PDA

View Full Version : Boat slowed down?

Snowride
07-10-2011, 07:02 AM
Well I was having a ball with the boat day before yesterday things could not have been performing better and ended up draining my 4 sets of batteries. Anyhow, I recharged and drop the boat in the water yesterday only to find out it runs well but probably 15-20 mph slower than usual. Everything is in perfect shape, removed and lubed the drive wire, tried 2 different sets of fully charged batts but no difference. Do motors kinda slow down as the wear out? What am I missing. Tacon 1700 motor, Turnigy 180 ESC. All suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

dag-nabit
07-10-2011, 09:02 AM
Check the stuffing tube for signs of heating (discoloration) that could indicate binding of the drive line, also pull the teflon liner to see if it is showing signs of wear.

Lubricate the motor bearings

LVC on the ESC acting up??

That's all I can think of for now.

Kevin

Snowride
07-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Think I found it. The receiver was full of water and is now toast. Won't even run this morning. Must have improperly closed the cover which made a bad seal. Probably not getting the full power signal yesterday and hence the slower speed. Guess I need to order a new one and a spare. Parts are a little tough to get up here compared to the states. Is the 2.4 receiver standard on all their models like trucks/cars?

My drive line has been perfect since I installed Jeff's version. Still running with teflon liner no problems at all. Will probably go with wire drive and direct as in no liner. Will change the stuffing tube to accomodate going linerless.

Doug B
07-14-2011, 12:21 AM
yes, from what I can tell its the same radio youd find in any of their 2.4ghz rtr models. I used to have a slash 4X4 and its the same as that, anyway (so is the radio box, I think)

Also make sure you didn't somehow put it in training mode.. I accidently did that when making sure the radio was all set up properly (doh!) it runs about half speed.

Snowride
07-14-2011, 06:10 AM
yes, from what I can tell its the same radio youd find in any of their 2.4ghz rtr models. I used to have a slash 4X4 and its the same as that, anyway (so is the radio box, I think)

Also make sure you didn't somehow put it in training mode.. I accidently did that when making sure the radio was all set up properly (doh!) it runs about half speed.

Maybe it was in training mode but like I said the water killed it the next morning. How exactly do you go about putting it in and out of training mode?

Doug B
07-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Youll have to set it all back up when you get the new receiver, but training mode is engaged when you start the boat with the throttle pulled back, and keep it pulled for 6+ seconds, race mode is 4 seconds, and normal mode is 2 seconds. If the rec was toast that may have been the entire problem though.

dag-nabit
07-14-2011, 08:17 PM
Youll have to set it all back up when you get the new receiver, but training mode is engaged when you start the boat with the throttle pulled back, and keep it pulled for 6+ seconds, race mode is 4 seconds, and normal mode is 2 seconds. If the rec was toast that may have been the entire problem though.

It just dawned on me, Snowride is running the T180, there is no training mode, that is in the stock Traxxas ESC.

You can try drying out the receiver by leaving it in a baggie full of rice overnight, they often come back to life. If it can be opened up, that will help it dry faster.

Kevin