PDA

View Full Version : What strut depth would be best to get the nose up?

Stinger9D9
07-01-2011, 10:17 PM
Hey all, my MC with the stock strut depth the boat was running pretty wet.

After seeing 32 people viewed this thread with no replies, I guess it must just be easier to drop in a T180 ESC in and try to muscle speed out of the boat with 5s or 6s instead of bothering to experimenting with the basics, so I took matters into my own hands.

Well, I adjusted the strut depth and what a difference!

Attached is a photo from today's trip to the pond. The water was flat but the nose came right up and the boat flew across the pond.

The boat was running the stock motor, the stock prop and on "only" 4s. If there was any chop it would have gained even more.

jeepme
07-05-2011, 11:14 AM
So what did you change the srtut depth to?

Doby
07-05-2011, 04:30 PM
So spending money is preferable to tinkering with strut setups......:blink:

Stinger9D9
07-05-2011, 09:47 PM
So spending money is preferable to tinkering with strut setups......:blink:

It sure seems things are going that way. I shouldn't be though. There is something to be said for tweaking, testing and getting the most you can from a setup before adding more power.

C'mon guys, try stuff like this, move your strut up or down, I moved mine up a bit. See what works for you, it really is the best way to learn.

Grimracer
07-06-2011, 10:10 AM
I run mine with the bottom of the strut touching the table with the sponson on the table.

Make sure you pull up the water PU (and put it back down) when adjusting this way.

I also have my strut set FLAT on the table..

Then.. my favorite props

Stock
42X55
L45X66

Batterys in the center of the velcro.

Hope this helps..

Grim

Stinger9D9
07-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Thanks Grim,

Yes, this helps immensely. I was just guessing...figured moving the strut up would unload the prop, settle down the rear end and bring the nose up. I just don't understand this trend lately of replacing perfectly good electrics in a hull to get more speed.

After Brian Buaas hit 65 with a UL-1 on stock electrics, you'd think people would get the clue that there is a LOT of speed left to find in these boats without swapping out motors, ESC and increasing the cell count.

Your strut depth is even higher than I ran my strut - by a fair amount. I'll be sure to give it a try.

I gotta snap up a 42x55 soon before all the shops are out!

jeepme
07-06-2011, 06:01 PM
I run mine with the bottom of the strut touching the table with the sponson on the table.

Make sure you pull up the water PU (and put it back down) when adjusting this way.

I also have my strut set FLAT on the table..

Then.. my favorite props

Stock
42X55
L45X66

Batterys in the center of the velcro.

Hope this helps..

Grim

Great info. Thanks Grim

jjenkins
07-06-2011, 08:15 PM
Grim, you are the man. Just set mine like you said and went down to the pond.

Stock prop ( half chewed up)
2- 5000mah 35c hard case hobbypeople lipos

Bushnell radar gun 40 MPH !
4 mph faster than it has been plus the prop doesn't look the greatest either.

Can't wait for the m445 to get here!

FE_Chris
07-07-2011, 07:52 AM
Nice... I adjusted mine like this last night. Also ordered a M445 and a prop balancer. Still waiting on lipos.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Stinger9D9
07-07-2011, 09:47 PM
I just got back from the pond with the strut at that height running an M445. I must not have the strut perfectly flat because the boat was running pretty wet (fast though). It's probably got something to do with those tired lipos I'm using too (new ones are on the way). I did have it airing out like in that pic on those lipo packs though, so I probably just have the strut angled a bit instead of dead flat.

More tweaking is still to be done on mine. I really need more than 20 minutes at the pond once or twice a week to get this running right!

jjenkins
07-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Tried the 1445 yesterday, you are right, will not work at all.

Today my m445 got here , left stock flex
shaft , got 44mph on first pass and then guess what------
Stock flex shaft broke, must be my lucky day , slowly got it back to shore and still had my new prop.
New OSE upgraded shaft going in tonite and some more
Runs tomorrow.