PDA

View Full Version : Stick Radio Programing Need Help

monojeff
07-15-2011, 07:12 PM
I am attempting to program a traxxas EVX esc.
I can program it fine with a pistol radio.
When I try with a stick radio I have I can not program the throttle positions.
It seams to be working with the stick radio but will not enter program mode so I am wondering is it working correctly am I getting full throttle and reverse travel?

Thanks

Edit: Programing sorted out and working correctly now.
New Issue:
Motors Spinning sporadically
I think I narrowed it down to having something to do with the bec.
When I disconnect the servo it seams to work normal but with the servo connected it spins the motors.
The servo is a s3003.

Any ideas??

marko500
07-15-2011, 10:55 PM
I just set up a XL-5 with a stick radio. I set the radio to neutral and entered programming mode on the esc. I then went to full throttle then full reverse according to the number of light blinks just as the programming directions said. Works fine. The motor sounds like I'm getting full travel.

Mark

monojeff
07-15-2011, 11:09 PM
The evx won't go into programing mode with the stick radio??
Everything is set like it suppose to be.
Not sure what's going on.

I guess if its working it won't hurt to try and run it??

marko500
07-16-2011, 12:05 AM
That's strange I would not think the radio being used would stop the esc from entering program mode. Can you tell by the sound of the motor if it seems to be going to full throttle? Is your throttle trim set to neutral when you try to enter programming?

Mark

monojeff
07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Seams to rev up nicely I did not want to floor it wasn't sure if that was ok while bench testing.
I guess I could compare it to my pistol radio and see if they sound the same at full throttle.

marko500
07-16-2011, 12:25 AM
Not a good idea to rev it up on the bench. Toss it in the water and give it a shot, just keep an eye on temps and everything until your sure it's OK.

Mark

monojeff
07-16-2011, 01:09 AM
Well I got the programing sorted out now not sure what was going on with it but I can get it to program properly now.
New problem the motors seam to be spinning sporadically?!
Def do not want to toss it in the water like this!!

Weird thing is it didn't seam to do this yesterday when I didn't have it programmed correctly.

I plan to install some Schottky Diode's but the fact that it doesn't have them shouldn't be causing this?

monojeff
07-16-2011, 02:07 AM
I think I narrowed it down to having something to do with the bec.
When I disconnect the servo it seams to work normal but with the servo connected it spins the motors.
The servo is a s3003.

Any ideas??

carlcisneros
07-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Jeff;
try a sepprate receiver battery pack and see what happens. If it works properly, then the bec is the problem.

monojeff
07-16-2011, 01:15 PM
OK so I took the servo out of the boat and laid it beside it hanging over the side of the boat with the receiver.
Everything works fine.
I put the servo back in the boat and the issue starts up again.

I tried multiple servos and also disabled the bec on the esc and used a battery pack.

With the battery pack installed the issue was worse as I had the pack and servo over the side of the boat and the battery pack caused the motors to act up.

Remove the battery pack and connect back the bec and servo over the side no issues. Put the servo back in the boat there it goes again.

Very strange.....
Only thing I can think is the motors are getting interference from something.
Both motors have caps on them maybe they are bad or bad connection??

marko500
07-16-2011, 01:27 PM
What type of radio 2.4 ,am, fm? How close are the Tx and Rx when you have this problem? I've had radios act up when they are too close together. I've also had radios act up in my basement shop under fluorescent lights.
Maybe try it in a different location and move the Tx away from the Rx.

Mark

monojeff
07-16-2011, 01:55 PM
Both radios are Hitec 75 FM radios.
The TX are a Hitec Aggressor & an old Hitec Ranger 3 Stick Radio.
I just realized I changed the tx but not the rx before I was just switching out crystals so I tried a different rx that I have and everything worked correctly.
One rx is a narrow band which is the one that was not working and the other is a extra narrow band which worked.
Is there a big difference in the two or in the one rx possibly bad?

I will try it out later with my 2.4 radio and see how if that works.

monojeff
07-20-2011, 01:30 AM
Success!! Turns out it was the caps on the motors were not on there good.
Was about to give up on it but persistence pays off.