PDA

View Full Version : prop suggestion

bigemike
07-17-2011, 04:54 PM
I am looking for a prop less aggressive than the m445, it is a little much for me, I tried it and its fast but run times suffer bad and the electrics are getting hot.

longballlumber
07-17-2011, 10:30 PM
GrimRacer 42 X 55 has been a great prop.

Later,
Mike

dana
07-17-2011, 10:34 PM
I was just looking at the 42 55. Might grab one myself.

Stinger9D9
07-18-2011, 09:19 PM
I am looking for a prop less aggressive than the m445, it is a little much for me, I tried it and its fast but run times suffer bad and the electrics are getting hot.

Yeah, the m445 ran pretty hot on mine tonight too. It's pretty darn hot out (about 88F at 8pm - MUCH hotter during the day) and the water temp was probably pretty high too so that didn't help.

After about 4 minutes my new lipos came in barely breathing (96F) the ESC was a bit hotter (102F) but the motor was WAY too toasty (124F) for my liking. I may be putting the m445 on the shelf until I find some colder water (like a big lake) to run in.

I have a Grimracer 42x55 sitting in the pack waiting for sharpening and balancing, but if things stay this hot out for a while (and they're forecasted to) I may just stick with the stock prop - the motor always comes in cooler (about 105F) running it.

For the record though, with the bottom of the strut set even with the bottom of the sponsons and a little positive angle, the boat was a rocket with the m445.

I'm thinking of trying a detongued 42x55 or detonguing an Octura X442 to turn it into a m442 (which is a prop Octura doesn't even make).

Fluid
07-18-2011, 09:48 PM
....the motor was WAY too toasty (124F) for my liking....Wow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 124*F on a BL motor if the reading was taken soon after the boat stopped. Most motors are fine to around 150*F, some will not be hurt up to 185*F (although that is too hot for my liking). 125*F to 135*F - I'll take that all day long. In fact most of my motors have seen those temps or a bit more for years without losing any power - even the more delicate limited motors.

Stinger9D9
07-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Wow. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 124*F on a BL motor if the reading was taken soon after the boat stopped. Most motors are fine to around 150*F, some will not be hurt up to 185*F (although that is too hot for my liking). 125*F to 135*F - I'll take that all day long. In fact most of my motors have seen those temps or a bit more for years without losing any power - even the more delicate limited motors..

I guess I forgot to mention, that was 124F after the first 4 minutes and it was going nowhere but up from there.

I'm just playing around, not running 4 minute heats and then letting the boat cool down in between. I just want to go to the pond, drop the boat in and play, then put in the next pack, play some more and so on. With little or no cool down time between packs, if the motor is 124F after one pack, it'll be 138-140F at the end of the next pack, then well into the 140s (maybe low 150s) after the 3rd pack. (I've had it happen).

On the other hand, with the stock prop, the boat just keeps coming back for more between 105F and 110F pack after pack after pack.

I may be too conservative here, but I haven't burned anything up this way.

I am toying around with the idea of bringing an automotive washer fluid pump to the pond plugged into a spare 3s pack to circulate water through the cooling system for a minute or two between runs to cool things off instead of letting everything get hotter and hotter from heat soak too (again - mr. cautious here)

LordNegaDuck
08-31-2011, 12:37 AM
has anyone tried the grim 40 x 52 3-Blade on this boat?

wakesurfer8
06-21-2012, 03:13 PM
yea i have tried the 40x52...got me about 38mph top speed (boat was running kinda wet). It is the best handling prop i've tried and it keeps temps cool. IMO it would be a great prop to run on a windy day

Heaving Earth
06-21-2012, 06:34 PM
x442 maybe