PDA

View Full Version : ESC fire STINK

ENCORE MAN
07-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Hi guys, I just bought a boat from a member on this site. The posting said there were "no issues" with the boat.I paid the asking price and extra for shipping to Canada. The boat arrived in perfect condition except for the fact there was a previous esc. fire and the boat has that acrid, putrid stink we all recognize and have grown to despise. As the boat sat in the box for over a month due to the postal strike, the stench is so bad my lovely wife won't allow my new toy to enter the house. Do you think the smell is an "issue" and should be disclosed when listing a boat for sale?????? Am I justified in asking the seller for compensation???????????
Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this subject. BG

Doby
07-14-2011, 10:13 AM
Is it just the smell, or is there residue left from the fire?

ENCORE MAN
07-14-2011, 10:51 AM
Doby, there are burn marks on the plywood base and residue on the Rubbermaid sub hatch cover and staining on the hatch rim.I was able to clean the rest and sprayed with Febrese which seemed to help. BG

sailr
07-14-2011, 11:04 AM
Use denatured alcohol to remove any 'smoke' stains left in the boat. Then spray the inside of the boat heavily with something like Febreze. Leave the hatch off and allow all to air out and dry. This should remove most of the smell if not all.

Insaniac
07-14-2011, 07:48 PM
Use denatured alcohol to remove any 'smoke' stains left in the boat. Then spray the inside of the boat heavily with something like Febreze. Leave the hatch off and allow all to air out and dry. This should remove most of the smell if not all.

You'll end up with a hull that smells like Fabreze! I did it on an SV-27 and it still stinks...

Eagle one all wheel & tire cleaner. Remove everything but hardware.
Spray in, let soak a minute, scrub lightly, rinse in bath tub/shower and it will smell and look like new.

sailr
07-15-2011, 08:23 AM
Hmmm, the febreze worked for me. Good to know about the wheel and tire cleaner though.

I love your signature! Thanks!