PDA

View Full Version : New to the forums and RC boats.

EdgeX600
06-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Hello everyone, just joined and wanted to ask a few questions.

I've been looking into getting an RC boat for some time now, and since all my other RC products are Traxxas (T-Maxx3.3, Summit) I figured i check out the Spartan.

After doing some research i noticed alot of people are having some serious issues with them.

I noticed tower hobbies doesn't list any in stock so was wondering is traxxas currently fixing the issues with it? or will i still have to modify it?

I probably wont tackle LiPo's right off the bat as im just getting into electrics and dont really think im ready for all the power the LiPos put out. so my question is on the stock 2 3000mah packs whats the average run time of the boat? would i be able to push more run time out of it, if i went with a 5000 or 6200 mah pack?

I did see one in my LHS today when i went to get a driveshaft pin for my T-Maxx, i almost bought it eventhough it was blue and not red, but they wanted like 430 for it, when its listed at 389 with 60 dollars off on tower right now.

So Should i wait for it to be in stock or should i find another boat all together?

the5
06-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Get it from Tower. When they come in stock they will be with V2 Motors and cheaper.

EdgeX600
06-26-2011, 10:59 PM
Get it from Tower. When they come in stock they will be with V2 Motors and cheaper.

Thank you for the reply, im assuming the new Motor will be better then the current one the boat comes with?

the5
06-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Yes it will. You can tell the new mottor by the Matte finish and Big silver front part or endbell.

the5
06-26-2011, 11:05 PM

dag-nabit
06-27-2011, 11:17 AM
I agree with the other posters, make sure you receive the "new" version of the Spartan, not one out of old stock. The motor has been upgraded and speculation is that the ESC has also been changed. Changes to the ESC are not 100% confirmed but there have been some subtle hints that suggest it has been upgraded or changed out as well.

One poster stated that Traxxas had advised "not to run the new motor with the old ESC because the new ESC was tuned differently", and another poster indicated that the dimensions were just slightly different.

As to whether or not the problems have been fixed is a matter of "time will tell", but those that have received and run the new components seem optimistic that things are better now.

It will be interesting to find out if the new Spartan owners manual will provide any detail on the new components, like confirming the kv on the motor, and the amp rating on the ESC.

Kevin

the5
06-27-2011, 11:20 AM
I am getting my new electronics in on the 29th but leaving for 8 days in the morning. So there will be an official write up on them on the 7th. I will also try to use castle link software.

EdgeX600
06-27-2011, 05:09 PM
I agree with the other posters, make sure you receive the "new" version of the Spartan, not one out of old stock. The motor has been upgraded and speculation is that the ESC has also been changed. Changes to the ESC are not 100% confirmed but there have been some subtle hints that suggest it has been upgraded or changed out as well.

One poster stated that Traxxas had advised "not to run the new motor with the old ESC because the new ESC was tuned differently", and another poster indicated that the dimensions were just slightly different.

As to whether or not the problems have been fixed is a matter of "time will tell", but those that have received and run the new components seem optimistic that things are better now.

It will be interesting to find out if the new Spartan owners manual will provide any detail on the new components, like confirming the kv on the motor, and the amp rating on the ESC.

Kevin

Thank you for the reply dag, i guess ill just keep an eye on tower and wait for them to come in stock. Really excited to be getting my first boat hope all turns out ok haha, any idea on what i could do to make run times longer using higher mah packs? dont want to have to drag an army of batteries with me lol

dag-nabit
06-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Run 5S or 6S batteries in parallel instead of 2x3S in series.

Myself and others have also tried running 4x3S batteries in parallel/series connection. It works good for increasing run time but the extra weight does sacrifice some speed.

Kevin