PDA

View Full Version : Making a hybrid TACON Castle 2150kv motor

ray schrauwen
07-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I am just starting to play with a couple things I got in the mail.

Bought a 2150kv Tacon on sale for like $40 or something and lucked out at rcboys with a Castle 1515 1Y 2200kv motor rebuild kit for $20.

So I used the spacers that came with the Tacon and changed the rotors. I will need to get out and try it in my whiplash to see if it runs or burns.

Much nicer rotor construction as you can see in the pic.

This will take some time before I get to a pond to test, should be fun.

The rotor kit has nice spare bearings when i might need them but, the front end plate does not fit. No biggee...

P.S. If you remove a rotor from Tacon or Leopard, do it from the rear or you may ruin windings at the front.

ray schrauwen
07-06-2011, 01:39 PM
On the point of burning motors from Leopard or Tacon, if you open the rear end bell, you will see a fair bit of ALUMINUM shavings!!! :scared: :flashfire:

If a motor got pushed really hard I can see this being a failing point.

It's obvious that Leopard etc, (not Castle that i know) drill the endbell for set scews after it is glued in place. This saves jigging time etc. and allows for maual drilling of holes & tapping.

So all Leopard type motors will have shavings in the end jammed in between windings & possibly rotors.

You wonder why I take stuff apart all the time....:wink::tongue::unsure:

norbique
07-07-2011, 02:09 AM
which is the leopard rotor an which is the castle one?

m4a1usr
07-07-2011, 02:20 AM
The one laying on top of the Tacon is the Castle. Much better looking finish then the Leopard with the black carbon fiber wrap.

Ray did you mic them? Which one is smalller overall? I been meaning to pull apart my Tacons and Leopards and gauge them but honey-do's seem to side track me here lately. Boats seem like a rest anymore!

John

TheShaughnessy
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
watching this one, curious to see what you find with this combo.

ray schrauwen
07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Haven't mic'd them but the Castle is smooth where the Tacon is very irregular on the surface. I think the Castle is a better construction 4-sure.

Maybe this weekend I'll get out with it....

dana
07-08-2011, 07:42 PM
ray, i had a tacon motor that lasted 2 days until the magnet on the rotor broke in half. good idea changing that out. they do seem cheap

Fluid
07-08-2011, 09:44 PM
I think the Castle is a better construction 4-sure.Ya think? :doh: Now don't tell me that you get what you pay for! Reading some comments in threads here, you'd think that the Tacon, Leopard and Castle motors were identical except for the rip off pricing on the Castle..... :sneaky2:

j/k

ray schrauwen
07-08-2011, 09:50 PM
I have to have it in my hands to know it seems, lol...

Fluid
07-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Bless you Ray, through your good work maybe some others will learn without having to test to destruction. :hug1:

properchopper
07-08-2011, 11:32 PM
Ray, could you send me a link to the 1515 1Y rebuild kit plz ?

Thanks,

Tony

norbique
07-09-2011, 01:05 AM
is the tacon the same as the leopard, just branded differently?