PDA

View Full Version : Electrified drivetrain recommendations

Chenige
07-15-2011, 10:44 AM
OK, been lurking here a little while and am ready to ask my big question. First, I built a Dumas wood atlas van lines sport 40 about 25 years ago. Have extensively modified it over the years with an OPS engine, etc. Have a Seaducer mono and a few other nitro boats. Put the boats away about 10 years ago due to kids.

About 12 years ago I built up a bunch of Electrified "kits" for my nephews and nieces to build and made up a video building mine for them to watch. I think only one actually built it, but oh well. I have 4 more kits and my 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son want to build them. I figured I would build another for myself. My old one was built with a 19 turn speed gem motor, astro flight ESC and 1500 7.2V niCD. Surface drive.

Electrified was a boat in the boat RC mag back then. 20" long. Mine scoots along pretty well. Does turn right which I think is due to prop walk so I need to revise somehow.

So I would like to build with modern electrics which will introduce us into LiPO.

I am looking for suggestions on batteries, motor, ESC. Here is what I think I have found on the forum. I am trying to keep cost down.:

2 cell liPO Turnigy 5000mAh 2S 20C Lipo Pack
450 motor ADS300 Water-cooled Brushless Outrunner 3000kv 300w (revised)
ESC Seaking-25A Brushless ESC for Boat (Version 2.0)

Anything else I should know?

thanks, Chris

n.h.schmidt
07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
Hi Chris
I rember them well. I made four of them. They were very well suited for N1 and Spec 19 raceing. I raced them for years. Prop walk is a problem for them . Offset thrust helps them run straight. My last one had a steeper V and strakes that went all the way to the transom.That's the only one that tracked straight without any offset. I'm sorry I can't be of any help in the BL motors. Most today are only interested in going as fast as possible. That will not work with this little boat. 30 mph is a wild ride with this one.
n.h.schmidt

Chenige
07-27-2011, 08:51 PM
How much did you have to offset the thrust and how did you do it? Planning on building it like the plans with just a copper tube out the transom which is not easily adjustable . Also considering offsetting the stinger 1/4" to the right of center to see how that works?

Plans do show the strakes running to the transom. The one I built many years ago did have the strakes to the transom and it goes to right horribly.

Chris

n.h.schmidt
07-28-2011, 04:34 PM
Hi Again
I made two with just the stinger tube sticking out. They had the center of the tube offset to the right about 1/8". One of them used a aluminum tube for the stinger .I ended up bending the tube to the right to increase the effect. Two others I used strut hardware . They also had the exit offset that amt. The struts were also angled to the right some.
Sharp metal props also helps reduce the prop walk problem. A X432 is almost ideal for this boat.
n.h.schmidt

Chenige
07-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Thanks, I will move them to the right 3/8" and see how that works.