PDA

View Full Version : Triton Build

goldendesign04
02-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Like my other builds going (Graupner Rigger & SW30 Cat) I have enough to start a post. So here she is! Toysport Triton courtesy of Taylor. This one is going to be the expiremental in terms of hardware. So here I will list my intentions:

-Power-
Kb45 8XL (courtesy FE_Chris)
ETTI 200A ESC or to be determined
4s to 6s 3800 to 5000mah lipos

-Prop-
To be determined

-Hardware-
This is where it get interesting, I just bought this http://www.stuller.com/products/product.aspx?gid=592f485e-aced-4d75-9dcb-a3fe4d8518da&cid=20455d6a-8e72-4d71-9e52-69148c6a0380
which means I can use CAD to design my own hardware in a wax or plastic then use a high temp kiln an crucible I have (temps ranging 500* to 5000*) an cast my own running gear.
My thinking on this is to use either Titanium or Tungsten Carbide for the stinger an rudder. Why you may ask? Because I can an wouldnt it be freaking awesome!?! I need to do some research on the properties of these metals to decide which would work for my application the best an then source out the raw materials. An go from there. This may take a little bit but heck, I got time.

-Wayne

Eyekandyboats
02-23-2008, 12:27 PM
fabulous! how do you like my graphics?
the motor is tank!!

goldendesign04
02-23-2008, 12:52 PM
graphics look good!
when I got the motor I was like :w00t: :w00t: ITS HUGE!
It should be interesting to say the least

-Wayne

Eyekandyboats
02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
it needs more power!!!!!!
the boat likes big props

kck741
02-23-2008, 02:15 PM
thats the big block of FE motors

goldendesign04
02-23-2008, 03:15 PM
yup, Im in the "theres no replacement for displacement" mentality. First step for me right now is to do the research on the different alloys I can cast an decide wether this is something I want to pursue, which it probably will be but for timing issues Id like to have this in the water soon so Ill probably buy a stinger an rudder an continue development of my own on another thought line.

Big props an big batteries are the focus right now, I think Ive narrowed down the ESC but waiting on some reponses from the companies.

-Wayne

goldendesign04
02-23-2008, 03:16 PM
by the way, the motor beside the kb is a lehner basic 5300 just for size reference

Flying Scotsman
02-26-2008, 05:38 PM
Wayne, with your knowledge of jewelry and metallurgy. I await your response as to the benefits of the proposed make up and yes, I also hope, I have time.

Douggie

justneedspeed
02-26-2008, 08:08 PM
fabulous! how do you like my graphics?
the motor is tank!!

Eyekandy where did you get toose graphics they look tight?:spy:

Eyekandyboats
02-26-2008, 08:47 PM
just need speed.
I made those my self. I do all graphics work my self

justneedspeed
02-26-2008, 08:55 PM
just need speed.
I made those my self. I do all graphics work my self

Sweet you did a really good job with them.:spy:

Eyekandyboats
02-26-2008, 09:00 PM
thank you.
just a FYI those graphics if you were to buy that set. would sell for a good 110 dollars depending where you bought it. But my cost is VERY less other then my many hours on cad doing it.

goldendesign04
02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Wayne, with your knowledge of jewelry and metallurgy. I await your response as to the benefits of the proposed make up and yes, I also hope, I have time.

Douggie

Yup douggie its a waiting period so far Ive gotten mixed results from vendors about using the casting capabilities I have (vacuum bell forced induction) Some say it may work citing reasons for problems are oxygen bleed in while heating an pouring an some told me Id have to ionize the crucible to attain a pourable slag. All these things must be coonsidered naturally but my thinking is I might as well give it a try so I ordered 3 grams of tungsten carbide casting powder an 3 grams of titanium casting grain gonna stick it in my kiln an watch to see melting temps an fluid temps then cast a flat sheet shape so I can use the old dapping block to get an idea of tensil strength. Quite a bit of R&D to go but Im making a start of it!

Ohh yeah an on a side note ordered speedmaster hardware for now and still deciding on esc, I really want the capabilities to run 5 an 6s so we shall see!

-Wayne

Steven Vaccaro
02-27-2008, 04:56 PM
Wayne its cool to see another jeweler on the board. Where are you located? I've been in the jewelry business since the age of 13 and I'm going to be 38 this year. I also buy from Stuller. I consider them the Microsoft of the jewelry world. They cover almost every aspect of the repair and manufacturing end of the biz.

By the way I look forward to seeing your hardware casts.

goldendesign04
02-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Im currently located in Florida an started doing jewelry when I was 15 as something to do in the summers with my uncle Im 25 now worked for evey company you could imagine jareds (sterling inc) friedmans, littmans, a locale company here called bonds (handled 4 of their 8 stores) an now have a little 1000sq ft store I opened a little over a year ago, been great fun an hair raising at times but am happy to be the "boss" even if its just to order myself around :tongue_smilie:
Stuller is great! Yeah they are the Microsoft of jewelry an if they dont make it youll be hard pressed to find it elsewhere.

-Wayne

steveo
03-01-2008, 11:36 AM
where in florida are you located

goldendesign04
03-01-2008, 12:59 PM
live in the tampa area