PDA

View Full Version : EKOS - First run experience and question

oneboatnut
07-11-2011, 11:51 AM
Ok, so I researched which first electric boat to buy and despite everything I read, I decided to buy the EKOS because it is simply one of the nicest looking boats out there (IMO). I loc-tighted all the screws and made sure everything was in working order before her maiden voyage. Dropped her in the water and let her rip. 2 passes later, she dies on me. Didn’t take long to find one of the ESC connectors came loose -- no biggie, just used some hatch tape to keep that from happening again. Drop her in again and make 4-5 more passes and then the rudder servo locks up - I can only go in a circle. So, all-in-all I had about 5 minutes of fun. I must admit that I was a bit disappointed since I thought going to electric would have been more reliable than my Nitro Proboat 26 but I guess they will both have their issues regardless of power choice. I dont regret my purchase but was really hoping to go through at least two sets of batteries before complete failure and the servo would have been my last guess on what would have failed first. To minimize my risk of failure in the future, I have ordered a new Savox high-end servo, wire drives, and upgraded couplers. Now, as to my question: Is there anyway to get around having to use hatch tape? has anyone made a water tight hatch seal on the EKOS?