PDA

View Full Version : Team Checkpoint 1030 Charger

pilot370
07-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Hello!

I just picked up a King of Shaves P1 and want to run a 4s 5000mah. Can I use my TC1030 with it's 12v 25 amp power supply to charge this type of battery? If so will I need a balancer? I believe the charger can do up to a 1-4s lipo. I only have experience with NiMh. I dont expect to charger anything larger than a 4s for the near future. Just looking for more experienced guys than myself to help out!

Thanks,
John

Stinger9D9
07-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Yes, you can charge lipo packs with that charger. I use my Duratrax ICE charger which is very similar.

You'll need a balancer - you can either use an astroflight "blinky" which is a really clever little device:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMRZ9&P=7
You just plug this into the balance tap (on the lipo battery pack), and connect the main wires of pack to the charger just like you would a good old nimh pack, set the charger to charge a 14.8 volt lipo pack and start it up.

Or you could use one of these:
http://www.trakpower.com/index.asp?page=Products/tpvbalcomplete.asp
Which you plug in between the battery and the charger - the balance tap plug and main leads plug into one side of the balancer, then you plug the wires leading from the balancer into the charger outputs - again, you just set the charger to charge a 14.8v lipo pack, and start it up.

Both of these balancers work by "scrubbing off" voltage from each individual lipo cell as the pack charges so they are all (more or less) at the same voltage from the time you start charging until the pack is finished.

Never leave your packs unattended when charging, and unlike nimh or nicads, lipos should never get warm during charging.

Hope this helps.

pilot370
07-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Yes that helps a lot! Do I need to find out the wattage of my power supply? Don't want to have to wait 4 hours to charge up a battery, although that would give me more time to play a couple rounds of Halo! :)

Stinger9D9
07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
I'm not 100% sure how many amps your 12 volt power supply needs to be, but I've never had a problem charging a 4S pack at 5amps with a 12 volt 9 amp power supply.

burgerchow1
07-19-2011, 01:47 AM
If you want fast charging, try some gens ace packs. You can charge these up to 5c. I can charge a 4s 5000 mah 35c battery in less than 10 mins.( as long as your charger can charge at more than 5 amps.