PDA

View Full Version : Expanding foam?

DustinC
07-08-2011, 03:31 AM
I searched, but nothing came up.

I have a SV27R, and the foam on the inside will not stay in place. i know i could just shoe goo it in, but i had the idea of using expanding foam (like the insulation stuff) and putting it in the nose of the hull. could still cut out areas for the batteries and its really not that heavy.

anyone every tried this? or thought of trying this?

Dustin Sontag
07-08-2011, 04:47 AM
Use caution when filling your hull. A few have went a little far on the application and split hulls when it expands. I would recommend using closed cell foam board.

British Bulldog
07-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Hey Dustin (lol two on this thread already, 1st one!)

have a look on this thread, its all about flotation, i added my imput on it the other day and reasons why not to use expanding foam, and a solution that works for me, thats also cost effective & light!

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?25781-Removable-Flotation

Regards Bulldog

sundog
07-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Expandable foam is a bee-ach to remove. I would velcro the other stuff back in.:biggrin:

sailr
07-08-2011, 11:25 AM
If you ever need to repair the hull, you will be glad you did NOT use the expanding foam! No way to get back inside the boat where that stuff is. Just suck it up and use cut up pieces of pool noodle. Wedge it in tight. Never had a problem.

Chilli
07-08-2011, 11:30 AM
I use it, but not the spray stuff. A little goes a long way. I have gotten a barely noticable ripple on the deck of my boat but never the hull.

Digging it out is not that hard if you have to, but it's a messy job.

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

siberianhusky
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
HMMMM, I was thinking about using some spray foam to stiffen up the deck of a SV27, wasn't going to fill the front, just some low expanding on the underside of the deck.
The potential repair problem is one I never thought of!
Think I may just try to get a light layer of glass cloth in the center and keep using the cut up noodles.
I pull them out of the boat between runs to allow air to circulate, maybe this lets the noodle chunks dry out, I've never noticed any increase in weight.
Suppose if I did I'd pry open the wallet and spend the 2 bucks at the dollar store for a new one.
Tnks Sailr.

sailr
07-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Yep, that foam is completely different then the crap in the spray can at Home Depot! The stuff from uscomposites is excellent but pricey.

I use it, but not the spray stuff. A little goes a long way. I have gotten a barely noticable ripple on the deck of my boat but never the hull.

Digging it out is not that hard if you have to, but it's a messy job.

http://www.uscomposites.com/foam.html

D. Newland
07-08-2011, 12:42 PM
USComposites or nothing, if you're going down the expanding foam road. IMO. I like it and have it in a few of my race hulls.

It does have a shelf life.

Properly cut/placed pool noodles also work very well, and gives you the option to remove them if needed.

jingalls007
07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Here's where I purchase my 2 part 2# foam. Great customer service and fast shipping plus you can use paypal =) (last time I checked UScomposites didn't offer paypal)
http://www.aeromarineproducts.com/boat-foam.htm
The 2# stuff is easier to sand and easier to work with in general. The 4# foam is less forgiving but adds a lot of rigidity to the hull. I'd go 2# for your application if you decide to use 2 part foam. You'll have quite a bit left over however.

sailr
07-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Yep. The problem with the uscomposites foam is the shelf life. I have some I haven't reopened in 2 years. It's probably no good anymore.

tanasit
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Well, I did a few of my fleet with the spray stuff from H-Depot. First you have to use several pairs of gloves and you should have some spray solvent ready like the Carb or brake cleaner. The tube that comes with the can is too short. I taped 2 drinking straws for better reach.
You can NOT do this in one shot because the outside will harden first but the inside will still be wet and will not cure. Also remember that they a few kinds, some of which will expand more than the others. Spray no more than 2 inch thick and let it cure. In the meantime you have to clean and plug the end of the tube.

The lastest can that I purchased, has a reusable features which came in handy. Once the buildup come close to the point where you want to stop, I cut a piece of plastic apply some Vaseline and use it as the barrier before the last spray. Any excess can be trimmed up easily by the hobby knife. So if I am really happy with this modification. Of course I also used the pool noodles.