PDA

View Full Version : Valdosta SAW

Chris Harris
06-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Ok guys, it's back!!!

The SAW Time Trial in Valdosta Ga, will be held Sept. 9-11-2011.

Keep in mind the new "Stock and "Super Stock" classes are now in the books and all the records are open. Stock can use any 27 turn 24 degree stock can motor or the 17.5 brushless stock motors and N power parameter(2s). Super Stock can use any 19 turn 24 degree can motor or the 13.5 turn brushless stock motors and N power parameter (2s).
There is no paralleling allowed in these classes. These classes are meant as a replacement for the old
N-1 and O-1. So break out those old hulls and power them up with he latest Stock motor technology and Li-po and lettem RIP!!!

Please see the Master Race Schedule page in the latest "Roostertail" at: www.impba.net for more details about the race.

Hope to see you there,

Chris

Chris Harris
08-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Important info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok guys,
Our event is fast approaching so I want make sure there are no surprises for anyone who is coming.

This is an IMPBA sanctioned event so to participate you will need to be an IMPBA member. The fee after September 1st is $30.00 for the remainder of the year. I will have applications with me so you can sign up there if that is easier. Some have asked about single event coverage. That can be done if you already have a memebership with another Org. i.e. (NAMBA) However,
under the single event coverage you are not eligable for records so it's just better to pay the extra $20.00.

I'm trying to negotiate a group rate with the Quality Inn South I will know more next week and I will post the info here.

Chris

Chris Harris
08-23-2011, 01:38 PM
Ok, I was able to work out a deal for a special rate at the Quality Inn South
The rooms will be 49.95 per night available for the nights of Sept.8,9 and 10.
Their phone # is 229-244-4520 and tell them you are with the "Valdosta Model Boaters" for the boat race. If there is any problem ask for Simon the mgr.

For those of you who haven't stayed here it is a nice clean place and very close to many retaurants. They also have a continental breakfast.

See ya there,
Chris

bbill1
08-27-2011, 09:41 AM
Going out to do some testing today. Can't wait. See you guys in a few weeks!

Doug Smock
08-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Looking forward to it Bill.
Spending this weekend checking hardware on the monos and working some props.
Timing equipment will be here next week!
Won't be long now!:thumbup1:
Doug

bbill1
08-27-2011, 08:14 PM
WoHoo!

All I can say is...

It was a good day!

/B

Doug Smock
08-27-2011, 08:39 PM
WoHoo!

All I can say is...

It was a good day!

/B
Cool, now put it away lol

bbill1
08-27-2011, 09:00 PM
Yes Sir!

Doug Smock
09-01-2011, 09:49 PM
Just a week away fellas!!!!

Many thanks to our sponsors, without these guys this event wouldn’t be possible.:bowdown:

Jim Williams / South River RC Boats
http://www.southriverrcboats.com/

Joe Petro / Zippkits
http://zippkits.com/

Chris Hoffman / Dasboata
http://dasboata.com/

Steven Vaccaro/ Offshore Electrics
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/

Please support these folks that continue to support us!!!!:thumbup1:

See ya at Blue Lake!! :buttrock:

Doug

BILL OXIDEAN
09-03-2011, 02:18 AM
I LOOOOVE SAWS AnD I LOOOOVE Valdosta Blue lake.
My southern buddies are FAST me learn down there : )!!!!

BILL OXIDEAN
09-03-2011, 02:19 AM
Cumon Doug, I'm nervous enough.. : )

BILL OXIDEAN
09-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Ok, I was able to work out a deal for a special rate at the Quality Inn South
The rooms will be 49.95 per night available for the nights of Sept.8,9 and 10.
Their phone # is 229-244-4520 and tell them you are with the "Valdosta Model Boaters" for the boat race. If there is any problem ask for Simon the mgr.

For those of you who haven't stayed here it is a nice clean place and very close to many retaurants. They also have a continental breakfast.

See ya there,
Chris

Thanx Chris I needed this. Its EASY to find yourself at the roach motel down there lol! I had to hide all my food in the car and not to mention a TORNADO went over the place..

Doug Smock
09-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Counting down!
Weather is looking great!!:banana:
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USGA0589
Duh G:wink:

bbill1
09-05-2011, 07:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpjFjsEdl4

detox
09-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Duh G (Doug), Roughly how many unloaded RPM's does the average SAW boat turn? I have never seen a "how to build" tread on a SAW boat.

Doug Smock
09-05-2011, 08:44 PM
Never seen any average SAW boats Keith.:wink:
I'm guessing that the average rpm is in the mid to upper 40s.
I've played in the upper 30s to nearly 60 myself.:scared:
DUH G

Chris Harris
09-06-2011, 04:52 AM
Hey Guys,
I want to thank a couple more sponsors that have stepped up.

Reed Eagle

Wave Blasters Model Boat Club

Thanks guys, Your the best!
Chris

bbill1
09-08-2011, 04:13 PM
All packed up and ready to go!

Leaving early, early in the morning. Should be there around 8-9 AM. See y'all soon!

Chris Harris
09-09-2011, 05:30 AM
Hey Guys,
Well... It's just after 5 am here in Valdosta and I'm up and READY TO ROCK!

The weather was a bit windy yesterday during setup but did the typical "Blue Lake thing" and was absolute glass toward sunset and temperatures are great! I think we will have some periods of really good water and it looks like our turn out will be a little light so everyone should get a chance at the good water. Should be an awesome weekend and it's good to be back here, it's been too long:thumbup1:
Will update soon,
Chris

Chris Harris
09-11-2011, 10:42 PM
Hey guys,
Just got home and of course I'm beat.

We had 13 records this time around that's including 8 new ones for the N-Stock and N-Super Stock classes. All in all a great event but it did have some of the worst carnage I have seen in a good while, oh well I guess, it happens. Doug Smock will post all the #'s soon I'm sure he needs a couple of days to recover like I do:eek:

Chris

Darin Jordan
09-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Ummm... guys... OK, time to wake up and give us some results!! Let's get to typing!! ;)

Doug Smock
09-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Man what a great weekend to be out at Blue Lake.:smile:
The lake offered up conditions for every racer but didn't give up any records easily.

Bill Britton, P O/B Tunnel 67.004 mph

Jason Sims, N O/B Tunnel 53.053 mph

Ken Haines, Q Sport Hydro 81.022 mph

New N Stock and Super Stock classes.
Bill Oxidean
N Super Stock Mono 35.030 mph
N Stock Mono 36.413 mph
N Super Stock Hydro 49.712 mph
N Stock Hydro 50.573 mph
N Super Stock Sport Hydro 45.948 mph
N Stock Sport Hydro 48.859 mph
N Super Stock Tunnel 34.986 mph
N Stock Tunnel 33.982 mph

Jerry Crowther, Thunder Boat 68.058 mph
Jerry Crowther, E Mono 89.038

Well done fellas!!!!:rockon:

Special thanks to Norman and Wendy Morton for running the clock and keeping the order. You guys are the best!!!:yeah:

Doug

Darin Jordan
09-12-2011, 01:42 PM
New N Stock and Super Stock classes.
Bill Oxidean
N Super Stock Mono 35.030 mph
N Stock Mono 36.413 mph
N Super Stock Hydro 49.712 mph
N Stock Hydro 50.573 mph
N Super Stock Sport Hydro 45.948 mph
N Stock Sport Hydro 48.859 mph
N Super Stock Tunnel 34.986 mph
N Stock Tunnel 33.982 mph

Thanks Doug... Wilmer is flying!

Just to double-check... are you sure you don't have the "stock" and "super stock" mixed up here? Are the "stock" really faster??

Doug Smock
09-12-2011, 06:05 PM
No question. As always the paperwork was double checked, before I double checked it.:wink:

Ask Wilmer how seriously I (we) take the paperwork. LOL
Doug

sailr
09-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a good event! Wish I could be there but physical difficulties have hindered me for the past several years from traveling too far.

RandyatBBY
09-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Just to double-check... are you sure you don't have the "stock" and "super stock" mixed up here? Are the "stock" really faster??

It is correct Wilmer l said the super stock was a little soft.

But I gotta love it all done with BBY little boats by Wilmer!

Congrats to all!

That thunder boat is flying that Jerry Crowther ran they are big!

BILL OXIDEAN
09-13-2011, 03:14 AM

They aren't mixed up, but you're right the scores are kinda all over the place. I couldn't get the SS stuff working right until mid weekend, so a couple of ss scores are lower than the stock scores lol
13.5 stuff is new to me I had to get the timing, cg, and the right prop. By the end of the weekend, my 13.5 stuff was ferocious..

BILL OXIDEAN
09-13-2011, 04:08 AM
My Report:

This was by FAR one of the best events I've ever attended if not THE best..
Chris and Doug REALLY know how to put on a great event. First off I'd like to thank those guys and everyone who attended.

Next I'd like to point out something amongst many that stood out to me.
Doug runs the event the old fashioned way first come first serve. Down in LA they've resorted to a list and it REALLY hinders a person's ability to optimize his score.
Sorry guys, I had to point that out.

The way Doug and Chris ran it Everyone (except them) was able to run to their heart's content as many times as they wanted as frequently, just NO limits it was rad!
ZERO tension Zero animousity, guys were helping each other left and right, Reed Eagle even gave me advice on a class I was going for that he owned the record in! THAT'S what I call a good sportsman that Ol' Reed.. Jerry Crowther was there and quite welcomed with his non invasive fineseful passes. That man had a shovel nose do 2 COMPLETE backflips and keep going to trip the lights!

The entire event stood up and gave him a standing ovation it was epic!
Ken Haines was doing 100+mph passes ALL day long like it was another day at the pond.
Doug was making Textbook passes with his Seaducer fleet when he finally got a break.
Chris did something I've only seen once in my life from a model boat, that thing FLIES. Only thing I've seen so sweet is Joerg's boat pics don't do it justice.
Everyone was ripping! Jason Simms worked hard and got what he needed out of his first SAWS, that man is just on fire.

On a final note. This was a group of serious "no excuses" boaters, so I'm gonna make an excuse for everyone.
The water gave us plenty opportunity, but the water was "sticky". Everyone's scores were down including mine, so anything that didn't go down the way it was supposed to can be directly attributed to that. That's NOT saying Blue lake isn't by far THE fastest water I've ever run in. Only water that compares is Douggie Twaits pond in New Jersey.

Darin Jordan
09-13-2011, 10:13 AM
Bill... I'm not sure that people really are getting what you've done here... 50.5mph in an N1 Hydro! That's FREAKING FLYING!! VERY little power to work with, and everything has to be just right... Nicely done!

Ken Haines
09-13-2011, 12:53 PM
6007360070600716007260074Chris, Doug and Norman,
Thanks for hosting such a nice event. Everything was done well.

Congrats also to the new record holders:
Bill Britton, Jason Sims, & Jerry Crowther, and especially Wilmer.
In case I was too busy at Blue Lake to give you the proper
due........Well done Wilmer !

Doug, when you get a moment please PM me Norman's address
so that I can also give him a proper thanks for being so patient
throughout the entire event. I'm sure we all got caught up with
our boats from time to time so I want to make sure he knows
how much we all appreciate Wendy and his dedication to the sport.

Finally, thanks for all the help and camaraderie from:
Rick Workman, Reed Eagle, Bill Britton, Doug Smock, Chris Harris,
Ben (Fighter-Cat RC), Mic & Jay Halbreder, Jerry Crowther, and
Norman and Wendy.

Oh and what a super Fish-Fry.......Thanks Mary and Rick Workman !

Also continued thanks to Jason Sims for all his racing help.
Hopefully I returned the favor in some small part.
Congrats again for his first IMPBA SAWS World Record. Well done Jason !

Can't wait till next year,
Ken :bounce:

BILL OXIDEAN
09-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Here are some pics fellas..6013760136601386013960140

BILL OXIDEAN
09-14-2011, 08:39 AM
6014260143601416014460145More pics guys:

line6
09-18-2011, 01:32 AM
Great race guys. lots of fun. being my first saws i gotta say it was a little more work than i would think. lota fast boats, Doug's big mono and Chris's hydro are nuts. and kens little sport hydro is just going way to fast for such a little boat. I think Benjamin (fightercat) gets the hard charger award. that guy was busy all weekend. and bill def has all the little boats down. all in all i had i great time hanging with everyone that was there. O and Ken of course your a huge help :tiphat: . cant wait to get back to another SAW.

JAson Sims

BILL OXIDEAN
09-18-2011, 09:03 AM
Ya' did great down there Sims.
As you were told many go to these events for years having never busted a record much less an N-2 the most contested class..

Doug Smock
09-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Man finally got a chance to catch up!
Just want to thank Chris Harris for all the hard work on and off the site to pull this event off.
Jason, Mason, Rick, Reed, thanks for all of your help with the site!
Thanks again Norman and Wendy for keeping score and pulling the retrieve boat from Atl.
Rick and Mary Workman thanks for the killer fish and shrimp dinner. Man that hit the spot!!
Rick, can't thank you enough for helping me with the stabilizer on the E250. It's true man, between you and me there ain't much we can't mess up. :laugh:

Blue Lake Records Trials are what they are because of the people that attend them, and this one was no exception. :bowdown:
Thanks everyone!!! I had a blast!!
Here are a few more pics.
Doug6045460455604566045760458

Doug Smock
09-18-2011, 09:23 PM

Doug Smock
09-18-2011, 09:30 PM
:patriot:

RandyatBBY
09-19-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks every one for the pictures. I could not make it to Valdosta, but I am there in spirit.

Namba328
09-20-2011, 04:35 AM
hmmmm did anyone take any video?????

Chris Harris
09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Actually my son took a ton of video. It's a lot to sort through but we're working on it.

Chris

Namba328
09-20-2011, 02:41 PM
well im sure all of us over here on the west coast would like to see our buddy wilmer's runs lol :rofl:

Doug Smock
09-21-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey fellas,
The records have been updated!
http://impba.net/attachments/063_RECORDS%2020%20SEPTEMBER%202011.pdf

Doug:tiphat:

Chris Harris
09-22-2011, 07:10 AM
COOL! Thanks for all your hard work Bud.

Chris

Doug Smock
09-22-2011, 04:33 PM
COOL! Thanks for all your hard work Bud.

Chris

You're :welcome: sir!!:tiphat:

BILL OXIDEAN
10-04-2011, 09:37 AM
Ladies and gents, if you ever wondered what this rigger was all about, here's a glimpse of what it can do on sticky water with the sponsons out of adjustment! (I'd hate to see what its capable of on good water with the sponsons dialed to Chris' specs)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Mj-NKR-AM

BILL OXIDEAN
10-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Hey guys, I see Ron Desmond still has a 2-lap record, can we leave it alone for at least a season or two?
I really liked that guy, and had no idea he was such an accomplished pioneer..

BILL OXIDEAN
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Hey Doug, you and Chris still out there at blue lake? I wanna' go back to that race lol
Valdosta SAWS is by far the best event going in the country right now. Thats a place where a guy can REALLY optimize his score.

killer vibes..

bbill1
10-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Why Wilmer,

whatever do you mean?...

Didn't you see the same at Legg Lake? :laugh:

/B

BILL OXIDEAN
10-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Why Wilmer,

whatever do you mean?...

Didn't you see the same at Legg Lake? :laugh:

/B

LoL No, not this time around!
Wussup Bill, howya' doin?

cybercrxt
10-20-2011, 09:58 AM
Hey Bill Ox,

Please repost what you had earlier today. Apparently I missed it and I heard it was rather interesting! Either that, or PM me the info!

Thanks,

Mike Luszcz
D12 IMPBA (ODMBA and Valdosta promotor)

BILL OXIDEAN
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Hey Bill Ox,

Please repost what you had earlier today. Apparently I missed it and I heard it was rather interesting! Either that, or PM me the info!

Thanks,

Mike Luszcz
D12 IMPBA (ODMBA and Valdosta promotor)

I got my mouth washed out with soap by my lady lol! J/K
I was joking, but I didn't want anything taken serious or out of context so I edited it..

Doug Smock
10-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Hi Bill,
That was interesting.:tape:
Glad you had a good time in Valdosta.

Doug