PDA

View Full Version : Bullet connections, shrink wrap, heat, and water

barryaclarke
06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
I am new to FE’s, so please be helpful if I ask a stupid question. Looking a connections from the ESC to the battery/s, I notice after soldering 5.5mm bullets, they are insulated with shrink wrap and the wrap is extended on one fitting so that it overlaps with the other when connected. Great! But from what I have been reading, these joints heat up to anywhere from 120 degrees or higher at times. Does this shrink the wrap making it hard to unplug your batteries after a run if they have heated up? Then what about the next run with these batteries that have had their shrink wrap shrunk? (say that ten times fast) And lastly, are these bullet connections with shrink wrap considered water tight enough if some water gets inside of the hull?

osprey21
06-26-2011, 03:14 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/ibm4qr.jpg

LarrysDrifter
06-26-2011, 03:49 PM
It doesn't make it hard to unplug, nor is it water tight. It doesn't need to be. The next batteries used will be fine too.

JIM MARCUM
06-27-2011, 05:40 PM
I always use a 1500 watt heat gun (kinda like a blow dryer {<$15 at Harbor Freight}) to fully shrink any shrink tubing. That way it won't shrink further no matter how hot the connectors/wires get. Some folks use a lighter or small flame to do the shrinking. That may leave it only partialy shrunk & it will shrink more when wires get hot.
JIM

Boaterguy
06-27-2011, 06:29 PM
It doesn't matter if the shrink gets a little smaller, I take a block of wood and drill two holes in it, almost fully through, the bullets then go in there so there is no chance of shrinking.

kookie_guy
06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
It doesn't matter if the shrink gets a little smaller, I take a block of wood and drill two holes in it, almost fully through, the bullets then go in there so there is no chance of shrinking.

say wha???

Boaterguy
06-27-2011, 06:36 PM
oh, the shrink gets smaller and exposes a little bit of the female connector. to stop the connector from shorting out you put the block on when you aren't using your boat so the connectors don't short out

kookie_guy
06-27-2011, 06:41 PM
oh, the shrink gets smaller and exposes a little bit of the female connector. to stop the connector from shorting out you put the block on when you aren't using your boat so the connectors don't short out

ohhhhhh, ok. lol. Because you wrote "the bullets then go in there so there is no chance of shrinking", you ment to say shorting. lol, I was like, wtf does wood have to do with the heat shrink not shrinking. lol