PDA

View Full Version : new motley crew run times?

burgerchow1
07-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi New guy on this forum.

Just bought a NIB Motley Crew yesterday from my LHS. Going to keep it stock for now. Just wondering what kind of run times people are getting on 2X 2s 5000 mah 25c lipos. Also, which prop gives it good sport performance and longer runtimes? I see everybody is replacing the cable. I'll wait til its broken and then get one.

jjenkins
07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Just got mine last week, running on 2-5000 35c 2s I get about 8-10 minutes.

For props everyone has said , the m445(have one one way) and the grimracer 42-55 . Don't think either will give longer run times though but more speed.

As far as shaft, I have 15 runs on mine so far on the stock shaft with stock prop.

Just keep a check on the motor mount (to hull) screws because they will loosen up.

Doby
07-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Figure 4 minutes to be safe for your lipos.

burgerchow1
07-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Figure 4 minutes to be safe for your lipos.

Only 4mins?

Doby
07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Yup..lots of play time on the water and still have some capacity left over to keep the Lipos happy....Running Lipos to LVC for maximum runtime is not advised.

burgerchow1
07-06-2011, 11:54 PM
I can usually run my 4 cells in my 1/8 biggie for a half hour. Go figure

v-spec
07-07-2011, 01:50 AM
I'd go 4 minutes tops as well. I run mine no longer than 3 to keep everything happy. Once you go to a bigger more aggressive prop runtimes might need to be adjusted as well. Boats push electronics much harder than rc cars or trucks.

Fluid
07-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I can usually run my 4 cells in my 1/8 biggie for a half hour. Go figureNo "figuring" about it. This is a common misconception among car guys. Boats are not cars. Just like their full-scale counterparts, boats require constant power to maintain speed due to the friction of water. The only friction cars have is from wheel bearings, so much less power is required. If you owned a full-scale boat you'd realize this - boats get lousy mpg. :sad:
But fortunately boats are much cooler! :thumbup1:

burgerchow1
07-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. Yeah I knew that I would get less run time than my cars in a boat, but 4 mins on 4s 5000s? I was hoping to get around 10 mins runtime. I guess if running at WOT all the tme that would be the case.
Since I'm completely new to rc boats ( just picked up a pro boat pt109 2 weeks ago, lots of fun and can run over 10 mins on a pair of 2s 5000s, that's why I just picked up the m/c the other day) can someone fill me in on some of the terminology?
What does FE mean? What is P class? I hear about m44 prop being one of the best performers. Who makes it? What are stingers?
Sorry for all the newbie questions but I've been reading posts for days and haven't found these answers yet.

ron1950
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
m445 is made by octura......stringers are usually wood rails running the lenth of the boat for stiffness and to put motor mount on......fe means fast electric........p class is boats 34 inches or less......

burgerchow1
07-07-2011, 04:57 PM
thanks Ron.

Fluid
07-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Sorry for all the newbie questions but I've been reading posts for days and haven't found these answers yet.

Never feel bad about asking questions, no one is born knowing all about FE (although there have been a few posters who seem to think they were). P-class is a power designation for a racing class. P-class race boats can run any motor and 3S or 4S power - obviously most run 4S. There are four basic P classes - hydro, mono, offshore and sport hydro, all of which run P power. P-Limited is a different class than P, the P-Limited classes have to run certain RTR motors with 3S or 4S. The Motley Crew is a P-Limited offshore boat. The 'best' prop will depend on the power class and the hull type. For many P-Limited boats, the x445 is a very good prop.