PDA

View Full Version : Have a new never run Spartan and want the new improved motor and esc

Bart Marshall
07-08-2011, 12:02 AM
So I have not taken my new Spartan out of the box yet because I only run my boats in August when I rent a cabin for 2 weeks. I have been reading about all the issues wondering if there may be a recall or if I should sell it. So when I read about the new 4 pole motor and esc I called Traxxas customer sevice and asked if I could send them my unused electrics for the new upgraded ones. I was told they must be bad to return for the upgraded items. I said it was obvious that the stock parts were flawed by the number of people who were on their second or third motor and esc. I was told their own boat at Traxxas runs great, as do lots of others (I wonder how many people are running 6's without problems-I think Traxxas is lucky that the vast majority of Spartan owners are running the nimh batteries that are included). So he tells me Traxxas will stand behind mt orig. electrics-no problem. I said it is a problem when I spend 2000.00 a week for my cabin rental and if my electrics fry I would never get a replacement before my vacation ended. And what about the shipping charges people are paying? I just feel they owe me the updated electrics so I can have a reliable boat to use on my vacation instead of hoping that a 2 pole motor prone to failure might not fry. I think that what I am asking is reasonable.

dag-nabit
07-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Myself and probably pretty much everyone else would agree what you are asking is reasonable. Unfortunately the bean counters at Traxxas don't see it as reasonable for the bottom line.

Also If Traxxas starts replacing non-failed components, that would be admitting they messed up, and that's not going to happen.

Is there any way you can get onto a pond for a few runs before your vacation? Statistically you should only need 2-3 runs on lipos to qualify for warranty replacements.

You should still have time to round trip the parts to Traxxas and back.

Kevin

Snafujg
07-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I tried the same thing with Traxxas and got the same response. They wouldn't replace it unless it was broke. Well, I broke it in the middle of a second run on 6S and sent it in yesterday. Unless you are one of the lucky few, you will more than likely blow it up on your vacation and will be without a boat. If you can swing it, I would suggest picking up an aftermarket motor and esc as a backup. Leopard 4082 motor with a Seaking 180A ESC is a very popular choice here. You could also look to a Leopard 4074, Leopard 3674, or even a Castle 1520 if you can find one. The 1520 is discontinued so you'd have to look on the for sale sections to get one. Some run a 1515, myself included, but if you're going to run 6S, it's advisable you upgrade to at least a 200A ESC to run that motor due to the 2200 KV rating that produces 49,000 RPM's on 6S. The 180A esc is better suited to 4S. Steve (OSE) actually has the 4082's back in stock as of today. That's the first time I've seen them in stock in a while. He also has the 180A esc and the programming cards in stock.

Good Luck.

GeoVW72
07-08-2011, 09:34 PM
:iagree: with Kevin.

Traxxas seems to think that people don't bother to do any research on what they buy. That's kinda why I'm surprised that there are those few threads still on their site, I though we weren't not allowed to bad mouth their product. Not that they need any help :laugh:

Bart: If you don't have the time to burn it up I may just be able to swap you one of the old motors I have that would qualify for the "fluttering" fault :wink:

Dustin Sontag
07-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Take system hook it up to 8S 1p and run it dry till she pops. Send it back and get the new version. problem solved

Or take the leads and plug the into a wall socket. 110v should do the trick lol I keed I keed.