PDA

View Full Version : Flexdrive stuffing tube- straight or s-bend?

BHChieftain
07-19-2011, 12:00 AM
What's the best install plan for a new stuffing tube for a flexdrive? Straight shot from motor to the strut, or with an s-bend?

Thanks,
Chief

sundog
07-19-2011, 08:45 AM
Neither would be my choice. A 'U' bend will allow it to straighten out at the strut. There's no need for the motor to be level (S bend) in a FE setup.

Nitrosnifer
07-19-2011, 09:09 AM
The S bend is used in the JAE line of boats. I've always used a straight stuffing tube in all my riggers/scales. I built the JAE as per the instructions with quite a s bend. I thought it would drag but not so. The S bend follows the cables natural wiping and holds it in place actually creating lesser drag than with a straight or U bend. This was taken from the manual
Why an “S” shape?
Tests have proven that a tube with two
bends has less drag than a tube with one.
The reason is that two bends support the
flex cable better, reducing cable whip, and
drag.

Nitrosnifer
07-19-2011, 09:11 AM
I guess you need to test it all out for your build/boat. I've seen scales running 3/16" cable and a "S"bend running hard where I've broken 1/4" cable in a similar boat without the "S" bend.

sundog
07-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes, I have heard rumors of the virtues of the S bend, but have been skeptical myself. Like Nitro said it would be best (but a pain in the arse) to test each type in your boat to be sure.

BHChieftain
07-19-2011, 09:49 AM
Thanks guys. The boat I have actually already has an s-bend, but I may need to rework the driveline, so if I do was wondering if I should keep that design.

Chief

GP73
07-20-2011, 12:46 AM
What about deepvees? I need to reinstall the stuffing tube in my Pursuit, I could go straight or have a gentle U curve like the original stuffing tube.

The original stuffing tube got too hot and exploded after the flex shaft twisted. Initially I've fixed it with a smaller brass tube inside the remaining stuffing tube and used CA to glue them together, I was running a .187 cable without teflon and it worked well the first time, but the second time it was getting very hot again (200F).

Now I'm not sure anymore, should I try the s-bend?

Is it ok to cover the stuffing tube with a couple of layers of FG? Or should I just sand the bottom of the tube and use only epoxy?

GP73
07-20-2011, 02:29 PM
Here is how it looks straight in, there is quite a bit of space under it, should I fill the space with epoxy or should it be laying flat on the bottom of the hull? :confused1: :help:

I'll be building another tube support, but I'm waiting for your expert opinions if I should go straight, u bend or s-bend since the support will have to match the tube. :smile:

driftah
07-20-2011, 02:58 PM
the gap should be filled with a piece of wood with a hole to match the stuffing tube imo.like a doughnut glassed or epoxied to the floor contour.to help stabilize the tube from vibrations and create rigidity in the driveline.

GP73
07-20-2011, 10:49 PM
I hear you, I just built a small wood support, but your idea sounds much better. Now, how do you drill a U shaped hole in a block of wood? :biggrin:

But what about heat? Isn't that going to heat up the tube even more?

Picture of what I was going to use:

I was going to lay some FG on the support and the tube.

the gap should be filled with a piece of wood with a hole to match the stuffing tube imo.like a doughnut glassed or epoxied to the floor contour.to help stabilize the tube from vibrations and create rigidity in the driveline.

driftah
07-20-2011, 11:30 PM
bingo you got it bud glass or epoxy it down