PDA

View Full Version : Motley Crew Questions.

FE_Chris
06-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Hey fellas. I've been out of RC for a while. But the bug just keeps on biting. I would like to do a build or a nitro to FE conversion, but I don't have the time for something like that. The Air Force just keeps on asking more and more of me and what can I say, I deliver. RTR's are about the best option I have. I am looking for a nice boat that will run 40ish MPH that includes a 2.4Ghz radio. The AQ Motley Crew really caught my eye. Looks like a real nice boat. The youtube videos sure make it look like it runs about 40 right out of the box. Before I pull the trigger and spend 700 bucks on a boat, Lipos, Charger and all the other misc things one needs (I sold almost everything when I got out a couple/few years back) I have a few questions.

#1 - No one has them in stock, and I was wondering why? Did they pull them for some reason? Problems? I have a line on one for 350$ shipped, but there is only one left. At the same time I don't want to order one and find out AQ pulled it for bum motor/esc reasons or something like that.

#2 - I have been searching and reading and it looks like about the only issue people have had is the bum flex cable. Besides ordering the OSE flex cable for this bad boy, is there anything else I should look at getting?

#3 - Props. Grim recommends a 42x55 AQ prop. Seeing the videos it certainly looks like it's a great step-up from the stock carbon prop but I was hoping to get some advice on the "best" prop. I hesitate to say best because I have been in to FE long enought to know there is no real best prop for any boat. I am looking for the highest top speed. No concerned with cavitation. I'm not one of those guys that will complain about a little cavitation as long as she scoots when she gets on plane.

Thanks for the help. Looks like most of the same "old" people are still around. Glad to see you guys still enjoying this hobby. I appreciate the advice.

Beers! :buttrock:

(EDIT: - Forgot to mention, on the flip side, amainhobbies has a great deal on a Miss Geico for about 290$ shipped w/ their 25$ off coupon.(Sorry Steve but it looks like your about sold out of everything I am looking for) I'm not really worried about the 60 bucks, but from what I can tell the AQ MC is a faster boat with a higher KV motor and a higher amp handling ESC. So if some of you think I am making a mistake by going with the AQ MC and think I should go for the MG, let me know. On a side note, if PB had the Mystic 29 out, I think I would be sold on that. Again, thanks.)

BLAZE WON
06-26-2011, 08:40 AM
as far as rtr cats go the miss geico is a good boat. im sure the mystic will be also but the motley crew is an excellent, well thought out,better handling, faster boat. i own both and imo the miss geico doesnt come close to the motley.proboat is coming out with a 31 inch v hull called the impulse. now that could be another story. we"ll have to wait & see.

FE_Chris
06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the reply blaze.

I orderd my stuff today. I got the MC, 4- 5000 Mah 40c Zippy lipos, a Protek 610 DUO charger from Amain, and a bunch of other little odds and ends like a PSU and a watts up style meter. Can't wait to get it!!! Oh, also ordered a upgraded flex shaft from OSE here.

Diesel6401
06-26-2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the reply blaze.

I orderd my stuff today. I got the MC, 4- 5000 Mah 40c Zippy lipos, a Protek 610 DUO charger from Amain, and a bunch of other little odds and ends like a PSU and a watts up style meter. Can't wait to get it!!! Oh, also ordered a upgraded flex shaft from OSE here.

Good stuff man, the MC is a great boat. To be real honest with you the last Proboat and Aquacraft offerings have been amazing. Whether you picked the Motley Crew, Miss Geico, Mystic, Ul-1 or a the Impulse 31 you would have been happy with any of them. The rtr market just keeps getting better and better and Darin from PB and Grim from AQ are just doing amazing jobs...

To answer your question, the Motley Crew is not pulled form stock or anything like that. You can't find them because there bada$$ and sold out lol...

BLAZE WON
06-26-2011, 11:38 PM
while youre at it order a m445 get it s&b and youll be well on your way. have fun!

FE_Chris
06-27-2011, 06:24 AM
Dude, I'm trying to get a m445 but NO ONE has them. Not even from the cast, let alone S&B'ed.

If you got a line on a m445 let me know! 'cause I want it!

FE_Chris
06-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Still no luck finding a m445. Guess I will have to settle on a 42x55 grim prop. What's the deal with the shortages on FE RC stuff? OSE is even out of carbon props!!! (the ones I want anyway)

FE_Chris
06-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Another question I can't seem to find the answer to. What's the lipo cut off of the stock MC ESC?

FE_Chris
06-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I found it. Looks like it's 11.64v with a bump @ 12v.

Kind of low for a lipo cut off isn't it? I thought it might bump @ 12.4v and cut off @ 12v.....

longballlumber
06-28-2011, 02:40 PM
I found it. Looks like it's 11.64v with a bump @ 12v.

Kind of low for a lipo cut off isn't it? I thought it might bump @ 12.4v and cut off @ 12v.....

Personally, I would never use the LVC as the notification of battery voltage. I would time your runs once you establish a baseline.

Later,
Mike

FE_Chris
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks Mike. I plan on it. One of the reasons I got the watts up style meter to wire in the boat. I like a cut off to be 3.2-3.3v per cell. Especially with these newer lipo batteries.

Stinger9D9
06-28-2011, 10:59 PM
Still no luck finding a m445. Guess I will have to settle on a 42x55 grim prop. What's the deal with the shortages on FE RC stuff? OSE is even out of carbon props!!! (the ones I want anyway)

If you're handy with prop work (and can find an x445 in stock anywhere) you can detongue an x445 effectively turning it into an m445.

I wouldn't do that much work to beryllium without a P-100 respirator and industrial HEPA vacuum for the dust (you only have one pair of lungs after all), but if you have access to that stuff, go ahead and file away. I do have access to the respirator and vacuum, but access to the patience it takes to do up a prop nicely - well that's a bit harder to come by sometimes.

FE_Chris
07-02-2011, 06:40 PM
Stinger thanks for the advice. I do in fact have a respirator. No vacuum, but I can make do without that. I balance and sharpen outside so it shouldn't be a problem. I have a line on a m445, so we'll see how this works out.

Thanks guys.