PDA

View Full Version : Rudder water pickup placement

kookie_guy
07-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey all,
I'm in the process of building up a proboat shockwave 26 (in the build section if you wanna see it). Anyhoo, I'm gonna be making a custom bracket to mount the rudder, and was wondering about the water pickup. Is the idea to have the pickup line up with the center of the prop as shown in the picture? In my blackjack dual rudder setup I had no issues with water cooling/flow and it was obviously not mounted behind a prop.

So, should I do it as shown in the pic, or is there another proper way to place it?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/kookie_guy/Shockwave%2026%20build/DSC01108.jpg

Fluid
07-07-2011, 06:06 PM
I'd mount the rudder deeper, otherwise the inlet will be at the surface and will not get a full load of water. Mount the rudder bracket at the same level as the strut bracket.

- If you mount the rudder directly behind the prop it will give water flow even at low speeds.
- Mounted to the side you have to be moving more to get flow.
- Putting the rudder behind the prop can cause wobble on the straights with some hulls and you'll get aerated water in the lines.
- Behind the prop gives excellent turning in either direction.

It really depends on what you intend to do with the boat. If you will spend most of the time above half throttle and don't need to turn tightly to the left, put the rudder to the right of the prop.

kookie_guy
07-07-2011, 06:21 PM
I'd mount the rudder deeper, otherwise the inlet will be at the surface and will not get a full load of water. Mount the rudder bracket at the same level as the strut bracket.

- If you mount the rudder directly behind the prop it will give water flow even at low speeds.
- Mounted to the side you have to be moving more to get flow.
- Putting the rudder behind the prop can cause wobble on the straights with some hulls and you'll get aerated water in the lines.
- Behind the prop gives excellent turning in either direction.

It really depends on what you intend to do with the boat. If you will spend most of the time above half throttle and don't need to turn tightly to the left, put the rudder to the right of the prop.

I will do a tub test on it, and see how deep the rudder sits if I put it level with the strut bracket. On the blackjack it was too low, and it dragged in the water. Not sure if it's any different on the monos. I'll likely make 2 brackets for it. One that will do inline, and one that will do offset. I can make it so it changes out with ease.