PDA

View Full Version : Another Tragedy It's just not worth it!

Chilli
07-12-2011, 04:00 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/capital-land/2011/07/man-rescued-germantown-lake-dies

Basstronics
07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Do you not run these same very risks swimming in open water such as ponds, lakes or quarries?

If your not in good health I agree, let the boat go. Also if the water is questionable.

Is this someone you know?

Any way it goes its sad.

JIM MARCUM
07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
If you aren't a great swimmer stay out of the water! I was raised in the water, swim like a fish & was a professional scuba diver for five years. I've swam to retrieve my boats a few times but always talk to anyone running a boat to shut down until I get back to the shore. Like anything else, if you aren't qualified at something dangerous don't do it. JIM

dana
07-12-2011, 05:41 PM
i bought a thule roof rack and a kayak. with j-hook mounts it unstraps in about 7 seconds and im in the water. best 600 bux ive spent so far

Chenige
07-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Sounded more like a heart attack.

Chilli
07-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Do you not run these same very risks swimming in open water such as ponds, lakes or quarries?

You do not because you are not going for a leisurely swim. You are on a recovery mission motivated by recovering a $500 boat. So the typical Joe who may have been a good swimmer and in better shape 10 years ago can easily get lured outside his capibilities.

We get these types of posts about twice a year. This is a reminder to the vets and a lesson to the newbies that things can go from fun to tragic in minutes.

Lastly, any bad publicity amoung model boaters is just one more reason for us to get shut out of places to run our boats.

detox
07-12-2011, 07:03 PM
During exercise excessive Lactic acid build up in your muscles will cause them to tire and not function. You WILL sink because your muscles will cease to function. Only a person (olympic swimmer) that is in the best of shape has a chance. I once swam for a boat that was 50 yards out and almost died. I was so tired I could hardly hang on to the boat for floatation

ray schrauwen
07-12-2011, 07:14 PM
Distances are very deceiving on water!!

Fluid
07-12-2011, 07:32 PM
Do you not run these same very risks swimming in open water such as ponds, lakes or quarries?Nope, you are not just swimming! That is the mistake so many folks make. In your quarry you are there to swim, concentrating on swimming, wearing trunks, etc. The R/C boater is trying to push/pull/carry an object he's trying to keep from sinking, his mind is not on swimming. Or if it sinks on the way in he's trying to carrying a dead weight. The result is far more risk even for an "expert" swimmer. One such died several years ago swimming for a boat in cold water. He thought he was in great shape and he probably was, but s**t happens. Now he's dead and his kids have no father. Was it worth it?

detox
07-12-2011, 07:52 PM
I remember I more than once joked about the "do not swim for it" subject. Drown? How could I drown? I am a good recreational swimmer and love to swim, but it almost happened to me.

Stinger9D9
07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
Being a proud owner of an AQ Motley Crew, I've spent a fair amount of time watching a disabled (broken prop shaft) boat adrift in the pond fairly lately.

Someone passing by suggested swimming for it. No bloody way.

It takes some self discipline sometimes. You may think, since it's brand new, it's somehow more valuable (or you may not have even finished paying for it), or - it's not that far from shore - or (even worse) the wind is blowing it away, across the pond or (eeek) across the lake.

If you can't afford to lose it, you really shouldn't be running it in the first place. Leave it as a static display model.

One good way to stop yourself, run in a flood control pond, or one that geese frequent. It'll probably be so skanky that you won't want to set foot in it!

Another couple things to look for before you let the boat take off out of your grasp: take a rescue boat (leave it in the car until you need it if you don't want to haul everything down to the pond), or take a fishing rod with a tennis ball to cast out to the boat - it works pretty well and can provide hours of entertainment for onlookers. (You'll never get it on the first cast - maybe not on the first couple dozen).

The best thing to do that I've found though, is get set up with the wind blowing towards you. If your boat dies (and isn't sinking) the wind will eventually bring it back to you. It may take a while - heck it may even be embarrassing if there's a crowd around - but it does work, and nobody has died standing on the shore waiting for a boat to drift in.

morewattsnow
07-12-2011, 08:53 PM
Had my 24" hydro sink just before I got to it with my chase boat. Thought about jumping in to try to get and decided not to. I have a wife and 2 kids plus lots of other people in my life. I can get another boat- they can't get another me. You mean something to the people in your life- don't be stupid. It's not worth risking your life for a few hundred bucks.

electric
07-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Swimming. This is sorta off topic, but.. I used to surf a lot on the West Coat (Huntington Beach and South of there) and there is no worse feeling than being out a big day (will call it 8ft to 10ft) and you duck under a giant wave and lose your board, then the leash that keeps you with your board snaps. There you sit floating...looking at your board happily going into shore and thinking...hmmm I have got to swim back in from God knows how far out I am through the surf and somehow make it to shore. AND you are alone, because you did a before work dawn patrol surf. Not a good feeling...chuckle.

D. Newland
07-13-2011, 12:08 PM
If you aren't a great swimmer stay out of the water! I was raised in the water, swim like a fish & was a professional scuba diver for five years. I've swam to retrieve my boats a few times but always talk to anyone running a boat to shut down until I get back to the shore. Like anything else, if you aren't qualified at something dangerous don't do it. JIM

Jim-with all due respect and with no intention of singling you out (I could say the similar things about myself and my swimming/scuba abilities), this is a public forum and I feel it's best that we all have a united front about not swimming after boats. I really don't want anyone getting the impression that it's OK if they feel they can swim well. It's not the case. Really. Even our actions lakeside need to reflect this united front. Our hobby depends on it. Someones life might, too.

To all: Please have adequate floatation and have a means to retrieve a dead boat.

electric
07-13-2011, 01:35 PM
Jim-with all due respect and with no intention of singling you out (I could say the similar things about myself and my swimming/scuba abilities), this is a public forum and I feel it's best that we all have a united front about not swimming after boats. I really don't want anyone getting the impression that it's OK if they feel they can swim well. It's not the case. Really. Even our actions lakeside need to reflect this united front. Our hobby depends on it. Someones life might, too.

To all: Please have adequate floatation and have a means to retrieve a dead boat.

You are correct. It does set a bad example. So, let me tell you also that despite the fact that I am very comfortable in the water and could basically float around all day in it, I bring a blow up life raft and ALWAYS use it to go get my boat (if the trusty fishing pole does not work). Without exception. I figure, as a group, I need to do my part to comply and not drive up Namba insurance rates with any foolishiness. I might also add, in Texas, where some of the smaller ponds have been stewing in the hot summer sun, there is no telling what bacteria etc is floating in the water...

Shooter
07-13-2011, 01:49 PM
That is a tragedy. One thing I learned some years ago is that a lot of these smaller ponds have VERY soft bottoms, so even if you get into shallow water, you sink! My wife got out to save her flip-flop of all things and nearly sank in 3ft of water!

JIM MARCUM
07-13-2011, 05:57 PM
I totally agree that a united "don't swim to retrieve a boat" is an excellent concept. The times I've swam after my sinking gas boats was at the Model Boat Basin in San Diego's Mission Bay. The pond is salt water & about 75 yds by 150 yards & 8' deep. The wind will usually blow the boat to shore if you forgot the tennis ball & pole, but I only swam for it if it was going under. I won't put my electric baots in saltwater for obvious reasons. At the "secret lake" I've been using for my electric boats I stay downwind so it will float to shore, eventually. Niether pond is a NAMBA site for power or electric boats. The Model Boat Basin is a NAMBA site for sail boats only. I'm an expert swimmer, a professional SCUBA diver & can easily free dive to more than 45' deep. What I do is not something I would NOT recommend this for anyone else. Especially at any NAMBA pond. JIM

BakedMopar
07-13-2011, 06:11 PM
IMO using a blow up raft is just as risky as swimming for a boat. We all talk about the dangers of sharp object that could slash you, boat powering up etc. The same can be said to that raft. Now you'll be in panic mode if that thing starts to loose air. I will agree on this "don't swim for a boat" in most situations. If you do use caution.

electric
07-14-2011, 04:50 PM
IMO using a blow up raft is just as risky as swimming for a boat. We all talk about the dangers of sharp object that could slash you, boat powering up etc. The same can be said to that raft. Now you'll be in panic mode if that thing starts to loose air. I will agree on this "don't swim for a boat" in most situations. If you do use caution.

For the record, my boat has three seperate air chambers! The good news is it only cost me about 30 dollars and I am on my second season with it.

Skullcracken
07-14-2011, 11:01 PM
You'd think the friend that swam and pulled him out of the water could have gotten the boat for him? Should have asked, not to be insensitive.

Skullcracken
07-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Have to admit, I've fished my boats out a few times swimming for them, and I've had a hard time because I'm trying to hold the boat level while I'm swimming hoping to keep water off the electronics. I have an unrelated public service announcement: if you flip your boat, pull it out and set it to dry out. I was brining mine back in after a jet skier uprighted my EKOS that I rolled and I stupidly drove it back in. It started "twitching" on the way in then one motor full throttled on me and made the boat 90 degree it to the left into a parked ski boat. That could have been someones leg, or a kid.

Jeff Wohlt
07-15-2011, 12:15 AM
Well hell...anyone think about a friggin life jacket at walmart for $16. I keep one of my fishing vest jackets on the shore should I decide there is no time for getting the kayak out. As long as the water is warm...no issues. Pretty simple to stay afloat!!

T Nissen
07-15-2011, 07:30 PM
Swimming. This is sorta off topic, but.. I used to surf a lot on the West Coat (Huntington Beach and South of there) and there is no worse feeling than being out a big day (will call it 8ft to 10ft) and you duck under a giant wave and lose your board, then the leash that keeps you with your board snaps. There you sit floating...looking at your board happily going into shore and thinking...hmmm I have got to swim back in from God knows how far out I am through the surf and somehow make it to shore. AND you are alone, because you did a before work dawn patrol surf. Not a good feeling...chuckle.

That would suck. I've never lost a board heading out or had a leash snap but have seen it happen. What a waste too, all those double overheads rolling in and no one to ride them, lol.

Stinger9D9
07-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I just went to the pond tonight and realized I didn't have my fishing rod with my when I got there. The wind was dead calm so if anything failed on the boat, it wouldn't be drifting to shore anytime soon. The pond's also far enough away from home that I can't just run home quickly to get the fishing rod - if the boat got stuck on the water, it would probably be gone once I got back.

I didn't even take the boat out of the car. I'd rather not run it when I have no safe way to retrieve it. Murphy's law tells me that the boat is just waiting to break once I have no way to bring it back.

I think I need a small rescue boat dragging a tennis ball along on a tether (maybe a reef racer). It's a bit more slick of a solution than a fishing rod anyway.

ejimbo4
07-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Hello to everyone! My name is Jim and I will soon be getting into the boat side of RC! I have been into trucks for the last few years and understand that they have absolutely nothing to do with boats except for the power plant pretty much so I have been doing a lot of research before my first purchase and then this thread pops up! They actually suggested swimming as a form of retrieval at my LHS here recently and I actually considered because........I have grown up around water all my life and figured if I HAD to I could swim for it! After reading this it makes me feel a lot better about my purchase earlier today!

http://www.emotionkayaks.com/HTML/Kayaks/mojoangler10.html

Now I will be able to enjoy two of my favorite hobbies... RC and Fishing!!!! :rockon2:

And found a pedal boat so me and my wife can enjoy together!!

Thanks for having me on the forum and I am so looking forward to my first boat and learning something new!!!

Skullcracken
07-15-2011, 09:55 PM
How much was that. I've been considering a kayak.

Stinger9D9
07-15-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow that's a nice kayak! I bet that was a pretty penny.

It sure would be nice though, I could go run in a lake rather than a smelly, goose poop pond!

Simon.O.
07-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Not one to thrash a deceased equine here but I'll add my 2 cent worth again.
I stood and watched a hull of mine sink to the bottom this morning and at no point did I even consider a swim for it.
I also turned 80 laps in the pool yesterday so I am well aware of my skills, I am also aware of the dangers of an impromptu swim while my head is not clear.
I had a diver (a good mate) recover the remains of my hull later today.

See my thread for the damage
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?22903-Simon-s-New-Balsa-rigger.&p=339754#post339754

DO NOT SWIM FOR IT !!

ejimbo4
07-17-2011, 01:17 AM
My friend got it work for nothing it has never touched water and he didn't pay anything so I offered him half the value as long as he delivered! LOL! He is a good friend and I lucked out but I will not ever swim for my rig after this thread so thanks guys! As soon as I figure out what I am going with i will let you know!

siberianhusky
07-17-2011, 06:40 PM
Today John Mclean and I were running off his full sized boat, really hot beautiful day so we decided to try the life jacket retrieval. Let me tell you trying to swim for a boat and push it back while wearing a life jacket is hard!
I have a very physically demanding job and am an excellent swimmer but after my second "swim" I was feeling it. At no point was I at all worried about not being able to make it back to the boat but it took a lot more out of me than just swimming a couple hundred yards would have!
I could easily see how somebody in not to great a shape could end up in trouble pretty quick even wearing a life jacket.
The distance would have been a nice recreational swim if I were just going out to the boat and back, nobody would ever have thought twice about swimming that distance.
My advice now is don't get in the water to go after a boat life jacket or not!

egneg
07-17-2011, 08:02 PM
I use a Cen Waverunner that has about 10 feet of line and a floating grappling hook to rescue boats. Folks get just as much enjoyment watching the boat being snagged and hauled back in as they do watching the boat run in the first place. I have never gone into the water after a boat and never will.

P.S. I have been swimming since I was 6 and passed the the Red Cross life saving course.

siberianhusky
07-18-2011, 06:00 AM
Just to clarify, We were very safe, person keeping watch on the full sized boat, life ring ready to throw, swim suits on. Was a very interesting test in a quite controlled environment. One I'll never repeat!