ul-1 motor
seaking 120a esc
2- 2s turnigy 5000mah 40c batts
ocura x-445 prop
stinger strut
cog 29%
gps speed 35mph
temps: motor 130 esc 125 batts 117 measured about 1 min after 2 min run

shouldnt i be getting a bit more speed? i have the front of batts right on cog. the boat seems to be running real tight to the water. do move i batts forward will that loosen it up or is it a strut adjustment? both? differnt prop maybe x-642? i dont want it to loose i am running it in lso

ty

theron

BakedMopar
07-17-2011, 06:52 AM
What hull?

IMO that motor is not optimal for that size hull and prop although it will work. The UL-1 motor is a higher rpm low torque where it shines in hydros and smaller monos. Try to find something in the 1500-1800 range.

You could try to tune what you have to get a little more. Try to run it as loose as conditions will let.

Fluid
07-17-2011, 10:54 AM
shouldnt i be getting a bit more speed?...the boat seems to be running real tight to the water....I agree that the UL-1 motor is over-taxed in that hull, especially if it is running wet (tight on the water). You can try to loosen it up by moving the CG back and adjusting the strut a couple degrees up at the prop end. If you could lower the strut towards the keel that would probably loosen up the hull, but most stingers don't allow that. If you have trim tabs, make sure that they are well above the bottom of the hull.

The UL-1 motor does work well on some monos that size - the Titan 29 will fly with that motor if rigger properly. But the Titan hull has a lot of lift, yours may not. Try a smaller prop like an x442 and see it that helps, the motor is lugged down now. I too think you'd be better off with a motor having a 1500-1800 Kv. But you probably won't see 50 mph on any P-Limited power.

sailr
07-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Too much prop for the UL-1 motor on a mono. Try an X442. Move the batts back to get the bow up. If that doesn't quite do it, you may need to adjust the strut slightly ( 1 or 2 degrees) up (prop end up) Lastly, where is your strut located? Where is the center of the shaft in relationship with the bottom of the "V" at the stern. You may be running the strut too deep or too shallow.

WHICH 31" mono is it? What brand?

twofford71
07-17-2011, 11:21 AM
i was wrong when i put 31 ". i believe its a 32 df clone. the strut is located dead center of the stern.. i'll try all you guys have suggested and see if i can get this boat on top of the water...

thank you

theron

dana
07-17-2011, 11:29 AM
I agree with everyone else here. You won't get any more speed with the ul1 motor. I ran one in my Titan 29 and the best I ever got was 36mph. I tried every adjustment and prop I have. You need more motor. 642 is no good with ul1 motor

Fluid
07-17-2011, 04:21 PM
Where is the center of the shaft in relationship with the bottom of the "V" at the stern?
..the strut is located dead center of the stern...The question wanted to know how far above the vee is the centerline of the strut. "Dead center of the stern" would be at least an inch above the vee, surely incorrect. Two Titan29s in my club ran UL-1s with the centerline of the strut about 3/16" above the vee, these boats hit 40+ mph. A DF clone does not have near as much lift, no wonder it's a slug.

twofford71
07-17-2011, 04:40 PM
ok i measured from centerline of the strut to the the vee it is 3/16. moved the strut angle up. just ordered the x442

twofford71
07-22-2011, 06:18 PM
ok i moved the strut up 1 degree put x-442 prop on.. moved batts all the back as far as they would go and WOW !!! jumped up and stayed there a little to loose but i'll just move the batts forward a little bit at a time to calm it down a little but otherwise i like it.. i didnt gps it but for sure i got more speed out of it... temps on esc were 120 motor 125... thanks for the hekp fellas

theron