PDA

View Full Version : Sealing tape removal from boat hull- decals coming off!?

Derrick Davis
07-06-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey all,

I've looked through the fourm and have not seen anything on this topic. I apologize if this has already been covered.

I'm having issues with the decals sticking to the sealing tape I'm using to seal the lid on top of my boat. The tape I'm using is designed for FE boating. The decals are now starting to come off my black jack when I remove the tape. Does anyone have a remedy for this situation? :unsure: I guess I could remove all decals and order new (I don't have the skill or patience for custom paint). Is there some product that anyone has used to "protect" the outside of their boat(s) that have decals? I want to figure this out before I take delivery of the Mystic boat that is due out this month.:biggrin:
Will certainly appreciate any and all input. :Peace_Sign:

Double D

steve-b
07-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Not sure if it will work... but,
You could try and clear coat the hull with a good quality brand.
I put a couple of layers on some of my hulls, and haven't had a problem. I use shin pad hockey tape...awesome stuff.

Steve.

Fluid
07-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Using automotive past wax can help prevent peeling paint. This sounds counter-intuitive, but it works great. The tape still sticks very well but comes off without lifting the paint. Haven't tried it with decals but it is a cheap thing to try.

kookie_guy
07-06-2011, 04:36 PM
As far as tape goes, I've ALWAYS used 3M scotch magic tape. I buy the refill rolls in bulk at costco. Cheap, and it works great. Sticks well, peels off easy, with no residue.
http://www.scotchbrand.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/ScotchBrand/Scotch/Products/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U52300LM30I87QR3ES18H7_nid=0LMQNNRFLJgsT F1RRQ4PQRglWK5G5F7R53bl

Or you can take the stickers off, it actually looks pretty good without them.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/kookie_guy/Boat/PICT1909.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/kookie_guy/Boat/PICT1910.jpg

siberianhusky
07-06-2011, 06:02 PM
I spray all my boats with 2 part automotive urethane clear coat, tough as anything and seals the decals in. They come out looking good enough even without wet sanding and buffing.

Derrick Davis
07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks for the advise guys. @siberianhusky - I like the idea....but I don't have those skills. :smile: Kookie_Guy, after seeing your bj26 pictures I may just remove the remaining decals and leave it with just the blue paint as you have done. It does looks good! :thumbup1:
Thanks again for your replies!

siberianhusky
07-07-2011, 10:20 AM
At NAPA you can get the 2 part stuff in a weird 2 chambered spray bomb, once they are mixed in the can whatever you don't use will harden in the can.
Just like using regular spray cans then.

Derrick Davis
07-07-2011, 10:47 AM
@siberianhusky,
Thanks, the 2 part spray can deal sounds like something I could handle ....without making to big of a mess.:unsure: I'm going to look into it.

BakedMopar
07-07-2011, 01:01 PM
On my smaller decals I would brush some clear nail polish on the edges. Not as clean looking as a complete clear coat though. Whatever you choose make sure that you degrease it very well as it will fish eye, especially the decals.