PDA

View Full Version : MinicatRacing Samurai motor question

tlandauer
06-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I have a Samurai cat from MinicatUsa and it comes with a "Tenshock" 2000Kv motor. Dimension is about 40x60. Being slightly larger than a standard 540-sized brushless motor. I really love the boat but the motor gets quite hot, I am using their stock setup (prop), the only thing different is I am using a Seaking 90A ESC instead of their "Tenshock" brand. The ESC is cool to the touch, only the motor gets hot, anyway by turning the motor I don't feel cogging hence I think at the most it is a 2-pole motor. Want to up grade to at least a 4 pole one. Don't know if Leopard is over kill, speed is not the ultimate goal, I just want a motor that is not over working so it will not burn the motor mount ( laminated plastic? epoxied into the hull). Aquacraft or Proboat will be fine, just want advice,thanks in advance. Tim

Alexgar
06-27-2011, 10:59 PM
Maybe a cc1512 it's about the same size or a1515

tlandauer
06-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Thanks, I will check into that, although I thought that motor is quite a bit longer than the stock one. May be I am wrong, any chance you know the exact length?
Thanks

Alexgar
06-28-2011, 11:44 AM
1512 40x68 1515 40x75

Alexgar
06-28-2011, 11:45 AM
Also everybody keeps talking about leopards but I havent tried one yet

tlandauer
06-30-2011, 06:23 AM
The CC motors are not cheap. I have a Leopard Gold in my Miss Geico 40x82, 2200Kv, they call it "Nemesis Gold 482" ( FineDesign Rc) it works but I haven't the time to try its full potential, will let you know sometime in the next 2 weeks, hopefully! well, I guess this may not be the right place to post this, sorry.

sailr
06-30-2011, 08:08 AM
The motor mount is fiberglass, not plastic. Not sure why the motor is running hot. Have you check for good water flow through the water jacket? Yes, it is a 2 pole motor.

tlandauer
06-30-2011, 11:31 AM
You are right to question me why the motor is hot: I didn't see any reason for it either: now that I am thinking more about this I suspect it was because the coupler was not completely tight:doh: and the friction cause by the motor running faster than the prop shaft generated all the heat, the motor mount was hot and I only checked the motor temp sure wish I had thought of checking the entire front shaft and the coupler. The water was flowing out and I lubed the shaft per your instruction--by the way that blend of half STP and half motor oil works great! I will get back here when I run the Samurai with the new coupler.

tlandauer
07-01-2011, 12:28 AM
Hi Sailr,
This is to follow up this morning's discussion: I ran the Samurai today and boy was it a pleasure and fast heart beat experience. I ran full throttle for 4 plus min. and brought her in, the motor mount was not hot, just warm. The motor is quite warm to the touch but within reasonable limits so I think with the problem corrected (lose coupler) I will no longer fear the fiberglass motor mount burned! One question, how much slower if I try one smaller size prop? Using stock now, just curious...

sailr
07-01-2011, 11:31 AM
Good to hear you found the problem! I suspect you'll lose about 5mph with the smaller prop but not sure. Never tried it!