PDA

View Full Version : Candy anti-spark resistor cause the ESC to fail?

tanasit
07-10-2011, 07:14 AM
I have been using the Swordfish 200A for several months in my pursuit with Leopard 4082 and Neu 1515 2D. As for ther prop, they are M445 upto M465 as well as X447/3 running mostly for 4S to 5S. The cooling is plentiful because I have 2 water pick-up and never run for more than 5 minutes. Also after every run, I checked the temperature of both the motor and the ESC which are never too hot to the touch. A few days ago after reading the post about the anti-spark resistor, I bought the 1.5 ohm 5W resistor and install as per the enclosed picture. I tested it a few times and it worked great. At the lake, with 4S and M447 I ran the boat about 3 min., then the Swordfish stopped working.

Is this just a co-incidents or the resistor has anything to do with the failure of the ESC? I have to ask this question simply because I only get one run out of this after I installed the resistor.

As you can see from the picture above, after I connect the negative wires and ready to connect the positive ones, I have to touch the resistor first then when I fully insert the bullet connector, the resistor will be disconnected.

Kenneth Ablack
07-11-2011, 10:16 PM
All the resistor does is provide a trickle current to the esc in order to prevent the connectors from being pitted. You said you tested it and it worked great, if it had to destroy the esc it would have done it when you were testing. It is quite possible the esc just failed .

JIM MARCUM
07-12-2011, 05:36 PM
No way the anti-spark resistor killed your ESC. There is a great wiring diagram under the anti-spark thread at: http://mgm-compro.com/pdf/en-antispark-d230808.pdf.
If you can't find it I've summarized how to do it below.

The purpose of the resistor is to send a trickle current to charge up the capacitors in your ESC. You just solder a small wire with the resistor to the male & female battery lead bullet connectors. Dosen't matter if you put it on the positive or negative lead. The resistor wire has a small bullet connector in it. If the resistor wire is on the positive lead, connect the negative main battery/ESC lead bullets, then the connect the wire w/the resistor bullet. After a few seconds the capacitors will be charged up & then connect the main positive battery lead bullets. No spark. JIM