PDA

View Full Version : zigzag or reef racer

stahlm004443
02-21-2008, 12:54 PM
which shall i get, the hobbyzone zigzag racer 3 or the aquacraft reef racer 2? i just cant decide!!!

thanks

Rex R
02-21-2008, 01:05 PM
well since(imo) they are functionally the same take a look at the accessaries that come with each boat. iirc each comes w/ a charger, but one charger is a/c only the other is d/c only(the a/c unit might require a transformer if your mains are 240v 50 hz). if the charger is not an issue(ie you have one already) I think the zig zag might come w/ pool toy attachments ;).

stahlm004443
02-21-2008, 01:19 PM
bere in mind that i will be upgrading is to brushless later in its life! i dont know if that makes a difference.

rcmaster1029
02-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Well, my sister got a Zig Zag Racer 3 recently. It seems quite cheaply made, but it does run pretty well. It comes with an FM radio and the pool attachments to play games and stuff. The electronics are sealed in, and the battery is secured with a rubber band. The Reef Racer looks better made as far as I can tell, but I'm not totally sure. It also has a water cooled motor. The Reef Racer would probably be better if you wanted to upgrade.

stahlm004443
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
so your saying that it is upgradable?

SJFE
02-21-2008, 05:33 PM
These boats are both fun and worth the price by far. In my opinion if you plan to upgrade spend another 20 dollars for Proboats Mini series boats. They are proven to be upgradable.

Ctonez
02-21-2008, 05:40 PM
I have 2 ReefRacer 2's in various states of modification.

Both have 480bb race motors...I love those little brushed buggers!
I have the same motors in my 2 Mini-V's.

My main complaint about the RR2 is the motor/electronics layout...just not conducive to upgrades IME.
I have found it very difficult to get the balance right, and the boat either porpoises, spins out, or submarines in small chop if I'm at speed...I've used lipos, but the boat really wants the stock-sized nimh pack in the stock location, otherwise it is too nose heavy.
I still have fun with them, just not quite what I had hoped for...and the Mini-V's are more fun to run IMO.

rcmaster1029
02-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Just go for the Mini-V. There are many more opportunities with it and it looks more realistic.

stahlm004443
02-22-2008, 03:18 AM
the thing is that as its going to be my first boat, i wanted something small,cheap and upgradable. i liked the idea of self-righting hull an the agility of the two little boats. also i have a hobbyzone plane but the charger broke, the zigzag comes with the same charger. i would like a mini v but i cant stop thinking about it flipping in the middle of the lake and i dont have another boat to go get it with. also i will be upgrading it to brushless and i know that the mini v would be by far the best for that. I CANT DECIDE lol

rcmaster1029
02-22-2008, 04:23 PM
The ability to self right is very cool with the RR and the ZZ, but then again it takes quite a bit to flip a boat unless you are going super fast and you turn, etc...but yeah...

Jordan
02-23-2008, 12:30 AM
The ability to self right is very cool with the RR and the ZZ, but then again it takes quite a bit to flip a boat unless you are going super fast and you turn, etc...but yeah...

Really? haha I flip mine all the time! it's a Nitro BJ26 with a rudder set up

rcmaster1029
02-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Well, then I guess you are a crazy dude. lol I just don't see it being much of a problem with the Proboat unless you are in waves.

fastbaltek
02-23-2008, 05:09 AM
zig zag can be upgraded with a graupner motor, and you could go 8 cells. theres a video of a modified zig zag on the ose site.

i was planning to do that on my own but it ended up being a quick recovery boat.(it has a scoop that comes with it)