PDA

View Full Version : Thought id see more posts on JAE mini sprint??

monojeff
07-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Surprised I have not seen more people talking about the mini sprint or showing build pics and info??

Who's got one and who's building one?

What setups are you running?
Anyone running or plan to run a different motor combo then used by zipp?

Post some pics and videos!!

chopslap
07-11-2011, 03:43 AM
I am building one, first boat in a long time. It was going to be a genesis, but didnt want to spend that much coin at the moment. I got nearly all I need for the mini sprint on hand and always wanted a rigger so thats it. I would like to say thanks to those responsible for the plans. I may modify to fit lipo.

My setup;

scorpion 2221-4400
50amp esc, cheapy sitting in my draw.
servo HXT9g
2200mah 3S 40C

Anyone dare to recommend a prop?

monojeff
07-11-2011, 04:04 AM
Sweet, I also plan on using some xtra stuff I have around.
I have spare wood from a 1:10 scale I'm working on and a traxxas 380 4000kv motor I think I might try out.

As for props I guess start with the 427 and work your way up??
Do you plan on starting a build thread?

I still have atleast a month till I think I'll be able to start mine which is why I started this thread trying to get some inspiration.

chopslap
07-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I started cutting tonight. I felt a bit guilty after I wrote that I had started building, when in actual fact I had only printed the plans. I have got everything I need except a stuffing tube, shaft and prop. I ordered them from OSE a couple of days ago. I will make my own rudder out of stainless sheet or mill out of alloy if I dont like the stainless one. I made templates of the tube and sponson sides. I have two sons and a few nephews and can see these will be popular.

electric
07-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I have been running mine for about a month. I cheated and bought one pre-built. The thing is a blast to run. I am using the original recommended turnigy 4400kv with a 2200 2s. Boat handles great and a nice speed to it. Turns on a dime. My only issue is the drive shaft it comes with. I have three of these boats (one prebuilt, and two I am building) The first shaft came apart where the flex goes into the solid part of the shaft(lost the plastic prop, no big deal). I then "borrowed" a shaft from the second build and it just did the same thing this weekend. I am going to grab the third shaft this weekend from my other kit and see if it also does the same thing. Luckily, the props are cheap.

longballlumber
07-11-2011, 09:54 AM
I am slowly putting mine together. I bought 2 kits from Zipp when they were first released. Since I couldn't get the 4400kv motor, I went to a 3700kv and 2200 3S packs. Should be close to the same performance. Should be fun.

Later,
Mike

longballlumber
07-11-2011, 09:56 AM
I have been running mine for about a month. I cheated and bought one pre-built. The thing is a blast to run. I am using the original recommended turnigy 4400kv with a 2200 2s. Boat handles great and a nice speed to it. Turns on a dime. My only issue is the drive shaft it comes with. I have three of these boats (one prebuilt, and two I am building) The first shaft came apart where the flex goes into the solid part of the shaft(lost the plastic prop, no big deal). I then "borrowed" a shaft from the second build and it just did the same thing this weekend. I am going to grab the third shaft this weekend from my other kit and see if it also does the same thing. Luckily, the props are cheap.

You may want to give Joe at Zipp a quick email letting him know the stub shafts are coming off of the flex. If I know Joe well enough, he would want to know if there's a problelm so he can get it fixed.

Later,
Mike

martin
07-11-2011, 12:44 PM
You will deff be faster on the 3700kv & 3s than the original 4400kv on 2s. Martin.

martin
07-11-2011, 12:56 PM
I havnt used the original shaft & tube but the stub looks like its bonded with some sort of glue rather than a Loctite 603 type of retainer as theirs a bead of glue where the flex comes out of the stub. You dont get that with Loctite retainers as it dosnt set like that in the presence of air Im using 2 ball bearings & a wire drive in mine for less friction. Martin.

monojeff
07-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Sweet well post up some pics guys!

I look forward to getting mine going.

chopslap
07-11-2011, 07:11 PM
I havnt used the original shaft & tube but the stub looks like its bonded with some sort of glue rather than a Loctite 603 type of retainer as theirs a bead of glue where the flex comes out of the stub. You dont get that with Loctite retainers as it dosnt set like that in the presence of air Im using 2 ball bearings & a wire drive in mine for less friction. Martin.

I will be making a wire drive eventually. I am going with the flex as this is my first boat in a long time and I wanted plugnplay and foolproof.
Is your shaft stub 1/8?
Did you harden it after you made it?
What did you make it out of?
What size wire did you use?

Thanks

EDIT* Also what plastic prop and where from?

monojeff
07-14-2011, 06:39 PM
OSE sells drive shafts that should work for your purposes.

chopslap
07-14-2011, 07:40 PM
What do you guys think about just gluing the carbon tubes into the sponsons? I dont have any tube that will slip over the carbon tubes on hand.

monojeff
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
What do you guys think about just gluing the carbon tubes into the sponsons? I don't have any tube that will slip over the carbon tubes on hand.
Go to your local hardware store they will have some brass or aluminum tube it is cheap.
If you glue them and they break you can't replace them since you glued them into the sponson.

pescador
07-14-2011, 11:12 PM
Mines up and running with the stock setup and it's a blast, I have the 3500kv motor and 432 prop coming to try out and see.
I also found a set of 4 props on ebay 27mm-35mm for $7 to play around with.

Here's mine next to the JAE12.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/RC%20Vehicles/Zipp%20Sprint/66D69392-orig.jpg

monojeff
07-15-2011, 01:34 AM
Nice what battery you using?
I'm assuming your using the esc from zipp?
Can you post a pic of the inside with battery so I can see that!

siberianhusky
07-15-2011, 05:11 AM
I should really finish mine, built the hull and sponsons and just kinda lost interest in it, I don't build much during the summer, thats runnin' and repairin' time!
Have a couple of projects for the winter already, I'll finish mine then.

monojeff
07-15-2011, 05:16 AM
I should really finish mine, built the hull and sponsons and just kinda lost interest in it, I don't build much during the summer, thats runnin' and repairin' time!
Have a couple of projects for the winter already, I'll finish mine then.

Bummer I have to wait till then??
Shoot I might start and finish mine by then....
It is my next project after I finish my 1/10 scale thunderboat.
I believe I have just about everything I will need for the sprint already so just a mater of time to get it started.

siberianhusky
07-15-2011, 06:17 AM
LOL Maybe August, for some reason construction around here really slows down then, learned a few years ago to make sure to book work for August as the phone doesn't ring too much.
Between work, chasing work and a band I'm lucky if I get home before 8 in the evening. And now I have to look after a house and a few dogs alone! Doesn't leave much time for building boats.
PLowing snow during winter is building/vacation time even though I'm on call 24/7 from November 15 to April 15.
Well coffee done........
Cheers and have a great day!

pescador
07-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Sure no problem, I'm using the 2.2 Turnigy from the Zipp link and the Zipp speed control. If you keep the esc in the middle it just fits under cowl when it sits on the battery.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/Pescador58/RC%20Vehicles/Zipp%20Sprint/35be108e.jpg

My temps have been about 130F on both the motor and esc with the prop that comes with the kit.

martin
07-15-2011, 02:15 PM
I have found that a 2200mah 3s pack & esc wont go in, I notice this quite early in the build & raised the deck around 6mm-7mm at the rear with a slight taper to the front to keep the lines of the hull not looking far from original. Martin.

monojeff
07-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Thanks for posting pics nice and neat and tight fitting everything inside.

I think I will be running a suppo 200amp esc in mine.
I figured if needs be I could just make a larger cowl.

Why not put the esc in the nose as per plans it says you can leave it hollow if needed.
Maybe put some foam and room for the esc?

martin
07-16-2011, 04:53 AM
I looked at putting the esc in the front but not possible with the set up that i use. It was an easy mod that i done during the build which made all the difference to what i can get in now as i dont use stock motor,esc or batteries. Martin.

monojeff
07-16-2011, 02:03 PM
I looked at putting the esc in the front but not possible with the set up that i use. It was an easy mod that i done during the build which made all the difference to what i can get in now as i dont use stock motor,esc or batteries. Martin.

What motor are you running?

I am thinking about running a Traxxas 380 4000kv motor that I have on 3s.

NativePaul
07-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Here's mine, I built it for MiniHydro class racing, it has a 4800kv Mega 16/15/2 motor, Swordfish 40A ESC, 2s ThunderPower prolite g2 2100mah. U7nfortunately I didn't measure it whilst building and when finished I discovered that it is not 17" overall but 17" to the transom with the ski adding to the length, the max hull length for MiniHydro is 450mm so I had to take the tips off the sponsons to make it fit the rules, if I was doing it again I would increase the front angle of the sponsons so I could still put hardwood blocks on the tips.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/img_1753.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/img_1752.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/img_1750.jpg
And a JAE family photo of Mummy Daddy and Baby riggers.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/img_1742.jpg

monojeff
07-16-2011, 04:24 PM
Nice love the family photo.

Looks like your water cooling your motor or esc?

NativePaul
07-17-2011, 02:15 PM
I'm cooling both the ESC and the motor, it's probably unnecessary as both are running well within there limits but electrics run more efficiently the cooler they are and the rudder came with a pick up in it from Zipp so I thought why not.

monojeff
07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I'm cooling both the ESC and the motor, it's probably unnecessary as both are running well within there limits but electrics run more efficiently the cooler they are and the rudder came with a pick up in it from Zipp so I thought why not.

Can you post a pic of the inside of the boat so I can see how you have things laid out.

NativePaul
07-30-2011, 02:37 PM
Can you post a pic of the inside of the boat so I can see how you have things laid out.
Sure thing, It's different equipment but laid out pretty much the same as Pescador's, with the exception that mine has a safety loop in it.
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b310/nativepaul/044.jpg
Running in the rough at the nationals.

monojeff
07-30-2011, 10:32 PM
Sweet any idea on speeds your getting with this setup?
Lovin the action shot!

Also what props are you guys running??

monojeff
09-26-2011, 03:42 AM
OK guys so I am about to start cutting out some of these pieces to start my build and looking at photos it looks like the deck has a piece on the nose that extends outward which is not shown on the plans. looks like about a 1/16 of an inch or so right in front of where the hatch starts on the nose of the deck.

Assuming this is part of the top deck piece and not sure if it is needed because the plans show it straight.

martin
09-26-2011, 04:18 AM
The deck that hangs over is to make the tub wider to get a wider opening in the deck where the hatch sits & still leave some deck for the tape to sit on. The deck sticks out 1/8" with a 1/8" x 1/8" peice of wood under the deck lip. The 1/8" x 1/8" is stuck to the outside of the tub sides flush with the top of the tub before the deck goes on. Martin.

monojeff
09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Thanks Martin!!