PDA

View Full Version : Should Traxxas Replace all our original motors/esc's?

Snafujg
06-27-2011, 06:52 PM
So I was thinking today that Traxxas really should replace all our motors/esc's that they sold in those first batches. In my opinion, them sending out the new motor/esc is basically a recall. They recognized there was an issue and they are now sending out 4 pole motors from a new manufacturer. So if someone buys a new Spartan, they will get the new motor/esc. Why shouldn't all of us that have had the Spartan's for a while also get the new motor?

I ran my stock motor/esc once on NIMH, once on 4S, and once on 6S. Then switched to CC1515/Seaking180A. Now, I want to get in on the new traxxas motor even if it is unproven. But traxxas won't replace mine unless there is something wrong with mine. So I tried to blow it up this past weekend with no luck. It got really, really hot with 2 sets of 3S back to back. So hot that I burnt the tip of my finger touching the rubber grommet on the side where the water outlet was. Took the hatch off, and it was smoking. But the darn thing still turns. Any ideas how to kill it for good to get it replaced?

And does anyone agree with me that we should all get our original motors/esc's replaced for free?

Shaun78
06-27-2011, 07:41 PM
keep using it, it will go....

jj2003
06-27-2011, 09:40 PM
100%, especially since they told me it electrics were only covered for 30 days!

dag-nabit
06-27-2011, 10:11 PM
So I was thinking today that Traxxas really should replace all our motors/esc's that they sold in those first batches. In my opinion, them sending out the new motor/esc is basically a recall. They recognized there was an issue and they are now sending out 4 pole motors from a new manufacturer. So if someone buys a new Spartan, they will get the new motor/esc. Why shouldn't all of us that have had the Spartan's for a while also get the new motor?

I ran my stock motor/esc once on NIMH, once on 4S, and once on 6S. Then switched to CC1515/Seaking180A. Now, I want to get in on the new traxxas motor even if it is unproven. But traxxas won't replace mine unless there is something wrong with mine. So I tried to blow it up this past weekend with no luck. It got really, really hot with 2 sets of 3S back to back. So hot that I burnt the tip of my finger touching the rubber grommet on the side where the water outlet was. Took the hatch off, and it was smoking. But the darn thing still turns. Any ideas how to kill it for good to get it replaced?

And does anyone agree with me that we should all get our original motors/esc's replaced for free?

That would be nice, but it isn't going to happen, Traxxas is going to sidestep this as much as possible, if your unit doesn't fry, or, if you don't contact them if it does, you are not going to see replacements.

If they offered everyone a replacement, that would be admitting failure.

If they only replace units returned to them, Every Spartan sitting on a shelf with an owner to PO'd to bother, every Spartan owner like me who said "to heck with it" and replaced all the stock components without ever plugging them in, and the few that are actually out there still running, will all be considered successful by Traxxas.

In the end, they will be able to say, we sold XXX units, and only XX units were returned on warranty, this problem was blown out of proportion, but since we are such a great and wonderful company, and in keeping with ongoing efforts for continuous improvement, we decided to change a few things just to be certain our customers always receive the best product possible.

i.e. they will spin it.

Kevin

Kevin

roadrashracing
06-27-2011, 11:34 PM
After 30 days has anyone sent their stuff in and not paided the replacement fee, or has traxxas be warrenting them?

Shaun78
06-28-2011, 06:24 AM
they will warranty the original stuff no matter when you bought it. if it goes im sure they will honor it

Snafujg
06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Traxxas did tell me the 30 days aren't the end all be all. If you're close to your warranty period, they said they will honor it. I would hope that they would honor it even more now that they know there was an issue with the original electronics.

roadrashracing
06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
I posted this on their facebook page hoping to get some answers:

I am writting for all us spartan owners out there, we know that traxxas has a new speedcontrol and motor for it, what are our options? If we have a faulty motor or speedcontrol and its more then 30 days old is the stuff being covered or are we stuck paying the $50 and $60 prices to get them replaced, thanks.

GeoVW72
06-28-2011, 07:29 PM
Agreed Kevin :thumbup:

Should they, Yes, Will they, not unless you have a problem and contact then. As they said there are many happy Spartan owners out there :olleyes:
I imagine that this will end up like the first gen VXL-3s(the ones with the bullets in the case), If it's old it's replaced no questions asked.
If they went out and admitted the problem as a recall no one would buy the boat unless they knew it had the new system in it, think of how many boats are still on shelves at hobbytown.

Not that the information isn't widely available through a quick google, I'm surprised the the thread on the traxxas forum is still there :spy:

I think that the only thing that's going to spark interest in the Spartan is the new Castle one
But then you still have the problems with the drive line, and hull issues :closedeyes: