PDA

View Full Version : Proboat Formula Hydro FE Aerodynamics

POWERS
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I've had this hull sitting around for awhile, did a little work here in there in the process of converting to FE. I was sitting in my shop looking at it last night and was wondering what if any advantage there would be aerodynamically speaking to chopping off the huge scoop and making a more streamlined hatch like the photoshop job I did below. Anyone pros or cons to this? Also the big spoiler on the back..is it necessary?

Darin Jordan
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
I've been thinking of doing this to my Miss Elam as well. I have a spare hatch cover that I was thinking of carving up. Might be easier if I build a plug and made a mold for it, ultimately.

I removed the horizontal wing as well. It weighs quite a bit and certainly isn't helping much.

I have some video that I'll be posting shortly of my Pro Boat Miss Elam in action this past weekend. Not quite as fast as the REALLY fast P-Limited Sport boats (of course, I'm down on motor to their UL-1 motors as well), but it's pretty competitive and finishes a lot of heats!

sailr
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
I like that clean look without the scoop. I certainly agree with Darin about removing the horizontal stabilizer too. I'd take it even further and get rid of the fins!

POWERS
06-28-2011, 12:25 PM
I've been thinking of doing this to my Miss Elam as well. I have a spare hatch cover that I was thinking of carving up. Might be easier if I build a plug and made a mold for it, ultimately.

I removed the horizontal wing as well. It weighs quite a bit and certainly isn't helping much.

I have some video that I'll be posting shortly of my Pro Boat Miss Elam in action this past weekend. Not quite as fast as the REALLY fast P-Limited Sport boats (of course, I'm down on motor to their UL-1 motors as well), but it's pretty competitive and finishes a lot of heats!

Plugs? Molds? Yeah that's probably out of my league. I haven't really thought it through as to exactly how i'm going do it, but hell once I cut the top up it'll make me have to figure it out haha.

POWERS
06-28-2011, 12:27 PM
I like that clean look without the scoop. I certainly agree with Darin about removing the horizontal stabilizer too. I'd take it even further and get rid of the fins!

Yeah I was tossing around that idea to, going all out and chopping off the fins all together. after photshopping that up to I like it!

Darin Jordan
06-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah I was tossing around that idea to, going all out and chopping off the fins all together. after photshopping that up to I like it!

Now, if it were just that easy to photoshop the correct geometry onto the bottom, make it a bit wider, and increase it's length to 29-31" or so, it'd be nearly perfect! :blink:

:biggrin:

Darin Jordan
06-28-2011, 12:35 PM
I'd take it even further and get rid of the fins!

I don't completely disagree, but I like the fins on there because they really help the boat be more visible in the pack, especially when flying through turns 1-2 when you often end up stuck behind someone's rooster-tail.

I have some video of mine from this past weekend that I'll try to get uploaded tonight that hightlights this perfectly. Jim Clark may have captured some shots in his pics from this weekend as well.

v-spec
06-28-2011, 08:40 PM
I did this maybe a year or so ago with my then new miss elam. It looked great but didn't really run too much different. I had pics and video of it running but my digi cam came up missing and I never got to post it. biggest difference was from removing the wing.

POWERS
06-29-2011, 08:09 AM
I did this maybe a year or so ago with my then new miss elam. It looked great but didn't really run too much different. I had pics and video of it running but my digi cam came up missing and I never got to post it. biggest difference was from removing the wing.

Nice, have any more pics..say from the top so you can see the canopy?