PDA

View Full Version : Painting/Airbrush question

Lockk
07-11-2011, 07:22 AM
Ok after spray can painting I am going to try something else now this wasn't my first rodeo with spray cans I never
had much luck with it on my helicopters either and now I have tried Belton Molotow which I find no better then
duplicolor and in fact the clear was much worse then duplicolor.

So my question is if I'm using an air brush and I want say pastel orange for a base color do I simply go to the PPG
store and tell them that and they mix a quart or do you guys use something else? I went to Testors site thinking I
could use the 1/2 oz bottles but guess what in enamel they only have orange in spray cans!!!!

Obviously a quart is lot for a boat but if I have to buy that much oh well.

bardahlracing
07-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Automotive paints,reducers and hardeners are pretty pricey, i did a 1/10 scale boat recently and used K & B epoxy (I have had quite a bit of this stuff for many many years) and the scallops on the boat I used duplicolor in the rattle can, i then used PPG concept 2000 automaotive Urethane clear (that I have had for sometime) and it laid on really nice over the duplicolor rattle can (gold on the scallops), i would say if you can get the duplicolor rattle can colors in the colors you want and have a way to just use the Urethane automotive clear you should be fine, I have had no issues with hatch tape pulling clear/color or racing hurting the paint/clear either> my .02(I will use their qts and spray it on with paint gun)

bardahlracing
07-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Previous post had pic of boat before clear was applied, my mistake.

egneg
07-11-2011, 07:27 PM
There are places which will sell you airbrush ready paints or you can mix in the reducer you need. Bear air is one. dixie arts, and west coast airbrush are others. As far as color is concerned, they invented the color wheel so you can custom mix paint to the shade you need (hint - never use black or white for mixing unless you are working in grey tones).

Flying Scotsman
07-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Way to go Chuck....this moron knows a bit about painting.

Douggie the moron of all morons