PDA

View Full Version : Steering Blackjack 26

Eagle_one
02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
Has anyone made any improvement over the poor steering the Blackjack 26 has.

Has anyone tried the Twisted Liquid Racing Breakaway "Skater" Inline Rudder System?

What about the Fuller system? If this is the way to go what would be the parts numbers I would need to make this change.

Maybe it's the nature of catamaran's and I will just have to live with it.

Any help in this area would be helpful.

Thanks

MORIDE
02-22-2008, 11:58 PM
Just do some searches, you will find most any upgrade and some detail about the process.

TRUNKMUNKY
02-25-2008, 06:22 AM
I added speed master rudder, bracket, and fuller's strut .Cuts corners WAY better!

Eagle_one
02-25-2008, 07:17 AM
TrunkMunky,

Would you still have the part numbers for the Fuller drive parts including the drive cable? Are you running with a stock motor?

Did you have any trouble with the change over?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bill

TRUNKMUNKY
02-25-2008, 03:34 PM
This was not as easy as the fuller's cat hardware install would have been,but I didn't like the length of the cat hardware. .O.S.E. sells the speedmaster mini rudder and the strut and bracket here.And the complete flex cable and shaft as a kit is also sold here,just need the .150 to 3/16 pre assembled kit.I used the fuller's super strut ,( 12 - 32 cell long super strut - 2 1/2 long length strut for .150 cable and 3/16ths stub shaft bearing surface )
sold by fuller. I run an ammo2300 and pulso 100 ,both sold here,:The hardest part of the build for me was getting those darn screws out of the transom,(they all want to strip out and turn.)I also shot the front hull full of expanding foam.

zero9046
02-26-2008, 01:29 AM
Trunky, I didn't know you had a blackjack too! I haven't run sv's in a while, I'd really like to get out and run soon with my regular running mate, I'll definitely let you know when we do.

TRUNKMUNKY
02-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Hey ,glad to hear from ya,gettin itchy myself.Just finished up on this project and tested it out.Pretty fast,but I need another gps to test speed,as the last one didn't float for some reason:confused2: Got the Super Shark,running sweet,that thing is FUN to bash around with in almost any kind of weather.Too windy to run the bj today,but 85 degrees!Ammo 2300,elite 25c lipos,pulso 100amp,full hardware,and extra floatation,642 prop.,should get fast speeds,noticed something while playing with some props,the cen racing 42mm upgrade prop seems to be a detounged x642 in carbon fiber.I will test it out on the blackjack and check the performance,unless someone knows allready?

Eagle_one
02-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks for all your help.

I'm ordering from Fuller the following:

Next Generation Hydro (3/16 prop size)
With water pickup wedge rudder: $95.95
2 ½” extra long strut - for .150 cable and 3/16ths stub shaft bearing surface.

If you think I need anything else let me know.

I'll be running with the stock motor & speedcontrol.

I'm thinking of moving up to lipo batteries in the future.
Thats when I'll try a 640 prop.

TRUNKMUNKY
02-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Please be aware the combo you want to order is for a hydro,and may not work.The easiest install would be the Fuller's Offshore Catamaran Hardware,neither of which I used.I hope you read my post correctly on what I used,I got it all from Offshore ,except the super strut.If you prefer to use what you got,then I hope it works for you,but I think the strut bracket will be too close to the transome.:confused2:Fuller's Offshore Catamaran Hardware is the whole thing ,.and fits up to the top two holes in your stock existing hardware location,leaving only two holes to drill.and a flex cable and 130 to 5mm coupler to buy.

Eagle_one
02-27-2008, 08:09 AM
I was confused.

I see after reading your thread that you ordered from OSE & Fuller. How many inches is your strut from the transom?

The Catamarna hardware is pretty long but they tell me it works the best and it helps the boat from going air born.
Will the flex cable and 130 to 5mm coupler fit the stock motor?

I've seen pictures of both setups and I like the way yours looks.

Thanks for keeping me straight.

In both pictures I see that the turn fins were removed. Both setups must really work if you don't need them anymore.

Eagle_one
02-27-2008, 10:12 AM
TrunkMunky,

One other question:

Did you have to remove the teflon liner and replace a longer one to the strut?
If you did, did you have any trouble removing the original tubing?

How long is your rudder 4"?

TRUNKMUNKY
02-27-2008, 02:31 PM
The stock motor has a 5mm shaft,and the flex cable is .150. so it will be 5mm to whatever size cable you run,I chose to run the stock sizes 5mm to 150,but still had to remove the liner as it was too short to work with the strut and bracket I chose,The speedmaster mini rudder I chose is 4 inches long and the speedmaster strut and bracket is 2 inches away from the transom.I just bought the 150 to 5mm flex cable pre-assembled kit from here, it comes with the liner and cable and 3/16th prop shaft and cut it to size,very easy to do.

Eagle_one
03-01-2008, 07:08 AM
You have been very helpful with the new drive conversion.

My next step is what lipo batteries to buy and what charger?
Do you have any recommendations with the BJ stock motor & speedcontrol.

Thanks again for your expertise.

txboatpilot
03-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Check out the Elites, they are good lipos and great prices!! I also run PolyRC with great sucess.... I would get 2/ 7.4V 4800mAh 25C Elites.... About $135 shipped and Lots more Power and run time!!
http://www.rclipos.com/

OSE has a new Lipo charger instock....This is "the charger" to have if your going to run lipos!!http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcl-hyp-eos610duo

TRUNKMUNKY
03-02-2008, 12:32 AM
:iagree: I use these as well and they are great lipos for the money!

Eagle_one
03-07-2008, 07:02 AM
I'm told that Lipo's can explode if they get wet.

What are you using to protect you batteries from disaster?
What are you using to prevent batteries from catching fire during charging?
My concern is when the boat flips over it can take on some water.
They say never leave your batteries when charging because they have been known to catch fire.

I know there are many rc boaters switching to them, should I be concerned?

Thanks

TRUNKMUNKY
03-08-2008, 04:17 AM
I allways seal the lipo pack with rtv sealant where the wires come out of the pack.Lipos should allways be handled and charged to the manufacturer specs.I use a lipo sack,found at lipo sack.com when charging,and put them in a stainless steel stew pot with a cover! sounds funny,but I would rather be safe than sorry.I never had a pack explode or burst into flame when it got wet,and have fully submerged a few,but it is possible I am told, I have had them swell,ending thier usefullness.Safety is the key to charging and discharging lipo batts.Follow the manufactures specs,but keep an eye on them.I started measuring my packs when I first get them with calipers and writing the number on the packs ,then after each run check if there is any swelling going on,but thats just me. Balanceing the packs will prolong the life of the cells by evenly charging the 2 or more cells per pack,and a good charger specially for lipos is a must.You must use a lipo specific charger only or you will pop a pack! Hope this helps ,be carefull and safe with them and you will never want to use nmh packs again,lipos have a lot less weight and much more amp output .