PDA

View Full Version : Lmt 2250

jjrctech
07-12-2011, 08:59 PM
What motor compare to or better then LMT 2250 ??

RaceMechaniX
07-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Neu 1521 is very similar, a Neu/Castle 1520 is close not quite as high quality.
Leopard and other will have similar can dimensions as the Neu's, but performance just isn't there.

ManuelW
07-13-2011, 03:39 AM
I have never driven a NEU motor, but right from the specs like weight and size I think it may need a 1527 to replace an LMT 2250.

best regards,
Manuel

RaceMechaniX
07-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Yes, perhaps the 1524 or 1527 are better matched. The 15 series Neu's are smaller diameter than the Lehner's so you'll have to add a little length to a Neu to get equal power output.
I have 1521's, 1527's, 2250's, 2260's and 2280's. The 1521 depending on the wind has matched the performance of the 2250 and 2260 Lehners with similar winds. The 1527 is a pretty strong powerhouse and showed more logged power output versus the 2260, but the 2280 was above the 1527.

D. Newland
07-13-2011, 03:29 PM
I used to race a 2250/8 (or 9) in P mono (4s). This was not the "HI AMP" version. I now run a 1521 1.5D Neu.

My 2250 is a great motor and very capable, but it really won't take much more than 120 amps without melting the endbell. I really don't run the 1521 Neu much harder than that, but I feel like I have more amp headroom w/the Neu.

RaceMechaniX
07-13-2011, 06:12 PM
With the Lehners you do have to be more careful about heat due to the ironless stator. I have been running the HiAmp fanned versions with good success. The fan works well for cooling the stator windings.

TG

ManuelW
07-14-2011, 05:33 AM
Hi TG,

thanks for the interesting comparision. Well I just looked shortly the datasheets and a NEU 1521 has 430g, a NEU 1527 has 555g and a LMT 2250 has about 560g. They all should be probably some of the best high-end motors available, so its very interesting to hear that even with smaller size and weight a NEU can compete with a bigger LMT motor. Just from the weights I would have put the NEU 1527 and an LMT 2250 on quite the same level.
Sadly NEU doesn't feature a suitable retailer here in europe which makes them quite expensive.

@ D. Newland: Well even for sport-setups I think the HiAmp version is a "must-have" which I'd recommend. But thanks to some others they now changed their production and so all 19's and 22's series motors now feature six "high-amp" outputs like the LMT 30's series and can be connected in Delta or Wye connection.

Best regards,
Manuel

RaceMechaniX
07-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Hi Manuel,

I would have assumed the same in till I learned more about the designs as they relate closely to several work projects. The Lehner rotor has a single pole pair (2-pole) design with disk magnets stacked end to end sometimes with the steel sleeve depending on model. The magnets are usually assembled unmagnetized and once secured on the shaft, they are magnetized. The Neu's use a 2-pole pair (4-pole) design for the 14, 15 and 22 series motors with 4x- bread loaf shaped magnets glued and composite wrapped onto an aluminum rotor core. The bread loaf magnets are usually pre magnetized. The Neu rotor design leads to a lighter design with similar magnetic performance.

The larger difference in mass of the motor has to due with the stator designs. Neu's use a silicon steel stator stack wound with copper wind to produce the magnetic flux. The stator laminations form the back iron and channel the eddy currents through the stator teeth. This is what causes the cogging feel in these types of motors as the magnet pole align with the stator poles. Lehner uses an "ironless" design where they wind the copped wire to form loops, but there is no stator lamination to wrap the copper around. To get the same flux density you have to have more copper in the loop compared to an iron backed design.

So given equal power outputs, the Lehner will be heavier due to its rotor construction and heavy copper fill in the stator. Both designs have pro's and con's but it demonstrates that mass does not always reflect performance.

I am total agreement about the HiAmp versions being a must have for boating applications. The new winding option like the 30 series on the 19 and 22 series motors is really nice.

BR,

Tyler