PDA

View Full Version : l Questions regarding programing of ESC with Tactic radio

tlandauer
07-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I have two boats using the same Tactiac radio, the ESCs are Seaking 35 and Seaking 90. When I program them they have the same problem: if I follow the instruction which is to set throttle trim, EPA, etc. to 100%, then they will not arm properly, next time I connect the batteries the motor spins mad. The only way I found that will work is to set the trim to minimum and then do the programing which allows proper arming. To get full throttle I wait until the boat is in water then I crank up the trim setting. Is this normal or am I missing something? :help: I hope I posted in the right place!
Tim

mm123521
07-12-2011, 10:41 PM
I have the tatic radio and am using T180 esc's.

If I dont follow the correct "power up" procedure, I get the same full speed - out of control, spin up.

The procedure I use:

1 connect main battery.
2 connect receiver battery
3 turn on transmitter.
4 Wait for two beeps from the motors / esc.
5 go to full speed on the transmitter trigger for 3 or 4 seconds.
6 go to Idle on the transmitter
7 the motors beep 4 times and you are ready to go

tlandauer
07-12-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks, just curious: where do you leave the throttle trim knob, I have to turn it to lowest setting. I also wonder since i am using BEC feature I hope I get the same good results as you, will try it out later.

mm123521
07-14-2011, 09:46 PM
The throttle trim does not matter because the procedure calabrates the ESC to the existing trim value. Dont need to touch the throttle trim.
The procedure works for my setup - let me know if it works for you.

Mark

tlandauer
07-15-2011, 03:02 AM
Thanks, Mark
I haven't got a chance to try it out, just got back from work, will let you know, thanks for following up on my issues with the ESC.
Tim

tlandauer
07-19-2011, 05:08 PM
Hi,
It worked beautifully! Thanks! for about 2 years I can't program because I followed the instruction---which sometimes does not work on every system that's out there. Your way takes imagination because every instruction tells you to turn on the radio first. I am glad that I posted here and you responded.
Thanks, man.
Tim ( like your Avatar, always wanted one myself, heck, if i have one of those I won't be in FE lol):laugh:

sailr
07-22-2011, 08:29 AM
The proper thing to do with the Seakings is to FIRST set the throttle calibration. To do it correctly, you have to have the transmitter on, hold the trigger to full throttle WHILE plugging in the power battery. Couple of beeps then go to low throttle. More beeps. Done. On some transmitters you may have to push the trigger all the way forward for the second set of beeps.

Now you can program the rest of the settings. I don't understand Mark's suggestion. It would have your motor running wild while setting the throttle range. You MUST hold full throttle while plugging in the battery. This will not activate the motor.

mm123521
07-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Sailr,
My procedure works, I use it every time I power up before a run.
The motor never runs away.

Mark

sailr
07-23-2011, 08:03 AM
Interesting. It must be the Tactic that lets it work that way. My method also works and is what is recommended by the manufacturer. I do know that your method would not work with an airtronics which I also use. I helped Hobbywing develop their speed controllers for aircraft many years ago. The calibration, the way I described it, is clearly spelled out in the instructions for the aircraft controllers but not sure about the Seaking instructions. I have always followed the same procedure with the Seakings and it works out great.

If your method works, then more power to ya!~ But if you use the method I described you don't need to do it at every power up.

mm123521
07-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Sailr,
I tried it using the instruction manual, but had trouble.
Every few times I powered up, the motor would power up to full speed.
My boat is a twin and one motor would go full speed and one would be OK.
I dont know what would make it work one way one time and another way the next time or why one motor would go full speed and the other would be OK.

It may be non standard, but The way I do it works every time.

Mark

sailr
07-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Good to hear Mark. I've filed it away as a solution if I ever have any problems. Thanks for the tip.