PDA

View Full Version : Budget radios. Thoughts?

jamespl
07-07-2011, 03:05 PM
I've just got myself a proboat stiletto and not owning Amy spectrum radios I used an FS-GT3B radio. Now I'm not a racer I just like to have a thrash around the pond on my own. First impression are this is a pretty good radio for the money. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Now I'm not stupid enough to think that a £30 radio can compete with a spectrum but it makes my boat go forward & left and right plus the range is good so that works for me and my pocket.

domwilson
07-07-2011, 03:16 PM
What ever works for you. Many people here use the Tactic radio. Not heard many complaints about it.

HYDROJERRY
07-07-2011, 03:50 PM
i have many Tactics and havent had a prob yet and can get extra rx's off ebay for like 30.00,, some times cheaper than that..and you can use one tx and bind multiple rx's to it but they must also be tactic rx's..

johnmaclean
07-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a couple of those HK radios and have been very satisifed with its performance for the money

jamespl
07-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Deffo. Even if it only lasts 6-12 months I think they are still worth it for people on a budget. It's not just the cost really, I could afford a £300 radio but my wife would go nuts lol

siberianhusky
07-07-2011, 05:39 PM
John and I have run his radios side by side with my Spektrum DX2s and it performs at least as well.

detox
07-07-2011, 06:03 PM
Futaba has a new 2.4 budget radio. It comes supplied with one receiver and uses only 4 AA batteries.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNAVSY&P=G

FastVee
07-07-2011, 06:20 PM
I used the gt2 and gt3b.(started using futaba 3pm , that was also reliable -no issues ever.... -but the 109€/rx was too much so I started to test the hk gt radios.)
Both (gt3 and 2)were fine until I had carbon/glass hybrid hull with 2 outrunners... it started to loose signal when ever it wanted to... After that(wont risk of loosing control of 10kg´s boat going 35mph any more)I tried the Spectrum dx3c and love it! -use the mr 3000 that comes with stiletto and no issues what so ever. -even the included sr300?(I think that was it?) had ok range and way better then gt3 had.

The dx3c is also only radio that fits perfectly in my large hands -cause it comes with 3 different grips! -and the large grip is perfect.

Even better radio (for my use) is sanwa mx3x , it has no limit to it´s range(that I could see yet) and no issues at all in any car or boat -ever!(well, so far so good....)
I just cant afford the rx prices that sanwa asks...(99€)

Most esc´s /radios have failsafes so as long as it works for you, use the gt3b. But I wont use them any more because I have sanwas and spectrums to use and they work better here/on my use.

Maybe this was a bit too deep but these are my thoughts.

Pate

TheShaughnessy
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
I use the gtb3 (hk radio) no issues yet, been using for a while now.

sundog
07-08-2011, 12:13 AM
I used to use the Airtronics MX3 FHSS and it was rock solid - but like FASTVEE said, the receivers were too costly. I have since sold it all and gone to the GT3B. As far as I can tell there is no difference in range or features, etc. but a HUGE difference in price. $6.60 vs $89.95 for receivers - and they are much smaller too. You do have to set the failsafe manually on the GT3B (easy) - it was automatic on the Airtronics/Sanwa, I believe. And the LCD is difficult to see in bright sunlight, you have to shade it a bit to see.

Doby
07-08-2011, 07:58 AM
This thread reminds me of the old saying about Motorcycle helmets...if you have a five dollar head, buy a five dollar helmet.

carlcisneros
07-08-2011, 09:35 AM
the Fly Sky radios are a good radio.
The ones in our club have been doing great.
they are being used in my twin 45" FE mono (the one in my avitar), Daytona cat, speedmaster 20 mono.
one of the other guys uses his in an 90 Eagle SG Rigger and his Twin 80 powered Eagle SG Rigger.
they have performed flawlessly to date.

HTVboats
07-08-2011, 09:35 AM
I have seen this debate on IW and the "Dock". The most popular radio in the US that I have seen at boat races is the Futaba. The Tactic I beleive is an economy version. So your range from a top line Futaba at about $400 to a Tactic at $65 basically do the same thing, Go left-right and throttle up and down. My Flysky $40 2.4 does the same and its hard to compare when they all seem to function. When they loose range or break down regularily you have something to compare.
Like an automobile a basic Hyundai will get you from point A to point B just as well as a Mercedes. New can you say one is better than another just transporting you. Both steer and throttle and brake well in normal every day driving. Now is the luxury of a Lexus worth $20,000 than the Toyota that has the same basic frame and drivetrain, just a few more bells and whistles.
Your choice I certainly an entertaining the possibility that I have overspent money for features I never use. I have Futaba's and Nomadio's which may be the best technolgy ever but they make more on defense contracts with Boeng so they got out of RC. So far my Flysky is religated to models I can afford to loose but if over time it performs and proves reliable i will trust them in more expensive boats. Futaba is pretty much proven as an over water radio and other than isolated incedents that probably are operator error they will remain my go to Tx/Rx.

sundog
07-08-2011, 10:01 AM
This thread reminds me of the old saying about Motorcycle helmets...if you have a five dollar head, buy a five dollar helmet.

Yeah, it's a hard pill to swallow that you could be doing the same thing for a tenth of the price. They're all made in China now, you just cut out the middle men. The tried and true features of the top line models have been hacked and put into this radio as far as I can tell. As far as range, it'll go until you can't see the boat anymore! I'm not much into brand name recognition - if it performs the same for less, now that's a (cheap) thrill! I don't mean to grandstand, but to hear owners of the more expensive sets talk down these units (to justify their own expendature) is ignorant. Nothing personal, Doby!

Doby
07-08-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it's a hard pill to swallow that you could be doing the same thing for a tenth of the price. They're all made in China now, you just cut out the middle men. The tried and true features of the top line models have been hacked and put into this radio as far as I can tell. As far as range, it'll go until you can't see the boat anymore! I'm not much into brand name recognition - if it performs the same for less, now that's a (cheap) thrill! I don't mean to grandstand, but to hear owners of the more expensive sets talk down these units (to justify their own expendature) is ignorant. Nothing personal, Doby!

Agreed....I run the Tactic on all my boats....20 bucks for a receiver is pretty cheap...but its as cheap as I'll go...eventually quality will suffer the lower the prices are.

jamespl
07-08-2011, 10:30 AM
I agree. thats why i wanted peoples thoughts on these. I usualy say buy cheap buy twice but with the lowish price of the stiletto and the low price of the flysky its got me back in the water for now. I work for bosch (the heating boilers side of things) and our product is quality but what sets us apart from the rest is our warranty, its always a no quibble and thats why you pay top dollar! i woud imagine no one would even try to complain about a cheap radio just chuck it and get a new one.

Flying Scotsman
07-08-2011, 11:13 AM

Another epistle from the centre of the universe, but this time he makes sense.

Love and kisses,

Douggie

sailr
07-08-2011, 11:19 AM
i have many Tactics and havent had a prob yet and can get extra rx's off ebay for like 30.00,, some times cheaper than that..and you can use one tx and bind multiple rx's to it but they must also be tactic rx's..

Extra tactic receivers at Towerhobbies are only $25! Why are you paying $30?

sailr
07-08-2011, 11:21 AM
We tested those GT radios when they first came out. They were horrible. We decided not to sell them. Now I guess some people are having good luck with them. Go figure!

I used to use the Airtronics MX3 FHSS and it was rock solid - but like FASTVEE said, the receivers were too costly. I have since sold it all and gone to the GT3B. As far as I can tell there is no difference in range or features, etc. but a HUGE difference in price. $6.60 vs $89.95 for receivers - and they are much smaller too. You do have to set the failsafe manually on the GT3B (easy) - it was automatic on the Airtronics/Sanwa, I believe. And the LCD is difficult to see in bright sunlight, you have to shade it a bit to see.

detox
07-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Here is a 2.4 radio review posted by Inletwaters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poByXMlqX1s

johnmaclean
07-08-2011, 07:59 PM
:ohmy:Hmmm. . . Interesting review. It appears that sometimes you get more than you paid for.

penz
07-09-2011, 12:04 AM
I use the gt3b for all my riggs, well one and three rx's that is. Never had any issues with my land riggs, so far two runs on my apparition with no problems. I use to have a spektrum dx3s, rx's were stupid expensive, sold it off and with the profit got the gt3b, extra rx's, and couple lipo packs... I actually like the feel of the gt3b better, to me the dx3s felt cheap and fragile. Only thing I miss is using 4 aa batts vs 8...

Flying Scotsman
07-09-2011, 02:58 AM
I use the gt3b for all my riggs, well one and three rx's that is. Never had any issues with my land riggs, so far two runs on my apparition with no problems. I use to have a spektrum dx3s, rx's were stupid expensive, sold it off and with the profit got the gt3b, extra rx's, and couple lipo packs... I actually like the feel of the gt3b better, to me the dx3s felt cheap and fragile. Only thing I miss is using 4 aa batts vs 8...

OK, I will ask the question...did you run marine compatible Spektrum TX and RX equipment?

Douggie

sundog
07-09-2011, 10:08 AM
We tested those GT radios when they first came out. They were horrible. We decided not to sell them. Now I guess some people are having good luck with them. Go figure!

There are two radios in that series. The dirt cheap GT2 (the one in the Youtube review) and the flagship GT3B (the one we're talking about in this thread). The GT3B's firmware has been updated since it's debut, and it's likely the G2 has as well.

lectriglide
07-09-2011, 10:36 AM
Extra tactic receivers at Towerhobbies are only $25! Why are you paying $30?

Check hopmeup on Ebay. Great seller and they are 18.72 shipped.

Basstronics
07-09-2011, 10:42 AM
I use the HobbyKing GT-2 and like it. Simply and works. I just need to keep the antenna outside of the boat and have wonderful range.

egneg
07-09-2011, 11:32 AM
My spectrum has model memoery for the rx's so I can use the same radio for my rescue boat ... can't do that with the tactic.

T.S.Davis
07-09-2011, 01:20 PM
My spectrum has model memoery for the rx's so I can use the same radio for my rescue boat ... can't do that with the tactic.

I use one radio for all my boats.

Simon.O.
07-10-2011, 02:52 AM
For a low cost radio I use the 2.4 setups from HK. I have a pistol set for my FE hulls and a run stick for my slow boats and crawlers.
Considering I run up to 60mph on FE I am happy with these radios.
As far as range goes the scale/slow boats are near out of sight and still under command !

Turbo Dan-O
07-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I love my Tactic and the fact that it does not have an antenna. Love it!

Dan-O

penz
07-10-2011, 11:45 AM
For a low cost radio I use the 2.4 setups from HK. I have a pistol set for my FE hulls and a run stick for my slow boats and crawlers.
Considering I run up to 60mph on FE I am happy with these radios.
As far as range goes the scale/slow boats are near out of sight and still under command !

The hk radios are just re badged flysky radios, they have also been badged as exceed. They are great radios for the price..

penz
07-10-2011, 11:48 AM
OK, I will ask the question...did you run marine compatible Spektrum TX and RX equipment?

Douggie

No, I had the dx3s it came with my lst xxl. I sold it before I got into off shore rc. Spektrums are great radios, there are other more affordable options out there, and that's the route I went.

burgerchow1
07-12-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm using 2 tactic systems on my pt109 and my motley crew. Works great for the price. Just wondering though if anybody is using futaba fast system. I have a 4pk for my cars and extra 614 receivers. Would a surface system work in marine conditions?

FastVee
07-12-2011, 03:08 AM
I used 3pm for years and no problem. had the 603fs rx. -surface system. -submerged few boats with the rx in and it never got damaged. only needed drying and back in the boat.

norbique
07-12-2011, 03:46 AM
i can only join FastVee. Futaba surface systems work well on water too.
I also use an air Futaba 35Mhz FM system on water, no problems there eiter.

JIM MARCUM
07-12-2011, 07:24 PM
I have a Fly Sky GT3C & love it. The only problem is it's hard to read the screen in direct sunlight. You can buy a new GT3B with reciever on ebay - 150628445629 - $55 shipped from the USA, and extra recievers from China for $8.50 - 320725479362.

I bought a pile of extra recievers for all my boats & cars. JIM

penz
07-12-2011, 07:54 PM
I have a Fly Sky GT3C & love it. The only problem is it's hard to read the screen in direct sunlight. You can buy a new GT3B with reciever on ebay - 150628445629 - $55 shipped from the USA, and extra recievers from China for $8.50 - 320725479362.

I bought a pile of extra recievers for all my boats & cars. JIM

$55 Yikes!! you can get right now on hobbypartz for $35!!! Extra rx's are $7... They are located in cali and have quick shipping.

RandyatBBY
07-12-2011, 08:09 PM
The Fly Sky radio is OK for small ponds but I would not run one of my Expensive boats on big deep water it is Hitec, Airtronix or Futaba when it comes to the big water!

burgerchow1
07-12-2011, 09:40 PM
Sorry to jack this thread, but seems to be general concensus that Tactic and HK radios the best for low budget.

If I was building a $2000 boat and I wanted to run the best radio equipment, what do the pros suggest?

JIM MARCUM
07-13-2011, 06:08 PM
PENZ: Thanks for the tip. hobbypartz.com is way cheaper. JIM

jwt
07-17-2011, 09:46 PM
A guy at our club uses a HK GT2 radio,
and he just leaves the aerial iside the boat, and never has a problem.

TMS

domwilson
07-17-2011, 09:56 PM
My suggestion is to do your research. Ask questions. Read the reviews and buy the best that you can afford. Now days, you don't always get what you pay for. Expensive doesn't always equate to quality. Sometimes it just means you're paying for marketing.

gsbuickman
11-02-2011, 01:53 AM
Ok, I ran the Flysky FSGT3B in my UL-1 Sport Hydro. The first time out, she jumped onto plain and once she hit about 100 ft out, she went dead in the water. She lost all signal, and I spent the afternoon watching her float around my local water hole. I missed the Boise state / Colorado ball game too. I invested in a pro boat rescue duck, and plan on grabbing a spekky dx3.0 as well. I will be using the mr200 receivers from now on. The gt3b is nice, but its junk on the water, it'll stay with my off road vehicles.

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 08:50 AM
The gt3b is the best radio for the money bar far, and a much better choice than the Tactic.

sundog
11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Ok, I ran the Flysky FSGT3B in my UL-1 Sport Hydro. The first time out, she jumped onto plain and once she hit about 100 ft out, she went dead in the water. She lost all signal, and I spent the afternoon watching her float around my local water hole..

And is that the end of the story? Did you check your batteries after the return home? Sounds like maybe the LVD kicked in. Was this a maiden voyage (you said 'first time out')? Did you check the distance of signal on land? Was the antenna inside the hull? I'm only asking because you seem to automatically write it off as a bad radio signal and the GT3B has proven itself quite worthy. It could have been a lemon, but I'm thinking it could have been a number of other things as well. Didn't bring a means of recovery with you...?

Fluid
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Why is it that those who defend cheap radios will 'attack' those who have bad experiences with them? These 'problems' are usually considered the fault of the user, not the radio. Yet problems with high-end radios are highlighted because "those radios are over-priced and over-rated". :thumbdown:

There is a "cheap radio cult" just like there is a "cheap battery cult" and a "cheap motor cult". We all need reasons to rationalize our decisions, and basing them on price is a quantifiable justification - "you can't argue with low prices". Value is far more difficult to define, and it means different things to different people. :hug1:

properchopper
11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
The gt3b is the best radio for the money bar far, and a much better choice than the Tactic.

I'm with you, Bro. I guess I'm one of the dummies that uses a Gt3b in all my boats, many precious and high dollar ones in fact. Inside antenna as well. At the recent SAWs, where in order to get a good run up to top speed going through the lights, you had to navigate far enough downfield that your boat was just a speck [OMG there's an accidental pun there],( I actually had to get on it just a tad to see which direction it was pointed), it stayed linked up just fine (with an inside antenna and CF bottom lining,btw). Several racers with the more recognized, expensive radios on many occasions had to run down the shoreline to get re-linked. I was not one of them, which is good as I'm too old & out of shape for such excercise. I use a 2500 mah lipo for powering the Tx and I'm good to go. Only once, before I installed the lipo, did the AA's get too low, but the fail-safe just stopped the boat ( AND the radio beeps when this condition occurs). In truth, I do bring a backup Tactic & Fut 3PM to the races, but I sold off two 3PM Rx's & used the money to buy the Gt3B & a lifetime supply of Rx's. Further, the 3PM Rx's (at $89.99 each) go bonkers when a little H20 gets to them. The Gt3B Rx's with a little Corrosion-X on them don't seem to mind so much and I've yet to have to replace one, which at @ $7 isn't too big a deal, considering.

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
Here we go again.
Why is it every time a great product comes out of China that is inexpensive, all the "gurus" feel the need to slam it? 99.9% of the people who have bad things to say about this radio have never and probably never will own one.
The reasoning for sundog's questioning is more than likely because these radios have been getting great rviews. They are far from junk. If you don't like it because it's inexpensive, don't buy it. Why slam a product you have 0 experience with? If you feel the need to spend 10x more on a radio, go ahead. For me, this thing is perfect. Tons of function and performs flawlessly in my boats, gas and electric and rc cars.
There are lterally TONS of cool mods you can do to these radios too.

BTW, there is a new version coming out very soon!

sundog
11-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Why is it that those who defend cheap radios will 'attack' those who have bad experiences with them? These 'problems' are usually considered the fault of the user, not the radio.

Since you were talking about me (I saw the pre-edited version) let me say that wasn't meant to be an 'attack' - my apologies if it sounded like that. I am just trying to get to the root of the problem, and since this is not an inherent problem with these 'cheap radios' I was just suggesting possibilities. And yes, I like these radios. The features, and the price. I used to be an Airtronics user (made in China - with many middlemen driving the price sky high), and had no problems with them either - other than the $90 pricetag of the receivers. I'll bet whatever radio you use was made in China as well. You don't have to spend a lot, but you do need to pay attention to details and follow basic rules.

I also like the 'cheap' batteries and use Turnigy, Rhino and Zippy without the problems some others have claimed. But again, I pay attention and follow basic rules of charging, connection and storage. One shouldn't automatically assume it was a fault of the (inexpensive) part just because it was inexpensive. You wouldn't have posted this rebuttal if you had owned a GT3B for any length of time. You would have asked the questions I asked (and am still waiting for an answer to, BTW). Buying expensive gear won't cover bad habits or lapses of memory - warm, fuzzy feeling notwithstanding....

T.S.Davis
11-02-2011, 02:04 PM
What does "proven itself quite worthy" mean? Maybe that's where the great divide is for us brand name slappies. What proves it?

With the major brands I can get testimonials from guys that are borderline professionals and many moons worth of historical data. I'm not a Futaba guy but they've been around for ever. Been raced by the top level racers in every aspect of RC ever concieved. No that still doesn't "prove" anything but all I have to go on is the words and data I can garner from those I respect.

Tony's testimonial is the first I've heard that's of any use to me on these. He's running them in a race conditions. He's running his gear the way I do. That has "value" to ME. That may be of NO value to someone who sport runs. Blast down, blast back, no traffic, no unpredictable water. That means nothing to me.

That said. I'm not switching. My Spektrum gear has been perfect. I know of at least one racer that raced every boat in his fleet with them. He took high points at the nationals with his Spekki junk and is the current national chairman. PLus the waterproof RX's have saved my keister too many times to count.

Twaits Jr. has run Hitec since I've known him. High points guy maybe 10 times.

Buass runs Futaba I believe. I know PAGS runs Futaba.

Price point is absolutely an acceptable decision making tool. So is "value". Value means something different to each of us.

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Are you a dock member? If so go PM Jim Nissen and ask him what he thinks of it. He has had it apart and has done testing and he will assure you it's a quality radio as well.

LuckyDuc
11-02-2011, 02:15 PM
I buy low priced radios (Tactic and GT3B) for my boats because I tend to drop them in the water from time to time..:doh: If I dropped a Futaba 4PKS in the drink you would hear me screaming in California. I do buy more expensive Txs for my Helis, Jets, and airplanes though... no water near by for me to drop them into.

Flying Scotsman
11-02-2011, 02:31 PM
Well said Terry, all I can add is I run Spektrum marine equipment and believe me, I did a lot of research before buying this system

Douggie

What does "proven itself quite worthy" mean? Maybe that's where the great divide is for us brand name slappies. What proves it?

With the major brands I can get testimonials from guys that are borderline professionals and many moons worth of historical data. I'm not a Futaba guy but they've been around for ever. Been raced by the top level racers in every aspect of RC ever concieved. No that still doesn't "prove" anything but all I have to go on is the words and data I can garner from those I respect.

Tony's testimonial is the first I've heard that's of any use to me on these. He's running them in a race conditions. He's running his gear the way I do. That has "value" to ME. That may be of NO value to someone who sport runs. Blast down, blast back, no traffic, no unpredictable water. That means nothing to me.

That said. I'm not switching. My Spektrum gear has been perfect. I know of at least one racer that raced every boat in his fleet with them. He took high points at the nationals with his Spekki junk and is the current national chairman. PLus the waterproof RX's have saved my keister too many times to count.

Twaits Jr. has run Hitec since I've known him. High points guy maybe 10 times.

Buass runs Futaba I believe. I know PAGS runs Futaba.

Price point is absolutely an acceptable decision making tool. So is "value". Value means something different to each of us.

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 02:37 PM
Brand name is personal preference. Hardly any gas guys will touch a Spektrum radio.

properchopper
11-02-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't see any reason to debate which radio is best. If you're happy with what you're using, then let's all hold hands and sing Kumba-ya. Seriously though, I'm happy and I hope everyone else is too & remember diversity (there's a damn radio pun again) is what makes it all interesting. Besides, if there weren't any differences in opinions, there'd be no horse races.

I started out with cheap AM radios. $48 each and one for each boat. Seemed reasonable at the time. When that became too clumsy, some friendly racers felt it was time to "assist" me in winning a Hitec 2.4. Darn thing always glitched coming out of turn two at Legg. Same thing with another (gas) racer; he finally smashed it to the ground during a heat when it crapped out in the same spot. I sold the Hitec & haven't heard any negative feedback from the buyer, not a Legg Lake racer. When I got one of the first UL-1's with a Tactic, I outfitted the growing fleet with their Rx's. Worked fine, didn't like getting wet in spite of the Corrosion-X 'tho. Then a few years ago in AZ Winter warmups I realized that the Tactic with no model memory required me to trim on the mill lap. That sucked. Went to a Futaba 3PM Fasst. Nearly lost a nice P-Mono when the antenna parted inside the antenna tube, a condition which I couldn't see, and I ran into the (fortunately mud) bank. And $89.99 for a Rx, ouch, especially with a 6 raceboat fleet.
I'm still a little nervous about the GT3B, what with all the talk about using an inexpensive radio with lots of valuable rigs, but maybe I'm just lucky so far. When the other shoe drops, I'll tell all , if & when. :tiphat:

Flying Scotsman
11-02-2011, 03:10 PM
Do not worry Rummy, as the gassers minds have crashed due to the fumes.....seriously though, do your research and buy within your budget and the features you want.

Douggie

Brand name is personal preference. Hardly any gas guys will touch a Spektrum radio.

Darin Jordan
11-02-2011, 03:14 PM

They were soured on these back in the days when Spektrum thought that you could use a surface protocol over water. It's their loss, really... but I gave up trying to tell them, or show them, just how well these work...

I'm a "gasser", and I used Spektrum without ANY issues at all... But, to each their own...

T.S.Davis
11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
They're all personal preferences. Once you've tried them at least.

Over the years I've run Airtronics, Futaba, Hitec, JR and now Spektrum. They're all from china. Let's be honest. Your buying the brand name and any reputation that name carries. I haven't tried any of the less expensive offerings. Sounds like more and more guys are giving them a shot. I need a new radio right now but I already own a fleets worth of water proof rx's. My display is fogged up from racing in the rain. haha So I'll see what I can find out about the latest and greatest Spektrum. The thought of buying a bushel basket of RX's just makes me cringe.

After my FM systems crashed a few boats I decided to get out of FM. (ya think?) I gathered information the best I could. Asked some guys I trusted that did the same kind of toy boating I was doing. Then Newland let me play with one at the NATS and I've been hooked ever since. I even like the way it feels in my hand. That's TOTALLY personal preference.

I've heard the gas guys had issues with Spektrum. I wonder what's up with that. Maybe the resonance of a gas motor? I'm ignorant on that one. Although you would think an electric motor would create the most electronic noise.

Just last weekend I broke the rudder off my Geico. Took a 1" square hunk of glass with it. The boat was of course filled to the deck and sinking fast. I crushed the throttle and ran it up in the grass with all the electronics completely submerged. Try that with.....well.....any of them. Raced the next heat with the whole setup too. Didn't even blow it off with air.

NorCalZ71
11-02-2011, 03:35 PM
I love my gt3b I prefer it over my spec radio. I have programmed and played with most of the spec line being a crawler guy I had to have the most channels and options and none of the spectrum surface radios provided that. I have followed the rctech and rccrawler guys in modding my gt3b and now I have an 8ch pistol surface radio that works farther then I can see (tested this recently) over water. And the recievers are between 8$ and 20$. Granted I don't race on a competetive level but when we get a few boats on the water we have never had glitching or signal loss with 2 gt3b's and a spec marine (proboat) radio all running off the same small 8'x10' dock

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Fluid
11-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Since you were talking about me (I saw the pre-edited version)
First mistake - I was not "talking about you", there are others in this thread (see above) who have expressed the same mind set.

You wouldn't have posted this rebuttal if you had owned a GT3B for any length of time...What "rebuttal" are you referring to? I simply asked why some folks - it's both sides of the aisle on this issue really - resort to emotion first instead of thought. Of course I know the answer, but it is the question which must be asked since it is the root of the discord in this thread. Most people are defensive and insecure.

And why do you presume to know how I would react under any circumstance - you do not know me. I watched Tony use his FlySky radio for three days of racing last month, it worked great for him. Where did I "dis" that radio in this thread - or any thread for that matter? Couldn't find it could you - because you are putting words into my mouth which were never uttered. Nor where they considered - although as a self-appointed expert on how I think I suppose you must be right.... :olleyes:

norbique
11-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I've never had any issues with the gt3b either, i run all my boats with it.
I once surface tested it in a kinda unusual way. I didn't wanted to know how far it can go in line of sight, I'd rather left the RX at home with a servo attached. Asked father to call me from the house on my cellphone to let me know how it's working.
I walked out of the house (and I'm talking about brick, concrete, steel, and NOT wood house) then out on the street and kept on walking... about 300+ meters, a LOT of concrete, steel lamp posts, brick walls, electricity poles and cables, and other interference stuff I finally reached the point where the rx and servos stopped working. So with all these interferences I am more than convinced of the quality of the gt3b.
I was thinking of doing the same with the T6EX futaba to check how that would compare....

Flying Scotsman
11-02-2011, 05:45 PM
That test means nothing, you have to test it on the water but it is a start.

Douggie

sundog
11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
First mistake - I was not "talking about you", there are others in this thread (see above) who have expressed the same mind set.

What "rebuttal" are you referring to? I simply asked why some folks - it's both sides of the aisle on this issue really - resort to emotion first instead of thought

Fluid, you are so full of yourself! Gabuickman posted that his radio quit (after this thread had been silent since July), I tried to help out, and you (originally, before editing) wrote "Why is it that those who defend cheap radios will 'attack' those who have bad experiences with them? These 'problems' are usually considered the fault of the user, never the radio (see above)." And so happens my post was above yours, defending the radio. You didn't "simply ask why some folks"...etc.

I agree with what has been said before - buy what suits you. But don't talk bad about something just because it is inexpensive; especially something you don't have any experience with.
:nono: :blah:

desmobob
11-02-2011, 06:07 PM
I have a closet full of high-end name-brand radios from the airplane and heli side of the hobby. When I bought a cheap 1/8th scale nitro buggy to play with when the weather wasn't good for flying, I bought one of the HobbyKing GT2 sets to run it... at the time I think I paid right around twenty bucks for the 2.4ghz Tx and Rx. It worked so well, I was shocked!

Two years later, I used that same Tx and another one of HK's $6 receivers to run my first boat. It worked perfectly, so I "upgraded" by dropping the princely sum of $37 on a new HK GT3B set; I wanted expo and multiple model memories. The Tx had faulty firmware that made the expo useless. I bought some electronic parts on-line and had the radio's firmware re-flashed. Now, the radio offers more features and programming than any other radio I've ever heard about. Extra 3ch receivers are less than seven bucks (!), and when dunked in CorrosionX, seem to be oblivious to water.

After my experiences with these two HK 2.4ghz radios, I personally don't have any reason to spend more money on a big-name, big dollar set-up. If I had the disposable income, I'd have a top-of-the-line Futaba or Spektrum. But it would be more for the "warm fuzzy" of having it, rather than a need for better performance.

Take it easy,
desmobob

sailr
11-02-2011, 06:18 PM
It is amazing. Reviews we read/hear about the GT radios (FlySky) are either very bad or very good. Not much in between. We were excited when contacted by the manufacturer and were sent several radios. We test marketed the FlySky radios before they were available to the public and found them to be complete and total junk. Only 1 out of 3 worked and 2 out of 3 had very bad range. If you have one and it works for you, bless ya but our opinion is "Buy at your own risk".

I personally have bought 2.4 futaba 2.4 module/receiver clones from a place here in the U.S. called www.rcmodules.com . They are flawless! I have also bought cloned futaba receivers from HK and they work good.

We don't sell the Tactic and can't even get a discount on them but they are by far one of the most reliable out there. I have $1500 boats I used them in! I just wish they would come out with a transmitter with some model memories and features on it. I love the fact there is no antenna on the receiver!

norbique
11-02-2011, 06:24 PM
That test means nothing, you have to test it on the water but it is a start.

Douggie
I didn't say i haven't tested it on water. But I accept your opinion.
As I've said earlier, I use the gt3b on all my boats. Not a glitch ever. RX plastidipped, it even works underwater...

Darin Jordan
11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
If I had the disposable income, I'd have a top-of-the-line Futaba or Spektrum. But it would be more for the "warm fuzzy" of having it, rather than a need for better performance.

You know... this is really kind of misleading... Futaba and Spektrum both make more "entry-level" prices systems, that offer the same reliability and performance in a lower cost package.

Just because there is a name attached to it, doesn't mean it's expensive, overpriced, or whatever...

sailr
11-02-2011, 06:29 PM
Yep, and they're worth it. I just wish Futaba and Spektrum would figure out how to do a receiver without an antenna on it!

Griff
11-02-2011, 06:32 PM
I agree. thats why i wanted peoples thoughts on these. I usualy say buy cheap buy twice but with the lowish price of the stiletto and the low price of the flysky its got me back in the water for now. I work for bosch (the heating boilers side of things) and our product is quality but what sets us apart from the rest is our warranty, its always a no quibble and thats why you pay top dollar! i woud imagine no one would even try to complain about a cheap radio just chuck it and get a new one.

where abouts do you work James? I'm a Bosch Engineer too.
Tom

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 06:55 PM
No external antenna means worse range. I've actualyy read no "very bad" reviews on the GT3B. The only real negative stuff I hear over.... and over, and over again is "you get what you pay for."

sailr
11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
The "no antenna" tactics have excellent range. I believe the Gt radios have antennas AND bad range. My experience anyway.

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 07:11 PM
The gt3b? Never heard of range issues.
Is this just your experience with the pre release models you have.
The GT3B is so much more radio than a Tactic, and for less money. I'd suggest trying one.

sailr
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
I'm happy you like the GT3B but I know too many people that have had trouble with them. I wish they were better. I love the features and the price. No point in arguing this any longer. I respect your good luck with them and hopefully you will respect my experience as well.

Cheers!

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 07:22 PM
What were the failures? Seems odd. I don't read about these radios failing. Mine certainly doesn't.

desmobob
11-02-2011, 07:32 PM
If I had the disposable income, I'd have a top-of-the-line Futaba or Spektrum. But it would be more for the "warm fuzzy" of having it, rather than a need for better performance.

Take it easy,
desmobob

You know... this is really kind of misleading... Futaba and Spektrum both make more "entry-level" prices systems, that offer the same reliability and performance in a lower cost package.

Just because there is a name attached to it, doesn't mean it's expensive, overpriced, or whatever...

I don't think you took it the way I meant it... I wasn't very clear. What I meant was, I'd buy the very best surface/marine system Spektrum or Futaba made, so I'd have all the bells and whistles and the warm fuzzy would come from the brand quality reputation one gets with the big name manufacturers in all their products.

My R/C air radios are all Spektrum, Futaba and Hi-Tec. The only reason I ever tried an HK system was for budget reasons for a surface model that I knew wouldn't get used often, and 99% of the time would be used in my own back yard with virtually no risk to anyone. I would never had tried an HK radio for the first time in a flying model, and would likely not have even tried one in a boat if I hadn't experienced such satisfactory results with the one in my nitro buggy.

If the system in my buggy had been buggy, I'd very likely be in the same boat as a lot of you and would distrust them for good! (Bonus points for two puns in one sentence?)

I certainly respect everyone else's opinions and especially their experience.

Take it easy,
desmobob

Doby
11-02-2011, 07:36 PM
The "no antenna" tactics have excellent range. .

Couldn't agree more!

Rumdog
11-02-2011, 07:45 PM
The new GT4:
http://www.wowrcmodel.com/flysky-fs-gt4-2-4g-4ch-gun-rc-system-transmitter-controller.html

08gtrking
11-02-2011, 09:01 PM
The new GT4:
http://www.wowrcmodel.com/flysky-fs-gt4-2-4g-4ch-gun-rc-system-transmitter-controller.html
check this one out http://www.wowrcmodel.com/fs-gt3c-2-4g-3ch-gun-rc-system-transmitter-controller.html

T.S.Davis
11-02-2011, 09:12 PM
I had module failure in a high zoot Hitec radio and never went back to them. At the nats no less. SO pissed at the time. Ended up running Ray Fullers Airtronic radio. End points all screwy. ugh

I suppose it's true of any system. Once you get burned you never trust them again.

properchopper
11-02-2011, 09:17 PM
check this one out http://www.wowrcmodel.com/fs-gt3c-2-4g-3ch-gun-rc-system-transmitter-controller.html

A little hard to tell in the picture, but it seems it uses the same Rx.

T.S.Davis
11-02-2011, 09:33 PM
It's pretty.

carlcisneros
11-02-2011, 10:26 PM
and the GT3C uses only 1 lipo battery for power.

Finally a company that figured out that the present day electronics do NOT need 12 fracken
Volts DC to power the units.................

gsbuickman
11-02-2011, 11:10 PM
:tt2: I am not choosing sides here, But this is what recently happen to me. The other day I took my Aquacraft UL-1 hydro to my local boat hole before the Broncos / Colorado game to run. I am running a pro boat esc and motor on 4s. I hand launched her and she jumped up on plane and started flyin. After a few loops at half throttle, I pinned the throttle and cut her loose. She got about 100 ft from the bank and went dead in the water, total signal loss. :doh:

I spent the afternoon lakeside watching my boat float around on the currents. i also missed the ball game too :confused2:. a friend showed up after the game with a rescue boat. he paddled out and grabbed her for me. I held the throttle on the way back in & about 85' out, the motor took off again.

The GT3B is a great radio for the price, but its only good for my cars and trucks. because it sucks on the water. I get too much interference off the water and it disperses the signal. I recently bought a proboat rescue duck and a spekky dsm controller. I will be using the spekky marine rx's. I dont know what contributed to the cause, but I wont chance it again. :rockon2:

Stinger9D9
11-02-2011, 11:26 PM
:tt2: I am not choosing sides here, But this is what recently happen to me. The other day I took my Aquacraft UL-1 hydro to my local boat hole before the Broncos / Colorado game to run. I am running a pro boat esc and motor on 4s. I hand launched her and she jumped up on plane and started flyin. After a few loops at half throttle, I pinned the throttle and cut her loose. She got about 100 ft from the bank and went dead in the water, total signal loss. :doh:

I spent the afternoon lakeside watching my boat float around on the currents. i also missed the ball game too :confused2:. a friend showed up after the game with a rescue boat. he paddled out and grabbed her for me. I held the throttle on the way back in & about 85' out, the motor took off again.

The GT3B is a great radio for the price, but its only good for my cars and trucks. because it sucks on the water. I get too much interference off the water and it disperses the signal. I recently bought a proboat rescue duck and a spekky dsm controller. I will be using the spekky marine rx's. I dont know what contributed to the cause, but I wont chance it again. :rockon2:

The Broncos/Colorado game? Don't the Broncos play out of Denver Colorado? Where they playing themselves?

Leave it to me to notice that trivial detail...:olleyes:

On second thought, if you missed the Broncos getting blown out by the Lions, maybe you probably owe the radio a thank you.

sundog
11-03-2011, 12:07 AM

Yes, I read your earlier post today - it's what started this last 'debate'. You say you used this radio on the water - and the boat quit at 100 ft. And you're getting "too much interference off the water and it disburses the signal". How did you come to that conclusion? (it sounds like low battery level to me). Have you used the boat since with another radio? Other members use the GT3B (on the water) to distances as far as they can see without problems. Do you suppose you just got a bad one (since they're not all like that), or you might have another problem (not related to the radio)? Sure sounds like you're 'choosing sides' (no offense). And your buddy recovers the boat and you hold the throttle in as he brings it back? I think I'm beginning to understand.

:hornets_nest:

carlcisneros
11-03-2011, 12:18 AM
we use our GT3B radios here in Dist. 12 (IMPBA) for racing purposes.
One of the guys in my club here uses his in his twin CMB 80 powered Andy Brown Eagle 2 rigger and also his 45 AB rigger as well.
I use mine in just about all of my racing boats (both nitro and FE).
there are a few other guys that have them and are racing with them as well.

NO ONE has had a problem with them at all.

That says alot for those radios if you ask me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

gsbuickman
11-03-2011, 12:46 AM
Sorry about the overpost everyone. I knew I posted earlier today, but when I looked I couldn't find it. So I reposted it with a lil more detail. Yes my receiver batteries were fully charged. My buddies pro boat apache has a farther range than my gtb3 does, and hes using a junk tq2 radio temporarily.

I got the other info from a spektrum tekkie. He said that was why spekky didn't recommend using their products on boats, and why they developed the marine rx's. If I use my gt3b on one of my trucks, I can drive it outta sight and still have control of it. I don't know exactly why it has range issues on the water, but it sucks and I spent a couple hundred to remedy the solution. I would of rather purchased one of the mono kits from Chris here at OSE though.:tt2:

jj2003
11-03-2011, 01:35 AM
If you watch this video, this is way beyond 100ft, more like 50 to 75 yards and no issue's. New tx batteries rechargable nimh's at that. Had my gt3b since day one and use it on 3 boats. 2 FC Daytona's and 1 Traxxas Spartan. Radio $37.00. Additional rx's, $6.50. Budget cost's, priceless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVWjMWuq7K8

norbique
11-03-2011, 02:29 AM
:tt2: ... I held the throttle on the way back in & about 85' out, the motor took off again.... :rockon2:

Why would anyone hold the throttle while bringing in the boat, when the RX HAS Failsafe?! Just turn off the TX and the motor won't start no matter what....

sundog
11-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Why would anyone hold the throttle while bringing in the boat, when the RX HAS Failsafe?! Just turn off the TX and the motor won't start no matter what....
He was holding the throttle wide open to see if it would run when coming into range (never a good habit). He said his receiver batteries were charged - maybe his Tx batteries were low. I suspected that he either read or heard that statement about "too much interference off the water and it disburses the signal" because that was an early suspicion about 'water spray' interference that was debunked (2.4ghz is absorbed by water spray). Figures it was quoted from a Spektrum rep.

sailr
11-03-2011, 10:50 AM
Great post! Agree completely! It always amazes me that people will buy the cheapest thing out there then bitch when it doesn't work right.

Why is it that those who defend cheap radios will 'attack' those who have bad experiences with them? These 'problems' are usually considered the fault of the user, not the radio. Yet problems with high-end radios are highlighted because "those radios are over-priced and over-rated". :thumbdown:

There is a "cheap radio cult" just like there is a "cheap battery cult" and a "cheap motor cult". We all need reasons to rationalize our decisions, and basing them on price is a quantifiable justification - "you can't argue with low prices". Value is far more difficult to define, and it means different things to different people. :hug1:

gsbuickman
11-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Kool, I know their good radios. I originally bought mine at hobbypartz with 5 receivers, for my cars, trucks and buggies. I was stoked when the box said it was for boats too. Because I was working a deal for my ul-1 as well. I know its not suppose to interfere but, my local boat hole is in a triangle. I have a cell tower, police station and local airport all in close proximity. There's enough interference half the time if you have an am or fm system out there, and you turn them on, they go crazy and drive themselves.

Were talking about finding a new place to run, this one is converient, its only 1/4 mile from our houses.

siberianhusky
11-03-2011, 11:55 AM
While I don't own one of these radios one of the guys I run with has a number of the 2 channel version so the grandkids can run boats to, all of his have worked great right out of the box.
Judging by the number of posts I've read about these radios they either seem to work great out of the box or not, if not it's almost easier and cheaper to bin it than try to deal the the customer service from the bargain retailers. If it doesn't work no big deal, no more of a loss than a stripped servo and cheaper than a smoked esc.
There isn't any middle ground with these radios, some people will hate them for various reasons, some will love them for various reasons.
Would I run one in a twin turbine powered 72" cat? NO! Would I run one in most of my current boats? Sure. Just need a built in timer!

jamespl
11-03-2011, 12:03 PM
I started this thread and my general trail of thought is you do get what you pay for. For example i had a new kitchen fitted about 18months ago and working for bosch i bought mostly bosch but the fridge, microwave and dishwasher were reccomended by the company i got the kitchen from and they were cheaper than the bosch alternatives. out of those 3 appliances 2 of them have failed! but i have been running my gt3b for about 3 months or so now without any issues. i dont have loads of money to spend on high end stuff so i use the likes of turnigy batteries and the gt3b radio all with very good results. Im only a sport boater and only get to use my boat about once every 2 weeks. if i have bottomless pockets i would have the best of everything. basically the gt3b and all the other rc stuff i buy surves a pupose and that its to put a smile on my face plus it all works with no probs so that suits me.

gsbuickman
11-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Hi guys, I just heard something interesting. Thought I would throw it out here and see what you thought. I was at the local indoor track and heard a guy having a gtoup discussion. Apparently he thinks hes the local mt wizard. He was giving a radio lesson.

He was telling everybody that am and fm radios work on radio waves for the signal to be carried to the receiver. Ok that's true, everyone knows that. He started in on 2.4 systems. He claims 2.4 radios work on the line of sight principal, as long as you can see your vehicle you have fantastic reception. If you drive your vehicle behind a solid object, so its between you and the vehicle you'll lose the signal and possibly your vehicle. Circumstances depending of course.

I dont know how much truth to that theroy, but it seems a lil farfetched. Maybe he was talkin about the early 2.4 systems ???. Any ideas ?.

NorCalZ71
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
Sounds like he has 2.4gh and infared confused.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Flying Scotsman
11-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Welcome to Walmart loguistics

Douggie

Great post! Agree completely! It always amazes me that people will buy the cheapest thing out there then bitch when it doesn't work right.