PDA

View Full Version : Prop Help?

Ramrod
07-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Hi guys, I recently bought a grimracer L40x57 prop for my 27R and after installing it, my boat just seems to cavitate and can't get up on a plane. The stock plastic one works great.

Is this the wrong prop or do I just have to make an adjustment to the boat or sharpen the prop?

Thanks for you help.

Ramrod
07-18-2011, 02:33 PM
The recommended prop for this boat is a GrimRacer 42 x 55 Metal Prop. The hobby shop sold me what he had and said it would be good.

Fluid
07-18-2011, 02:42 PM
That is a lifting prop, better suited for a hydroplane. On a mono it is no surprise that it does not work well, it does what I'd expect it to do. I am sorry that your hobby shop is more interested in selling old stock than in actually helping its customers. Now you know why so many of us use on-line sellers like OSE. 90% of LHS employees either know nothing about boats, or don't care.

Ramrod
07-18-2011, 02:48 PM
That's what I thought and you are right about the hobby shop. I'll stick with the stock one for awhile longer and try to hand him this one back.

Thanks for the reply!

boatman cmbc
05-14-2012, 08:45 PM
prather s-220 thats what works on mine

dana
05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
As fluid pointed out, it's a terrible choice for your sv.

siberianhusky
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
The Prather is a good one, in rougher water mine seems to do very well with an Octura x440/3 - 3 blade 40mm diameter.
Personal opinion is the smaller diameter has less of a torque effect when the boat is bouncing and rolling, LOL Have no clue if thats really why, just seems to work so I'm happy. Could be any number of reasons in reality.
Possibly because it always has blade in the water?
Maybe just because it is just isn't as fast......

dana
05-25-2012, 09:55 AM
The Prather is a good one, in rougher water mine seems to do very well with an Octura x440/3 - 3 blade 40mm diameter.
Personal opinion is the smaller diameter has less of a torque effect when the boat is bouncing and rolling, LOL Have no clue if thats really why, just seems to work so I'm happy. Could be any number of reasons in reality.
Possibly because it always has blade in the water?
Maybe just because it is just isn't as fast......
I agree. I try to stay within a certain diameter prop based on the size of the hill. Big prop on small boat= handles like crap