PDA

View Full Version : Please Help me!!!!!

HYDROJERRY
06-27-2011, 09:08 PM
I removed my decal cuz i run in pond water and the clear of the decal was turning tanish,, now after removing the decal it left the tan picture still on the hull,,,,i tryed rubbing alcohol and nothing so then i tryed a magic eraser and nothing!!!!!!!any ideals on how to get it off without hurting the paint?????

Rumdog
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
I like the ghost lizard. Try a rubbing compound.

HYDROJERRY
06-28-2011, 10:20 AM
i was thinking of that but wont the waxy leftover mess it up if i want to install other decals or clear coat it,, was hoping for some type of cleaner to just rub it off...

HyperJack
06-28-2011, 10:41 AM
Try with WD-40

Flying Scotsman
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
What is the original finish....paint, gelcoat,etc.??

Douggie

Smoothops
06-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Wet sand it and buff it.....

HYDROJERRY
06-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Hyperjack,,,, what would wd-40 do i no it will take off the glue but this looks like its stained or something..

Flying Scotsman,,, it is the factory paint ,,gelcoat i think..

Smoothops,,, i thought of that but i used to detail cars years ago and no that after buffing in time some of the wetsanding will come back buffing or polishing mostly just fills in the scuffing and after time will show back up if you dont keep it waxed,,

i think tonight ill try some one step cleaner wax or some super light compound,,all good ideas thow,, thanks for trying to help guys!!!

jamespl
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
if its clearcoat you could try a bar of detailing clay. i had some bird mess on my car and could not get the stain it left off with polish or wax, the clay got it off. takes some elbow grease tough.

Stinger9D9
06-28-2011, 06:14 PM
It looks like the sun has faded the finish in the areas not protected by the decal. In other words, your hull has a "tan".

You'll most likely need to use a rubbing compound to remove the faded layers of paint (or gelcoat) until you get down to a level not affected by the sun - if you can. Sort of like using a cheese grater to scrape off a sunburn (ouch). You're probably better putting another decal on or repainting the boat if that fading goes too deep into the finish.

How long did you leave the boat out in the sun for this kind of damage to occur?

graill
06-28-2011, 06:38 PM
My dollar and two cents, your decals screwed you. The color leeching happens with decal/wrap brands that are not ink inert, chemicals in the ink stay active. Acids/carriers in the ink leech through and discolor the surface paint, clear or otherwise.

Its a simple reaction, like clear covers for example used to protect baseball cards or other documents causing the things they were supposed to protect to fade or yellow because of the chemicals in the protecting sleeve were still active.

Got a lot of sanding to do as others have pointed out. in the future ask the manufacturer of your decals/vinyl if the ink is "inert" meaning that the ink chemicaly locks once printed and does not bleed to other surfaces. Your 113 decal will likely show the same discoloration on the paint surface.

Observations by other members about sun damage is also valid but not the case here. On a side note to prevent sun damage use a good uv wax and reapply from time to time after stripping the old application away with iso alchohol. UV spec'd wax helps prevent the sun shadow situations due to fading of the paint and areas protected/covered by decals/vinyl.

HYDROJERRY
06-28-2011, 08:06 PM
Well first im going to try everything before i start wetsanding,,,i realy hope its not color leeching,, ive only had the boat about two weeks and its only been out in the sun for about 4hrs per weekend,,, well im gonna try some things!!!!

HYDROJERRY
06-29-2011, 10:00 AM
i tryed the one step cleaner wax last night nothing happend, i gess ill try something else...

airman66285
06-29-2011, 10:09 AM
i tryed the one step cleaner wax last night nothing happend, i gess ill try something else...
I had the same problem as you did. What worked for me was leaving the hull out in direct sunlight for a couple of days. The UV evened everything out perfectly.

coolmind
06-29-2011, 12:05 PM
I had the same problem as you did. What worked for me was leaving the hull out in direct sunlight for a couple of days. The UV evened everything out perfectly.
I have the same problem with a miss elam 1/12 and i will give a try to your idea.Thanks

HYDROJERRY
06-29-2011, 01:15 PM
yep i had an elam and it had the same issue but i wasent replacing the decals so no prob, so ill give it a try,,seams if the sun caused it then hopefully it will fix it!!! Good idea Airman,,,
Nice boat avatar you got there coolmind,, i saw the pics in the pic section,,youd like my 32'' deepv,,ill have to post some pics un the pictures section..

monojeff
06-29-2011, 04:02 PM
Try some denatured alcohol if you have some this will let you know if there is any ink on the surface.
If the ink has seaped I would think this would remove it without having to wet sand.
If the alcohol shows signs of ink and doesn't remove it all the way try a clay bar I would think this would finish the job.

The sun trick should help some as with any decal when out in the sun the areas covered by the decals will be brighter then the rest if ever removed but yours looks a bit different because they were clear decals they did not completely cover the boats surface and sun light could deal through in the lighter printed areas. So the sunlight was not evenly distributed.

HYDROJERRY
06-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks Jeff,, i tryed the alcohol and nothing and nothing on the rag,,it has to be stained, or just the sun fade i gess,,, i got home to late tonight but ill set it out tomorrow afternoon when i get home and see what happens,,,good way to screw up my ideas now im going to have to wait to put your decals on it(@@%#%#$$$^%&),,sorry,,

monojeff
06-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Yep sounds like the sun just worked its way through the inks in the vinyl since they were clear and certain areas saw more sun then others and the inks were like a screen window and changed the light rays into a ghosted decal on there. Crazy how powerful the sun is considering you haven't had it out that long.