PDA

View Full Version : Painting question

Lockk
07-08-2011, 07:22 AM
So I'm in the process of painting my 32 Cat I wet sanded the gel coat 400 then 1000 grit then painted. So far
its looking good, here are my questions.

Paint is Molotow Belton enamel from art primo

1. When wet sanding the paint before clear coat 1000 grit or 2000?
2. If I find areas that seem to be light on paint do I paint and and wet sand again or just put one more coat
on now? I don't think overly thick is good?

3. After clear coat wet sand and rub out or just call it good?

Thanks for any help or tips.

siberianhusky
07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
What type of paint? Enamel, lacquer, 2 part base clear?
Each type is different. But it's always best to follow the directions and not mix brands.
If you are using Krylon follow the directions exactly! I've personally never used it but one of the guys I run with did a couple of boats with it this winter, The boats look good now but I will not use that paint personally, he had problems with it.

Peacock8
07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
I would sand with 1200grit before clear. but be careful or you go through your paint and have to do another coat of color.
two coat of color paint is ok. I would sand between those too.

Ørjan.

liteumup69
07-08-2011, 12:03 PM
So I'm in the process of painting my 32 Cat I wet sanded the gel coat 400 then 1000 grit then painted. So far
its looking good, here are my questions.

Paint is Molotow Belton enamel from art primo

1. When wet sanding the paint before clear coat 1000 grit or 2000?
2. If I find areas that seem to be light on paint do I paint and and wet sand again or just put one more coat
on now? I don't think overly thick is good?

3. After clear coat wet sand and rub out or just call it good?

Thanks for any help or tips.

should apply 2-3 coats paint, depending on air temp will detirmin your flash (drying) time between coats, if its nice out above 75, usually 15 min between coats, after paint is dry for a full day, wet sand 1000, use a good cleaner to prep the surface for clear coat, clear coat
1-3 coats depending on coverage, don't worry about runs, they sand out, after clear is dry I usually d/a sand with 2000 then 3000 then 4 stage buffing, but thats on $$ cars, sometimes if you lay down the clear coat really good you get what I call a "no buffer" it looks good as is, but that rarely happens:unsure: any more ?? ask Ive been painting for 25+ years