PDA

View Full Version : State of the Economy

airman66285
06-24-2011, 01:18 PM
A week ago we fired our secretary for performance issues. Later that same day, we posted a job classified in our local paper. In six days time, we have received 267 resumes for the secretary position. 7 of those applicants have their MBA....:noidea:
I know that the economy is not doing very well but I am shocked that we have received that many applications. When we hired the lady we just fired two years ago, we had a total of 14 applicants for the position. Unbelievable and sad!

m4a1usr
06-24-2011, 03:24 PM
It does tell us that. Too bad the folks we elected cant seem to get the fact that unless they spend money on job creation those who are unemployed will be stuck on federal or state money for a very long time. I know some will argue that its not the feds job to create jobs. But its been 3 long years since this down turn in the economy and the private sector is hamstringed. Only recently have the banks been more open to business loans and those seeking to expand on their own product line. Slow economic recovery doesnt mean too much to them.

I hope if the bottom falls out from under us again we just let Wall Street and the Banks fail. Yes it will mean a huge depression but sometimes you have to make the journey to know its loss. And we as a society just dont for the most part. I see people on TV at job fairs playing with the latest hand held "whatever" while in line. Obviously they can pay their monthly bill to stay connected. What does it say about their ability to conserve money? Almost everytime I'm at the local Walmart I see a lady yaking her head off with the phone to her ear, yet pays with a State Food Stamps Card. Yeah. That makes sense. I'm paying taxes to support those not willing or able to cut their expenditures. I guess they need their lifestyle at taxpayer cost.

Like I said. We need a good, long, hard depression to get America back to reality. Maybe thats harsh words on my part but the attitude seems to have obviously shifted what being poor means. And that there is such a thing as no one, not even the government coming to their aid. Yeah, like that will ever happen. Sorry about the worthless rant.

John

Steven Vaccaro
06-24-2011, 03:56 PM
We had an opening last year, I was tired of people that couldn't add, subtract or multiply.
We gave a 10 question quiz with the job ap. Here is a sample of 5 of the questions.

Question 1) A person wants to buy an item that cost 59.86 and its on sale for 40% off. What is the cost of the item, after the discount? ________.

Question 2) A person wants to buy an item that cost 89.90 and its on sale for 45% off. What is the cost of the item, after the discount?________.

Question 3) If you sell a person two items, the first cost $180.20 and the second $55.00.
What is the total cost of the two items? _________. If both of these items are on sale for 20% off, please tell me the total _________.

Question 4) If you sell a person two items, the first item is $115.10 and on sale for 30% off and the second item is $55.00 and on sale for 50% off, what is the individual cost of each item?
$115.10 = _________. $55.00 =________. What would the total cost be for those two items? _______.

Question 5) If the sales tax is 6.25%. What is the sales tax on a item that cost $102.50 ________

most people couldn't answer half correctly.

airman66285
06-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Utterly pathetic! The lady we let go couldn't even type up a Letter of Transmittal without screwing up addresses and multiple typos. As a nation, on SO many levels, we are in a real hurt locker...

Flying Scotsman
06-24-2011, 04:32 PM
A week ago we fired our secretary for performance issues. Later that same day, we posted a job classified in our local paper. In six days time, we have received 267 resumes for the secretary position. 7 of those applicants have their MBA....:noidea:
I know that the economy is not doing very well but I am shocked that we have received that many applications. When we hired the lady we just fired two years ago, we had a total of 14 applicants for the position. Unbelievable and sad!

Interesting and sad...I would love to know what Universities those individuals acquiered their MBA degrees from....lots of applicants and no basic skills...our school system sucks in North America unless it is a private school with proper credentials.

Douggie

Steven Vaccaro
06-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Utterly pathetic! The lady we let go couldn't even type up a Letter of Transmittal without screwing up addresses and multiple typos. As a nation, on SO many levels, we are in a real hurt locker...

I agree. :cursing:

Steven Vaccaro
06-24-2011, 04:39 PM
The clerk we hired also struggled on the quiz, but demonstrated other strong qualities, one of them showed us she could be schooled on the job.
Funny thing about that, she spent 4 years at a PAID Catholic girls High School. This isnt trying to point out that Catholic schools are a poor choice. Just pointing out that the fact that schools are not teaching our kids, public or private.

airman66285
06-24-2011, 04:51 PM
Regarding the MBA credentials, I have found that the more letters one has after their name, the more useless they truly are in an employment setting (generally speaking).

Flying Scotsman
06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
The plot thickens, I went to public (private) schools in the UK and the best teachers I ever had were male in these subjects...physics, history, geography and english.

Douggie

ray schrauwen
06-24-2011, 05:37 PM
WOW, your not kidding?
Can I apply at your place!?

We had an opening last year, I was tired of people that couldn't add, subtract or multiply.
We gave a 10 question quiz with the job ap. Here is a sample of 5 of the questions.

Question 1) A person wants to buy an item that cost 59.86 and its on sale for 40% off. What is the cost of the item, after the discount? ________.

Question 2) A person wants to buy an item that cost 89.90 and its on sale for 45% off. What is the cost of the item, after the discount?________.

Question 3) If you sell a person two items, the first cost $180.20 and the second $55.00.
What is the total cost of the two items? _________. If both of these items are on sale for 20% off, please tell me the total _________.

Question 4) If you sell a person two items, the first item is $115.10 and on sale for 30% off and the second item is $55.00 and on sale for 50% off, what is the individual cost of each item?
$115.10 = _________. $55.00 =________. What would the total cost be for those two items? _______.

Question 5) If the sales tax is 6.25%. What is the sales tax on a item that cost $102.50 ________

hebner
06-24-2011, 06:03 PM
Were the applicants allowed to use a calculator to take the quiz?

Steven Vaccaro
06-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Were the applicants allowed to use a calculator to take the quiz?Yes and no time limit to finish

hebner
06-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Wow what planet are they from! You couldn't have made it any easier.

LarrysDrifter
06-24-2011, 07:42 PM
I saw a push mower next to the sidewalk by the street. Then, I saw a mid 40's looking woman hauling butt down her driveway in a motorized chair. She hops off the chair and begins push mowing her lawn. She had no limp to her. She pushed that mower around like it was nothing. When I first saw her in her chair, I thought to myself,"just another disabled person". I'm going off a good assumption here, but I highly doubt she is disabled. My second thought was " look, another lazy idiot I help provide a welfare check to". Welfare and food stamp cards should be non-existent. If your too lazy to work, then the government should ship you one of each a week: loaf of bread, package of cheese and a container of peanut butter. If you want more, get off your lazy a$$ and get a job. Any job, don't matter what, just get one. I also love it when people walk up and ask for change. I tell them, " I already provided you with change, look in your mailbox". I'm done ranting. Right or wrong, that's how I feel. Laziness has got to go.

ray schrauwen
06-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Were the applicants allowed to use a calculator to take the quiz?

A calculator for that!?? Mama Cita, what the heck, can't people do that by hand or at least guesstimate in their heads?

Steven Vaccaro
06-25-2011, 09:41 AM
I saw a push mower next to the sidewalk by the street. Then, I saw a mid 40's looking woman hauling butt down her driveway in a motorized chair. She hops off the chair and begins push mowing her lawn. She had no limp to her. She pushed that mower around like it was nothing. When I first saw her in her chair, I thought to myself,"just another disabled person". I'm going off a good assumption here, but I highly doubt she is disabled. My second thought was " look, another lazy idiot I help provide a welfare check to". Welfare and food stamp cards should be non-existent. If your too lazy to work, then the government should ship you one of each a week: loaf of bread, package of cheese and a container of peanut butter. If you want more, get off your lazy a$$ and get a job. Any job, don't matter what, just get one. I also love it when people walk up and ask for change. I tell them, " I already provided you with change, look in your mailbox". I'm done ranting. Right or wrong, that's how I feel. Laziness has got to go.Please don't get me started. I'm tired of seeing all these useless people living off the system. I have stories, I can write a book!

sundog
06-25-2011, 06:53 PM

1. $35.92
2. $49.45
3. $235.20, $188.16
4. $$108.07
5. $6.41
Since nobody volunteered the answers, I thought I'd pitch in. FTR, I don't have a high school diploma. I quit school in the 10th grade to get a job, and got a GED to join the Marines. If I hadn't loved electronics (mostly math) I probably wouldn't be so good with numbers. What really gets me is folks that use words out of context, such as: they're, their, there and to, two, too. A spell checker won't help that.

fatboyelectric
06-25-2011, 08:04 PM
During his run for office Lord Obama made promisses of "Change". Well, I'd say we got it. His administration has incurred more debt than every other president in our history COMBINED! If you find that hard to beleave then do the math. If after that you still dont agree, then you probably would not pass Steve's employment test either. LOL. Our forefathers would puke if they saw how badly we have run a muck. The government has become the worlds largest Social Service and left working America the bill for it. The government cannot give to one without taking it from somebody else.

Steven Vaccaro
06-25-2011, 08:15 PM
1. $35.922. $49.453. $235.20, $188.164. $$108.075. $6.41Since nobody volunteered the answers, I thought I'd pitch in. FTR, I don't have a high school diploma. I quit school in the 10th grade to get a job, and got a GED to join the Marines. If I hadn't loved electronics (mostly math) I probably wouldn't be so good with numbers. What really gets me is folks that use words out of context, such as: they're, their, there and to, two, too. A spell checker won't help that.Its been a while since i read the answers and im to lazy to check now. But any Marine has to be right. I can't spell and I barely made it out of high school, but everyone should know how to figure out those word problems with a calc.

Boaterguy
06-25-2011, 08:20 PM
1. $35.92
2. $49.45
3. $235.20, $188.16
4. $$108.07
5. $6.41

Was just about to do this myself, I'm in grade 9, I could do this in 10 minutes... Steve, what is the shipping cost of a kid to your shop? it can come out of my paycheck. :bounce:
Ask me about laziness, I have a story for you. A kid in my french class was failing, of course he doesn't care because he's drugged on whatever the latest thing is. Teacher tells him if he passes his summative he gets the credit (which he does not deserve one bit). Monday, presentation day, I come to the teacher with a "I worked 6 hours to work my 20 minute summative, i'm sorry but windows 7 sucks " (that's another thread we have to start). She tells me it will reduce my mark, thanks windows :cursing:. This kid didn't do it, teacher doesn't give a @%#@, good for her...
The next day I finally downloaded enough programs, (about 15, I only ran my presentation through 10 of them, the other 5 were microsoft based, and of course useless) I did my presentation, her comments are: "that was, you know, okay...". Meanwhile this other kid has not done his, again, and once more, the teacher doesn't care.
Friday, 5 days after the project is due. the kid gets up, and opens a blank document. No, he didn't open a file, he opened a blank document. gives a giggle, "teacher.. it's gone". He got the credit for trying, our schooling system is going downhill, I don't want to get banned, so i'll stick with that.

ron1950
06-25-2011, 08:24 PM
i got em all right and i still dont have a job lol

ray schrauwen
06-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Just a question about ethics and or investing...

What is worse in your opinion? To default on a credit card with $5000 balance or to invest $50,000 in a technology that knowingly destroys the envioronment to make a 10% profit annually?

In the first case, only the credit card company loses $5000 right? Plus the are insured for these losses I think..?

In the second case you & I and the envioronment lose.

Which is worse? Both have garnered $5000 without any real work being done or anything created.

ron1950
06-25-2011, 09:55 PM
ben bernacki the head of the fed reserve was on tv the other day and actually said we dont know why the economy isnt rebounding....lol what a clown.......just look what has happened in the US......we now make nothing in this country....its all down in mexico and islands etc. all the jobs went with em.....the biggest employer in the US is the fed government.....the congress has allready forgotten that we cleaned out a bunch of sluggo's from congress last election....result? nothing they went right back to party politics and cant get anything done.......time to clean out the rest next election...congress seems to live in a congressional world of there own,,,,afterall they exempt themselfs from most laws......congress bailed out the banks and wall street and let the average joe get his house repo'ed.....middle class is disapearing as the rich get richer and the poor are getting poorer as the middle class sinks to there level.....liveing paycheck to paycheck is the norm now not the exception.......there,,,i feel better ....hope things get better all over.....i

Steven Vaccaro
06-26-2011, 01:36 PM
Just a question about ethics and or investing...

What is worse in your opinion? To default on a credit card with $5000 balance or to invest $50,000 in a technology that knowingly destroys the envioronment to make a 10% profit annually?

In the first case, only the credit card company loses $5000 right? Plus the are insured for these losses I think..?

In the second case you & I and the envioronment lose.

Which is worse? Both have garnered $5000 without any real work being done or anything created. they are both wrong.

Steven Vaccaro
06-26-2011, 01:43 PM
Was just about to do this myself, I'm in grade 9, I could do this in 10 minutes... Steve, what is the shipping cost of a kid to your shop? it can come out of my paycheck. :bounce:
Ask me about laziness, I have a story for you. A kid in my french class was failing, of course he doesn't care because he's drugged on whatever the latest thing is. Teacher tells him if he passes his summative he gets the credit (which he does not deserve one bit). Monday, presentation day, I come to the teacher with a "I worked 6 hours to work my 20 minute summative, i'm sorry but windows 7 sucks " (that's another thread we have to start). She tells me it will reduce my mark, thanks windows :cursing:. This kid didn't do it, teacher doesn't give a @%#@, good for her...
The next day I finally downloaded enough programs, (about 15, I only ran my presentation through 10 of them, the other 5 were microsoft based, and of course useless) I did my presentation, her comments are: "that was, you know, okay...". Meanwhile this other kid has not done his, again, and once more, the teacher doesn't care.
Friday, 5 days after the project is due. the kid gets up, and opens a blank document. No, he didn't open a file, he opened a blank document. gives a giggle, "teacher.. it's gone". He got the credit for trying, our schooling system is going downhill, I don't want to get banned, so i'll stick with that.

Believe me, this will make you a stronger person. Let him skate, someday in the near future he will have no ice. 9, 10th and 11th grade are the most important years in a teens life. I tell my kids this all the time.

Boaterguy
06-26-2011, 06:18 PM
well, yes they are, but i'm in 9 so it's not important, next year 10 won't be important, and so on :bounce:
the cracks in the ice are already forming.

drwayne
06-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Here in Australia the public school system now has tabulated results of students available online so parents can compare schools !
Is their cheating ?.. sure.. done by the teachers so their positions are safe from better teachers !

Im a public school student from the '70's.. and Ive done alright.
My therapist tells me Im special.........

drwayne
06-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Talking schools.. kids and lifestyle stereotypes.. and no offense to boaterguy.. are you fat ?
You've been here 2 months.. 600 posts ( 12 per day ) and only in yr 9 junior high.
Shouldnt you be outside in the summer air playing ball or catching frogs ?

Im here because Im at work and work involves online stuff.
My house doesnt even have a TV !.. I love outdoors !
W

Phaleronic
06-27-2011, 07:00 AM
We're properly 'f**ked'. The writing has been on the wall since the 70s; when corporations were allowed to dismember their pension plans, and their gigantic tax loopholes were solidified by the fed. Hunter T saw it a million miles out:

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bull*!***!***!***!**, but even without being sure of “history” it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time—and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change) . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that. . . .

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn’t need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Boaterguy
06-27-2011, 10:17 AM
Talking schools.. kids and lifestyle stereotypes.. and no offense to boaterguy.. are you fat ?
You've been here 2 months.. 600 posts ( 12 per day ) and only in yr 9 junior high.
Shouldnt you be outside in the summer air playing ball or catching frogs ?

Im here because Im at work and work involves online stuff.
My house doesnt even have a TV !.. I love outdoors !
W
5'5" and 110 pounds. not fat, just no muscle. I've never really had a friend so I have nothing to do, and no, I'm not going to go out in public with my parents, that wont help much.
High school has changed so much since you guys have gone. you can't make a single mistake, dropping your pencil will bring you down a social level, it's stupid. I've been to four of five therapists and I tell them all the same thing, every time. They change the subject so I gave up. I spend my summer with my cousins and we are inside for maybe an hour a day, I may post 10 times all summer.

drwayne
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
@boaterguy.
Hang in their dude.
Skool sucked for me too... I was not a footballer, nor alco, druggy, fuggy, fighter, snob, slob .. sorta an outsider.. .. so I read lots, studied more.. and when I left end Yr11 to join navy had a great foundation for the quals and skillset I have now.
Worked hard, learned and gained formal quals along the way... sob, still sorta an outsider... coz i dont look/act the part of the expected stereotypical overqualified penprotector wearing smartass !
Life aint ever easy.. those who climbed over everyone to the top are tumbling now things get unstable... and have no chance of survival without the very system they scorned.. welfare....
First time since 1920's there are more bankrupt US squillionnaires than new ones !

Be proud of who you are and make the most of every situation.

Build/buy a boat and get yourself to the pond and meet other addicts !
Friendships can start from the simplest of associations

You're half way there already.. show me your boat !

W

Jacked1
06-27-2011, 11:54 PM
5'5" and 110 pounds. not fat, just no muscle. I've never really had a friend so I have nothing to do, and no, I'm not going to go out in public with my parents, that wont help much.
High school has changed so much since you guys have gone. you can't make a single mistake, dropping your pencil will bring you down a social level, it's stupid. I've been to four of five therapists and I tell them all the same thing, every time. They change the subject so I gave up. I spend my summer with my cousins and we are inside for maybe an hour a day, I may post 10 times all summer.
Hang in there Brydon, a lot of kids in high school are brutal these days. You seem very bright and intuitive from looking at your other posts and I was surprised to see you are only in 9th grade! You should be proud of that and think about how many other kids your age know what a hydroplane is, let alone build one from scratch. I hope you are planning on a career in engineering.

Jacked1
06-28-2011, 12:06 AM
@boaterguy.
Hang in their dude.
Skool sucked for me too... I was not a footballer, nor alco, druggy, fuggy, fighter, snob, slob .. sorta an outsider.. .. so I read lots, studied more.. and when I left end Yr11 to join navy had a great foundation for the quals and skillset I have now.
Worked hard, learned and gained formal quals along the way... sob, still sorta an outsider... coz i dont look/act the part of the expected stereotypical overqualified penprotector wearing smartass !
Life aint ever easy.. those who climbed over everyone to the top are tumbling now things get unstable... and have no chance of survival without the very system they scorned.. welfare....
First time since 1920's there are more bankrupt US squillionnaires than new ones !

Be proud of who you are and make the most of every situation.

Build/buy a boat and get yourself to the pond and meet other addicts !
Friendships can start from the simplest of associations

You're half way there already.. show me your boat !

W

The first part of that sounds verrry familiar! I have a lot of respect for all those letters after your name, I will be senior in ME in the fall.

ray schrauwen
06-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Brydon, you will do fine. Those that make life difficult for you will some day work for YOU if you just keep at it. You can do it!

Everyone made fun of my friend Andrew Walz (he was called Eugene all though HS and won more scholastic awards than any student in MM Robinson HS history) but, he went on in life to make many acomplishments and now he gets what he wants in life and guys like me work for him!!

I'd rather have his paycheque.:cursing:

ray schrauwen
06-28-2011, 01:05 AM
Andrew was in charge of the successful restoration of WWII Aircraft the Lancaster. http://avrolancasterfm104.com/restoration-3

He is also a pilot now and drive a restored 1970 Dodge Barracuda.

http://avrolancasterfm104.com/restoration-3

Boaterguy
06-28-2011, 11:31 AM
thanks guys, I'm looking forward to a happy, problem free summer with my cousins (not really because two of them just went through breakups, ugh)
I'll come back with many injuries from all the stupid things we do, maybe it'll make me even specialer!! :bounce:

sailr
06-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Teachers aren't allowed to really teach anymore. They have to teach to the damned CAT tests. Teachers that can really teach are held back. If their students don't do well on those federally mandated (A Bush invention) then the teacher is let go. What crap!

Boaterguy
06-28-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree, theres one or two that actually can teach, some that get hired because they have connections. we have a teacher who sells marijuana to the kids.

Steven Vaccaro
06-28-2011, 11:50 AM
I agree, theres one or two that actually can teach, some that get hired because they have connections. we have a teacher who sells marijuana to the kids.

My son was telling me that he can buy marijuana at any time each school day. Not a fact I enjoy sharing.

Boaterguy
06-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Anybody can, I know at least 3 people I could get it from, and that's just marijuana, booze is easier.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to hide stuff from your rents. I would know, I hide half of my boat stuff :D

T.S.Davis
06-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Bill Gates was awkward in his youth. Heck, he's still awkward. Wonder how many mister popular all that jock a'holes he puts up with now. ZIP! ZILTCH! NADDA! I doubt he even remembers who they were. Not sayiong he's my hero but you get my point.

Don't be afraid to be nerdy, or dorky, or a geek or what ever the label of the day is. You'll find that as you spend more time in school that like minded braniacs that actually give a crap will gravitate towards the same type classes. Kindered spirits so to speak. The lazies will take classes that read easiest on paper. You may also find that teachers get a little more excited about teaching when they think someone actually wants to learn something.

Nerdy is the common link between all of us boat turds too.

Somethings haven't changed either. At my school (back in the dark ages) we had a guy on the basketball team that was a coke dealer. He carried his 9mm into the locker room with him because he was afraid he would be shot coming out of the games. Nice neighborhood.

Phaleronic
07-01-2011, 04:58 AM
Why has this thread veered towards some advice given to a highshooler? We're on the cusp of a national collapse (we can't fund the government and the only measures that will work are spending cuts and higher taxes). I already give $5300 to the feds per year, and I'm willing to give more if the wealthy and corporations are taxed at the same ratio of income to taxation.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/gsp_newsrelease.htm

drwayne
07-01-2011, 06:56 AM
Last year I forfeited 32K in tax. That wasnt given freely,, it was taken from me screaming & kicking.
Im entitled to a govt serviceman's pension(62k).. because I lost my left leg and a few inside parts ( later when not in navy ), but I cannot collect because I choose to work ( and 62K doesnt allow good wine ).
As a pension avoider I get no benefits, no medical discounts, no housing, no utilities.. I have to pay and pay and pay for everything I have out of my own pocket..including the 2k5 of meds each month... the prosthetics .. the wheelchair .. no sick pay, no paid holidays, nada, zip.. and the bastards bleed taxation from my weatherbeaten carcass to support those too lazy to get up and do something for themselves... including the bloody overpaid politicians who couldnt see facts even if their solar powered arses led the way... how dare you garner a pay rise when your words breed turds...

From the outside looking in, US must reign in the war machine to reduce endless budget over-runs.

Us few hardworking folks are paying for the mismanagement of our countries.

Doc W

drwayne
07-01-2011, 07:18 AM
My son was telling me that he can buy marijuana at any time each school day. Not a fact I enjoy sharing.

Haha, omg.. (2006) my daughter told me she could buy really nice choc-chip cookies on fridays from a couple kids who normally aint that popular .. and they was really really really really tasty.. did I want one ?
No... so she ate the few, and went out to her gran's that night.
Never eaten choc-chip since..says the sugar rush damn near killed her.. have not suggested the secret ingredient got the better of her.

But what really peeves me.. is everywhere I look I see anti smoking legislation/posters/signs/packaging .. and broad media coverage that new age wonder medicines ( pills, potions, lotions, injections , surgery ) will cure us of everything from aids to zenophobia .....
And voila... this generation are horrified of smoking 'harmless' weed, but pop any pill knowing it will make them 'feel better' after their nip-tuck or botox shots.

sorry, a dad's rant, hey .

Anybody can, I know at least 3 people I could get it from, and that's just marijuana, booze is easier.
You'd be surprised how easy it is to hide stuff from your rents. I would know, I hide half of my boat stuff :D

haha I hide stuff from my daughter else she complains Im wasting her inheritance !

Darin Jordan
07-01-2011, 10:07 AM
From the outside looking in, US must reign in the war machine to reduce endless budget over-runs.

From an insider, looking out... I don't completely disagree, HOWEVER... pay a little now, or a LOT later, is how that would work out.

Everyone want's the US to stand down... UNTIL their is a crisis or disaster in the world. Then, we're blamed for not doing enough.

The media here doesn't help. Things I hear in the media concerning our military drive me crazy, because I KNOW most of it isn't true, or is only a very small protion of what they do. The general public, and certainly the WORLD public, doesn't have any idea what the US military does on a dialy basis to help this world, and the vast majority of it doesn't involve guns or warfare.

Flying Scotsman
07-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Interesting thread, my father tought me you make your own way in life and do not depend on others to help you out in a cash crunch problem. The world has gone to pot and Greece and other European countries are in dire trouble. Our goverments are all surviving on borrowed money....my dad would not be happy if he was alive today.

Douggie

T.S.Davis
07-01-2011, 01:33 PM
and corporations are taxed at the same ratio of income to taxation.

http://www.bea.gov/newsreleases/regional/gdp_state/gsp_newsrelease.htm

Inidividuals pay a higher "ratio" the more they make. They also spend a lot of money. Not just buying yachts. Usually the cost of running some business. Paying a diiferent rate never made any sense to me. Work hard, put in 60 hours a week+, hire a bunch of people maybe, put food on their tables too. Let's not forget all the taxes those employees pay. Those taxes don't get paid if rich guy doesn't pay them to perform some task. So go like mad, live a stress filled life, and die young. Be sure to make lots of money though.......so you can send even more in to the gov't. The rich guy doesn't cost the gov't more money. He makes money for the gov't by putting people to work. For that effort they want him to give a higher percentage of the rewards to "others"? Really Inspiring.

If "government" were a product you would buy at a store, when you asked the clerk how much and he said "how much you got?" you would walk right back out the door. Now if you were a corporation and you asked "how much to do business in the US?" and the answer is "how much you got?".........where do you suppose you're going to set up shop? Probably any where else.

Corporations write off everything. That's how they get around taxes. Same thing with the really rich. They're trying to find a way to avoid being punished for working hard and putting people to work. They're portrayed as corporate scum for it but honestly if I had to give 39.6% of my income to "others" I would likely be looking for deductions to my taxable income.

I liked Forbes flat rate idea. Only I want ZERO deductions for individuals or corporations. Everybody pays the same percentage. Something sane.

Steven Vaccaro
07-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Inidividuals pay a higher "ratio" the more they make. They also spend a lot of money. Not just buying yachts. Usually the cost of running some business. Paying a diiferent rate never made any sense to me. Work hard, put in 60 hours a week+, hire a bunch of people maybe, put food on their tables too. Let's not forget all the taxes those employees pay. Those taxes don't get paid if rich guy doesn't pay them to perform some task. So go like mad, live a stress filled life, and die young. Be sure t make lots of money though.......so you can send even more in to the gov't. The rich guy doesn't cost the gov't more money. He makes money for the gov't by putting people to work. For that effort they want him to give a higher percentage of the rewards to "others"? Really Inspiring.If "government" were a product you would buy at a store, when you asked the clerk how much and he said "how much you got?" you would walk right back out the door. Now if you were a corporation and you asked "how much to do business in the US?" and the answer is "how much you got?".........where do you suppose you're going to set up shop? Probably any where else. Corporations write off everything. That's how they get around taxes. Same thing with the really rich. They're trying to find a way to avoid being punished for working hard and putting people to work. They're portrayed as corporate scum for it but honestly if I had to give 39.6% of my income to "others" I would likely be looking for deductions to my taxable income.I liked Forbes flat rate idea. Only I want ZERO deductions for individuals or corporations. Everybody pays the same percentage. Something sane. well said. I can say I know quite a few of these people Obama calls "rich". With basic single family homes costing $300k around here and houses in good towns costing $600k, $250k gets eaten up pretty quick. Especially when you are paying the state and Feds take $90k right off the top. Then pay the town another 5-10k in real estate taxes. Most of these families have both parents working. The fall is near.

Peregrine
07-01-2011, 07:15 PM
We are living in a time of the lowest interest rates in nearly half a century, real estate prices have depressed more rapidly than at any time since WW 2. Foreclosures are at an all time high. Obama The Destroyer is well on his way to accomplishing his goal of destroying the U.S. economy and strapping us with more debt than the next 5 generations could ever pay.

If the interest rates were to climb to 6% or 7% as they very well should, our government would need to use 65%+ of its TOTAL income just to service its debt responsibilities. Leaving a whopping 20-some percent for everything else.

The government funds more lazy, do nothing, breed more children so they get more money losers than EVER. We now pay more in welfare then it used to cost to run the whole government!! So somebody explain to me why people on welfare can't be put to work to earn that money? Cleaning up our country, mowing public land, cleaning public buildings?

There is more Medicare / Medicaid fraud every year than the budget of some states! When we catch these thieves we can't get the money back they stole why?

Our government spent 900 Million on a stealth ship 5 years ago, now decided they don't need it, so they are scrapping it!! They spend nearly 1 BILLION per copy for aircraft that we need like we need a second *&^hole!!

When will it stop? Not until the Uber rich have stolen everything you own! Look to history, how many examples of deficit spending leading to hyper-inflation do we need before we learn? All I can say is, you might want to have some food and water socked away soon.

Steven Vaccaro
07-02-2011, 09:16 AM
The government funds more lazy, do nothing, breed more children so they get more money losers than EVER. We now pay more in welfare then it used to cost to run the whole government!! So somebody explain to me why people on welfare can't be put to work to earn that money? Cleaning up our country, mowing public land, cleaning public buildings?

I've been asking myself this for years.

drwayne
07-02-2011, 10:26 AM
We are living in a time of the lowest interest rates in nearly half a century, real estate prices have depressed more rapidly than at any time since WW 2. Foreclosures are at an all time high. Obama The Destroyer is well on his way to accomplishing his goal of destroying the U.S. economy and strapping us with more debt than the next 5 generations could ever pay.

Osama bin laden ... he traumatized America.
Obama's sin laden ...he traumatizes America
how ironic ....

sundog
07-03-2011, 04:01 PM
DrWayne, don't you live in Austrailia? Why are you dissing my President? - because it's the popular thing to do? We have our problems, but we'll come up with solutions. And they won't include you. Steven, you might interject here, this may get ugly.

drwayne
07-03-2011, 07:40 PM
DrWayne, don't you live in Austrailia? Why are you dissing my President? - because it's the popular thing to do? We have our problems, but we'll come up with solutions. And they won't include you. Steven, you might interject here, this may get ugly.

@Sundog, Im 45+, have logged 32 yrs living on/off in Au.

Correctly so, Americans generally take great pride contributing assistance to other countries with 'issues' , offering financial guidance, medical aid, education, diplomatic restructuring, and sometimes military support against common foes.
With astounding clarity the world now sees this great America crashing with issues, yet she closes her doors against countries of good standing who offer support and considered opinion.

Our global push for America to care for her own is ridiculed by your popular elected minority as 'financially irresponsible'..

Go figure.

Censoring the truth is a political thing, mate.

Wayne

Enjoy your thread, ppls !
Im going back to work.

Phaleronic
07-03-2011, 08:49 PM

I'm not keen on blaming one president or one party, but if it comes down to it I will blame both bushies and the hypocrisy of the republican party. "Recall the situation in 2003. The Bush administration was already projecting the largest deficit in American history--$475 billion in fiscal year 2004, according to the July 2003 mid-session budget review. But a big election was coming up that Bush and his party were desperately fearful of losing. So they decided to win it by buying the votes of America's seniors by giving them an expensive new program to pay for their prescription drugs. Recall, too, that Medicare was already broke in every meaningful sense of the term. According to the 2003 Medicare trustees report, spending for Medicare was projected to rise much more rapidly than the payroll tax as the baby boomers retired. Consequently, the rational thing for Congress to do would have been to find ways of cutting its costs. Instead, Republicans voted to vastly increase them--and the federal deficit--by $395 billion between 2004 and 2013."

If you read any economic journals you would understand that many of them believe that the stimulus package wasn't BIG enough, and that the only way to pull out of this economic sinkhole is to inject capital AND raise taxes, but this is incapable of happening with a republican party as a majority in the house (they refuse to raise taxes at all-especially on the wealthy).

ron1950
07-03-2011, 09:05 PM
obama says the millioneers and billioneers must pay more taxes......exceopt his plan starts at anyone makeing 200k a year....as soon as he learn a millioneer makes 1,000,000 dollars and not 200.000 dollars we may be better off......i dont care who is in charge why dont they just stop spending on any new porjects and go home for a year.......

Phaleronic
07-03-2011, 09:09 PM
It's a mess.

Of the $1.1 trillion in deficit savings that Obama is projecting over the next 10 years, two-thirds would come from spending cuts including $400 billion in savings from a five-year freeze on domestic programs that account for one-tenth of the budget. The other one-third of deficit savings would come from tax increases such as limiting the tax deductions taken by high income taxpayers, a proposal that Obama put forward last year only to have it rejected by Congress. Obama also proposes raising taxes on energy companies.
The president's projected $1.65 trillion deficit for the current year would be the highest dollar amount ever, surpassing the $1.41 trillion deficit hit in 2009. It would also represent 10.8 percent of the total economy, the highest level since the deficit stood at 21.5 percent of gross domestic product in 1945, reflecting heavy borrowing to fight World War II.

ray schrauwen
07-03-2011, 09:15 PM
Think thtas bad, look at this man!>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8T3QBJvLy0&feature=feedu

ray schrauwen
07-03-2011, 10:01 PM
It's a mess.

Yes it is but, I don't buy it that it was you and i the commoner's that caused this mess. I place blame on people like the Rockefeller's etc. that hide their trillions and whoever owns these: http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart/main

Phaleronic
07-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes it is but, I don't buy it that it was you and i the commoner's that caused this mess. I place blame on people like the Rockefeller's etc. that hide their trillions and whoever owns these: http://www.freepress.net/ownership/chart/main

I agree %100.

detox
07-03-2011, 11:34 PM

How did this lady get hired to begin with? Sounds like your hiring department also failed.

sundog
07-04-2011, 12:35 AM
@Sundog, Im 45+, have logged 32 yrs living on/off in Au.
With astounding clarity the world now sees this great America crashing with issues, yet she closes her doors against countries of good standing who offer support and considered opinion.

Our global push for America to care for her own is ridiculed by your popular elected minority as 'financially irresponsible'. Go figure. Censoring the truth is a political thing, mate.

Drwayne, I'm not sure what profound meaning you had in your response. I have been an American all my life (longer than your years). What I know is that we'll ask for help when we need it (and we're not asking, thank you). It doesn't sound like you offer support when you fan that fire. Obama has gotten a bad rap since his inauguration, but has done a lot of good for our country in his brief tenure. My personal financial situation has improved markedly since Babushki left office and Obama has been at the helm. Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. And sometimes you have to cut out the middle man and phantom loads. Sadly, there are still some deep set feelings of jealousy, bigotry and greed that we have been struggling to overcome. But we (no you in 'we') Americans can deal with it. Some things take time. I'm not censoring a thing 'mate', just letting you know that some here take offense in such babbling. As long as Obama is my Commander in Chief, I'll thank you to show a little respect (for him) and perhaps I won't lose mine.

BTW, "62K doesn't allow good wine"? Ha! You might get a better broker my friend. Or come to America for a visit, I'll show you some wonderful world class varieties that won't break your budget.

T.S.Davis
07-04-2011, 10:03 PM
Obviously the rich are the problem. Why not raise their taxes to 100%? That should teach em. AND! BONUS!! It will cure the deficit, global warming, welfare, world hunger, cancer, and will eliminate the color magenta. Do we really need that?

Sometimes I think the government IS the problem. Neither party can be trusted. What ever inspired each of them to become a public official dies long before they can be elected. By the time they get done lying about their opponents, cooking up deals with xyz, and selling their souls they have NO recollection what their own truth is. The injustice that made them want to be involved is forgotten.

You can't point to the rich and say "it's all their fault". You can't just blame the poor. Just like the rich, the few welfare recipients that are dirt bags abusing the system get all the spotlight. Those that actually do need help get to wear the label with the sleaze. The rich are the same. They're not all scum. It's mathematically impossible. It's a minority that are a blemish on humanity. But their outrageous behavior gets the front page. The truly generous are so without any expectation of accolades. They don't want or need an award. So you never even hear their names.

The only hope for the US......just a shred.....a shard.....a wisp of hope.....is if each of us, or hell even if it's just some of us, can look in the mirror and answer the question honestly "is it me?"

You may say I'm a dreamer. I hope I'm not the only one.

m4a1usr
07-05-2011, 03:32 AM

What is wrong with you? Your offended by the opinion from someone overseas who is making a comment about our nations leader? Wayne is not far off in accuracy in describing Obummer. His being a conservative is whats got a bug up your arse. He's got one leg, taking mucho med's to stay alive and he refuses to join their socialist government handouts to receive benefits, yet pays rediculous taxes to stay independant and not be a leech off his fellow countrymen.

My hats off to you Wayne. Stubborn to the end. And a proud RAN veteran. I welcome your opinion. If Sundog wants to demean you let him get his jollies pulling the wings off flies.

You want to get down in mud with a fellow American lets dig deep into the recent First Family traveling to Africa on Tax payer dollar to bolster relationship. Who the hell approves this sheet! How many homeless veterans would that 100 million plus dollars feed? Shelter? Retrain to get back into the work force? Instead we get evening TV about how freaking great Michele looks with Mandella (yeah I spell'd it that way!) The idiots are running the circus. It used to be the clowns, but they got evicted and left the retards behind! And we take it. No one calls this crap waste. Lets all feel good while the sink ships. Unfreak'n believable!

John

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Why is it everytime we talk about Obama in a negative why, we are classified as a bigots? At the cookout yesterday the conversation came up about the state of the economy and not one Obama supporter could come up with a "good" thing obama has done since his arrival. Can someone here please tell me one?

domwilson
07-05-2011, 09:40 AM
I'll admit, I wanted to see Obama make a difference. Never cared much for him. But was on the fence and said "Let's give him a chance." But the political in fighting, showboating, etc. have left a
sour taste in my mouth. Washington hasn't changed. Over bearing taxes, excessive waste and spending, and political grandstanding are all I see for the last 10 years. The only change I see now is what the government has let me keep in my pocket. Neither party can be trusted. Republicans want to kill us and the Democrats are killing us. Why is it that the same issues pop up every election
but nothing seems to get done when either party is elected?

sundog
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Why is it everytime we talk about Obama in a negative why, we are classified as a bigots? At the cookout yesterday the conversation came up about the state of the economy and not one Obama supporter could come up with a "good" thing obama has done since his arrival. Can someone here please tell me one?

Steven, I have a feeling there weren't many Obama supporters at your cookout.:cool2: National health care would be a big one - it is long overdue. I suspect you know there are many more, but I think some others here might spend their time picking them to pieces, so no need.

M4a1usr, if there is something 'wrong with me' for sticking up and defending the honor of our president, then you might take a good look at yourself, bud. To whine and complain to the choir accomplishes damn near nothing in the grand scheme of things, it just tends to get people heated up. I personally am sick of the AM talkies (conservatives) whining, bitching and complaining to each other, getting everybody else upset, as if that is some kind of fix or repair. I guess it makes one feel like you've done your part! It's pitiful, actually. The repulsicans voted out a group of lamers, voted in more and they're doing the same thing right now as we speak - the party of "NO". Don't touch my money! Not in my back yard! Not every welfare recipient wants it that way. We need to take care of our own. The good, the other, they are all Americans. Funny, the liberals don't need AM talkies to rile people up - liberals think along different lines and don't need prodding - they can see and think for themselves. Don't get me started. Use that (abundance of) energy in a progressive, positive way, not a negative way. We are here for each other - you are not an island. Don't ridicule me for being a proud American and having the gumption to stand up like a man and say so. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE, you can either fix it or leave. But don't sit there and piss and moan, it only serves to get everyone upset. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. Likewise, Drwayne.

:patriot:

domwilson
07-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Steven, I have a feeling there weren't many Obama supporters at your cookout.:cool2: National health care would be a big one - it is long overdue. I suspect you know there are many more, but I think some others here might spend their time picking them to pieces, so no need.

M4a1usr, if there is something 'wrong with me' for sticking up and defending the honor of our president, then you might take a good look at yourself, bud. To whine and complain to the choir accomplishes damn near nothing in the grand scheme of things, it just tends to get people heated up. I personally am sick of the AM talkies (conservatives) whining, bitching and complaining to each other, getting everybody else upset, as if that is some kind of fix or repair. I guess it makes one feel like you've done your part! It's pitiful, actually. The repulsicans voted out a group of lamers, voted in more and they're doing the same thing right now as we speak - the party of "NO". Don't touch my money! Not in my back yard! Not every welfare recipient wants it that way. We need to take care of our own. The good, the other, they are all Americans. Funny, the liberals don't need AM talkies to rile people up - liberals think along different lines and don't need prodding - they can see and think for themselves. Don't get me started. Use that (abundance of) energy in a progressive, positive way, not a negative way. We are here for each other - you are not an island. Don't ridicule me for being a proud American and having the gumption to stand up like a man and say so. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT HERE, you can either fix it or leave. But don't sit there and piss and moan, it only serves to get everyone upset. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem. Likewise, Drwayne.

There's nothing wrong with a little pride and patriotism.
I think that we as a people have become somewhat apathetic. We may moan and groan, but these "Elected Clowns" keep doing as they want, when they want and how they want. We don't have the organized protests of the 60's or 70's. Instead, our media sensationalizes everything and turns it into entertainment. Often hiding behind "Opinionated Editorial" to keep their butts out of legal hot water for skewing the truth. America doesn't like truth. We want sensationalism. We don't organize to keep our government in check. We moan and groan and complain that someone else should fix it.
We vote for more power hungry politicians who only serve their own personal interests and not the people's. But we keep going on believing that they will stop the craziness that goes on in Washington. We should organize a day where we stop partisipating in the nonsense. Write a letter. Call in sick. March on city hall. Do something besides griping.

domwilson
07-05-2011, 12:51 PM
P.S. When the media sensationalizes a story. Change the channel. Maybe the big Media companies will get a clue when their ratings plummet.
When I watch the news, that's what I want to see is the news. Not some jackhammer's opinions or conspiracies on why my egg salad sandwich spoils in the midday sun. But of course, that's Obamas fault...

bigwaveohs
07-05-2011, 01:21 PM

Steve,
I looked but I couldn't find those discounts on the website!
:confused2:
Bigwaveohs

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 01:23 PM
Steven, I have a feeling there weren't many Obama supporters at your cookout.:cool2:
You would be surprised. Everyone that wanted "change" from the previous administration. All they ended up with is another polititian that would say anything to get into the seat.

National health care would be a big one
That can be debated in another thread.

T.S.Davis
07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
DOM! Ya dreamer you! haha That makes two of us. Next you'll want us to be reponsible for our own actions.

Them, they, those guys........anybody but ME needs to straighten this crap out. That's the real American way.

I'm amazed when anyone is aligned lock step with either of the two major parties. They're criminals. Well......maybe not fair....how about a lot of them are criminals. Enough that to trust either party seems insane.

Obamas nationalized health care might not be the best example of his positive work. There are almost as many people against that as for it. I still would like someone to explain to me how student loans for college are health care.

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Steve,
I looked but I couldn't find those discounts on the website!
:confused2:
Bigwaveohs That quiz was for the a clerk position at the Jewelry Store.

domwilson
07-05-2011, 01:40 PM
If you or I were in deep debt and barely able to pay our bills, we'd more than likely lay out a budget and reduce our spending until we got caught up.
But our glorious government has the idea of borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

To put it another way...You have a relative who you lend money to. They might send you a gift around your birthday and Christmas. Meanwhile you're watching them spend money like crazy. Throwing parties, taking care of every person with a hard luck story. Now this relative has run up a colossal debt. They come back to you and tell you because they bought you a few birthday and Christmas gifts, that you should pay off their debt. Disregarding that you've been lending them money. And they haven't changed their spending habits. What would you tell that relative?

Explain to me how this is any different from the way our government is acting?

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 01:47 PM
If you or I were in deep debt and barely able to pay our bills, we'd more than likely lay out a budget and reduce our spending until we got caught up.
But our glorious government has the idea of borrowing from Peter to pay Paul.

To put it another way...You have a relative who you lend money to. They might send you a gift around your birthday and Christmas. Meanwhile you're watching them spend money like crazy. Throwing parties, taking care of every person with a hard luck story. Now this relative has run up a colossal debt. They come back to you and tell you because they bought you a few birthday and Christmas gifts, that you should pay off their debt. Disregarding that you've been lending them money. And they haven't changed their spending habits. What would you tell that relative?

Explain to me how this is any different from the way our government is acting?

I have a brother like that. Great guy, But at close to 30 years old, a baby and wife, he's still living off my dad paying his bills. Him and his wife are Obama supporters.

domwilson
07-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Interesting...I don't think it really matters who they support. These days, people tend to think of what benefits them the most rather than what is best for the greater good. It just depends on where you're at on the social economic ethically challenged game board.

m4a1usr
07-05-2011, 02:06 PM

Hey thats fair enough. I can live with that.

John

T.S.Davis
07-05-2011, 04:49 PM
"They come back to you and tell you because they bought you a few birthday and Christmas gifts, that you should pay off their debt."

HAHA If only it were that easy. I can tell that relative to pound sand. The government will take my money at gun point if I don't give it to them. They'll fund more of their waste with it.

Plus, if I've worked my a$$ off, saved my pennies, and lived within my means my whole life, then croak........a huge chunk of that effort goes to the gov. My family gets screwed.

Steve, if you pass on today does your brother get any assets that you've accumulated? Of course not. Will the govt? Yep. They'll just confiscate it if they have to. They will if you haven't made provisions to protect your family from them. The more you have the more of it they'll take. You know....cuz nobody should have that much. I guess.

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 05:02 PM
"They come back to you and tell you because they bought you a few birthday and Christmas gifts, that you should pay off their debt."

HAHA If only it were that easy. I can tell that relative to pound sand. The government will take my money at gun point if I don't give it to them. They'll fund more of their waste with it.

Plus, if I've worked my a$$ off, saved my pennies, and lived within my means my whole life, then croak........a huge chunk of that effort goes to the gov. My family gets screwed.

Steve, if you pass on today does your brother get any assets that you've accumulated? Of course not. Will the govt? Yep. They'll just confiscate it if they have to. They will if you haven't made provisions to protect your family from them. The more you have the more of it they'll take. You know....cuz nobody should have that much. I guess.

thankfully I've made sure to not let that happen. But I agree, the working class people are all prisoners of sorts. Don't do as you are told and pow, the fed rains down on you.

Does anyone have the data on the "true" unemployable percentage of people in the country?

sailr
07-05-2011, 06:51 PM

:iagree:

domwilson
07-05-2011, 07:08 PM
thankfully I've made sure to not let that happen. But I agree, the working class people are all prisoners of sorts. Don't do as you are told and pow, the fed rains down on you.

You are aware of what they call people who are prisoners and forced into labor?

domwilson
07-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Does anyone have the data on the "true" unemployable percentage of people in the country?

Here ya go... http://www.shadowstats.com/alternate_data/unemployment-charts

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 07:33 PM
You are aware of what they call people who are prisoners and forced into labor?Add up all the taxes and fees you pay each year to the gov. I'm paying close to 45%. Italian mobsters never demanded so much.

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 07:41 PM
" Funny, the liberals don't need AM talkies to rile people up - liberals think along different lines and don't need prodding - they can see and think for themselves. "That's funny. I think a bit different. I think the reason is a large majority just doesn't give a crap. They are too busy during the day watching tv while the working class has to listen to the radio.

domwilson
07-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Add up all the taxes and fees you pay each year to the gov. I'm paying close to 45%. Italian mobsters never demanded so much.

You forgot to mention sales taxes, gasoline taxes, liquor taxes, import taxes, luxury taxes, real estate taxes, etc. Heck here in Calif. you pay to breathe. Only those taxes are applied to the vehicles we drive. I think you are paying more.

m4a1usr
07-05-2011, 08:04 PM

Thats some pretty accurate data Dom. This past year I helped my youngest daughter (Graduating Senior) with several projects for her classes and they ranged from science to politics but one I very poignantly helped her with to drive home how serious the road or path to recovery had to do with actual unemployment levels. Not those purported to be accurate. That using data from the media might have some tinge of truth attached but that data from the fed was totaly useless because if failed to compensate for those who no longer qualified for any more benefits, or had fallen into part time work where they were not full time employed but got enough money to keep from starving. We arrived at a realistic number of apporximate 21%. Up 2% from 2009. She was truely mistified. She asked questions like why dont we hear more about this, why isnt the govt taking stronger actions, how can they be provide for their families. All tough questions to a 17 year old who hasnt been out in the work force yet.

Her report was touted as right wing by her classmates, her teacher gave her a C due to several deliberate questionable information resources. No I didnt use Fox news or some conservative spin media. We used the published information from each state and researched the statistical growth projections that each state uses to determine the next physical budget. And the historical numbers since 2004 that the fed publishes.

Needless to say my youngest saw the writing on the wall. Each adminstration puts out only enough information to provide the spin they need to stay ahead in the polls. Optimism to cover reality. Lies to project control. Doesnt matter the party. They tell you your thirsty, so you drink the sand. You'll feel better.

John

sundog
07-05-2011, 08:11 PM
" Funny, the liberals don't need AM talkies to rile people up - liberals think along different lines and don't need prodding - they can see and think for themselves. "That's funny. I think a bit different. I think the reason is a large majority just doesn't give a crap.

I disagree. Not (whining, complaining, nagging, crying and moaning) does not mean 'not caring'. That became evident three years ago. But the way those conservatives can carry on and get themselves and others all riled up is a waste of good intentions and energy. My opinion, of course.

Steven Vaccaro
07-05-2011, 08:15 PM

I didn't ask the correct question, I'm looking to find out the percentage of people that physically can not work. Either handicapped or for other reasons. I'm wondering if that group is getting larger?

drwayne
07-05-2011, 08:22 PM

:thumbup:

Proactive diatribe heralds fresh waves of enthusiasm and patriotism.
Im not 'taking the piss'.
Democracy fails national prosperity when proponents of high profit pledge succession to the larger demographic of lower income voters, knowing that the same promises of lifestyle improvements remain unfulfilled from elections past..

Accountability is to the voters.. whose hope for short term gain exceeds their long term memory.

If you dont like your backyard, grab a spade and start digging.

Wayne :whiteflag:

egneg
07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
I think we should all quit working and let this glorious government support us.

:sarcasm1:

Jacked1
07-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I think people on welfare should be sterilized or taken off welfare if they have children while on welfare.
Sales tax should be raised considerably (none on food) and income tax reduced considerably.

m4a1usr
07-05-2011, 09:05 PM
I didn't ask the correct question, I'm looking to find out the percentage of people that physically can not work. Either handicapped or for other reasons. I'm wondering if that group is getting larger?

The answer is yes. Actually H E double tooth picks yes. Go to the Social Secturity Web site and look under their FAQ section. There they have, amidst the questions, links to material that is appropriate to that question. Somewhere on that page you will find a link showing the growth of US citizens who applied for disability (and received)payments based upon application approval. It started back in the early 60's. The percentage jumped by leaps and bounds. In the 70's it got a little worse (percentage of growth) and it stayed sort of flat until the 90's. After that its been ever increasing and in the last 10 years it has skyrocketed to levels that cannot be sustaned.

Now remember. This money comes out of the Treasury to the social security adminstration. It doesnt come out of the SS taxes we pay. At least not from the collection fund. However,.......................... adminstration costs ARE shared. While the pots of money might be slightly of a different color fed employees who work to pay you what you payed in also pay the disabled. So there is a "blending" of money. Thats fact.

The gawd awefull truth is disabilty is becoming the fast track for those who have no other alternative in their ability to live. They have already used all of their state benefits, never worked enough (or ever) to have a retirement (whether privately funded or SS). This will be a monsterous hot potatoe for some future adminstration. And soon. The monies being paid are 100% funded by you and me. Its added to the national debt. Theres no funding allocated based on sustainabilty. Its just an expenditure added to our taxes.

The worse part is at the rate its growing there will have to be a day when the answer is no. You will starve. You will die. You qualify for nothing. The question is who wants to be the one making that statement to them?

John

domwilson
07-05-2011, 10:34 PM
It was asked before. What is the one thing that the government does well? I think we've found the answer. They lie. They divide the people with non-existent ideologies that they themselves don't adhere to except when it is election time. The republicans say they want smaller government but the government grew under their watch. The Democrats say they want more domestic
responsibility yet spending has gone out of control. Where were/are both parties concerning the national debt.? Where else? Grandstanding. Neither side is taking the debt seriously. So why should we?

sundog
07-05-2011, 11:46 PM
We at present are experiencing a civil war in congress. The spendy side has cut their spending, but still need to tax the uppercrust to make ends meet. The no-spendys won’t approve any plan that includes taxing the uppercrust, so stalemate. But this isn’t a game - if we can’t compromise a viable solution - and we wind up defaulting on foreign loans, it may have a domino effect felt around the world. And our lifestyle could change dramatically, and quickly. I would hope the uppercrust would agree to pay more to keep this from occurring. When the masses run out of necessities and hope, you may find yourself constantly watching over your shoulder. But then, the oil speculators are getting greedy and ballsy and (knowing we all require fuel), seem to care less. Maybe this is the trend.

T.S.Davis
07-06-2011, 08:46 AM
I would hope the uppercrust would agree to pay more to keep this from occurring.

But why would they agree to pay more? Let's say they feel that tug of generosity that most real humans do. Why on earth would they agree to send more money to the gov't? Our govt. has proven over and over and over again that it can't be trusted. They'll spend the extra to fly the first family to the moon or research cow farts. It's really frustrating. They could have a larger impact by going down town and helping homeless people hands on.

The upper crust already do pay more. Plus, the many they employ pay too. I realize you didn't exactly say this but the notion that the wealthy don't pay their "fair" share is maddening. What's "fair"? It always comes around to "what do they need that much money for?".....or....."they can afford it". Like ability to pay somehow makes it "fair".

Example.....20% of a $300,000 income is $60,000. Will the guy making that kind of coin receive $60,000 worth of services? Does he cost the govt 60k? Nope. What if he finds enough deductions to weasel his taxable and ends up down to 10%. Still $30,000. Lot's of people gross that per year. He gets $30,000 worth of services? nope He pays because he can not because it's "fair".

Another example. Same guy. Has a banner year. Pays his 10% of $500,000. Maybe he has 50 employees making $30,000 that pay 10% after deductions. We wont count any sales taxes or property tax or the myriad of other BS tax we pay. Just income. He and his company are sending $200,000 to the government. 200k because ambitious guy found a niche and put 50 people to work. The wealthy are evil.

I wonder how much money for the govt. a company like General Motors produces. Enough to fund a small country I'll bet.

ray schrauwen
07-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I wonder how much money for the govt. a company like General Motors produces. Enough to fund a small country I'll bet.

I bet they give nothing to the Gov. In fact I think they have been subsidized...

It ain't the people making $200,000, or 2 million. It's those with the 100's of billions & trillions I think most people are saying WTH? What do they need to hold onto all that for when it could eliminate poverty etc...

Let the $300,000 people be, they make America great!!!

sundog
07-06-2011, 09:31 AM
T.S. Davis - Yes, of course you're right - and your solution to this mess is....?

ray schrauwen
07-06-2011, 11:00 AM
The Quadrillion dollar question...

Steven Vaccaro
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
I would hope the uppercrust would agree to pay more to keep this from occurring.

Last time I checked this is OUR country. ALL of US, not just the "uppercrust". Why not have EVERYONE pay MORE? Why should 50% of the country pay NO Federal taxes? Go into a local convenient store in a poor area. They are stocked with cigarettes and scratch cards at the front counter. There is a reason for that, the front counter is where all the top selling items are kept. Last time I checked, in Massachusetts, a pack of cigarettes is about $9.00. I think they the half of the country that pays little to nothing should start to kick in.

Steven Vaccaro
07-06-2011, 12:23 PM
What do they need to hold onto all that for when it could eliminate poverty etc...

Are you serious Ray? Imagine if you inherited 100 million dollars, how would you like it if the gov said, you really dont need all of that. You should be able to get by on a 1/2 million or so. :doh:

T.S.Davis
07-06-2011, 12:48 PM
T.S. Davis - Yes, of course you're right - and your solution to this mess is....?

That's just it. I don't have one. Not a good one at least. I guess I'm just bitching. Part of the problem too.

The only thing I can think of that would actually be "fair" is a flat tax. There has to be something I'm missing though because that's too simple.

I mentioned this before. We need a mind set do over. We need to look in the mirror. The haves need to question if they are doing enough for their fellow man and the have nots need to ask how they can become independent. Somewhere in the middle is nirvana.

Flying Scotsman
07-06-2011, 01:11 PM
Lads, I hate to say it you are a great country but with CASH problems, can you fix it?...and are you willing to pay the piper?

Douggie

T.S.Davis
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I had the inheritance discussion with an extremely liberal relative about 10 years ago. She didn't think family should inherit ANY of their families wealth. Her argument was that "well, they didn't earn it". Years later her mother and her husbands mother both suffered from dementia. The care gobbled up their life savings in no time. They had to move them back home. I wonder how she feels now about inheritance and if families earn it now.

Come on Ray. You've been spouting on about the conspiracies for as long as I've known you. Do you really believe there are trillionaires in the states? If there were, how many peoples tables are filled with food that was paid for by jobs generated by the trillionaires? Stop think about some bucket of cash somewhere. That's not how it works. The truly diabolically rich got that way by being industrious, pooling resources, and investing in something with a return. Be it a business or 50 businesses.

The tax brackets go like this:

10% Bracket $0 – $8,500
15% Bracket $8,500 – $34,500
25% Bracket $34,500 – $83,600
28% Bracket $83,600 – $174,400
33% Bracket $174,400 – $379,150
35% Bracket $379,150+ $379,150+ $379,150+

That's married filing jointly I believe. How does the family making $379,151 cost our gov. $7583 more than the family making $379,149 dollars? They sure do pay that. The family that has that kind of income uses/receives not a single benefit from all of the social programs they are funding. They wont be collecting unemployment...ever. Not likely any medicaid or even medicare.

I'm not suggesting the wealthy (the govs def 379k) should not have to pay. But why do they pay so much? 379k guy pays $12507 and $34500 guy pays $5175. 379k guy receives no benefits from the gov at all. He's not buying more product. He doesn't cost the gov more money by being successful. He's paying more because he can and because if he doesn't he'll be locked up. Charity at gun point is robbery.

Sorry about the rant guys. Lunch and I type fast. :blah: I hope you all know this is a friendly discussion and I mean no disrespect to any of you.

domwilson
07-06-2011, 01:24 PM
It would be nice if some of the people and corporations would pay taxes instead of receiving subsidies. This happens at both ends of the economic
spectrum. There are people, most of them in fact, who need assistance and go out of their way to be productive. For some reason, some tend to focus on the small number of "free loaders" who abuse the system. But the costs are minimal in comparison to corporate "freeloaders" who pay little to no taxes or receive subsidies. Then they boldly report record profits. So why are they still getting subsidies? Let's not focus on which end of the economic spectrum some may be. Let's focus on the abusers of the system. Make sure they pay and not drain our financial resources.

Darin Jordan
07-06-2011, 01:26 PM
Lads, I hate to say it you are a great country but with CASH problems, can you fix it?...and are you willing to pay the piper?

Douggie

We can't fix it if we continue having a morons in DC spending $278,000 per new job being created... and spending like drunken sailors on things that don't contribute to a healthy economy...

Steven Vaccaro
07-06-2011, 04:50 PM
379k guy pays $12507 and $34500 guy pays $5175.

the 379k guy pays close to $130,000 in fed taxes, not to mention if his state has an income tax.

domwilson
07-06-2011, 05:16 PM
the 379k guy pays close to $130,000 in fed taxes, not to mention if his state has an income tax.

Man! My job really, really, really sucks!!! But at least I have one.

Darin Jordan
07-06-2011, 05:27 PM

Douggie

I also don't believe for a minute that we have a "CASH" problem... we have a spending problem, and an accountability problem... Everyone want's something for nothin'...

ray schrauwen
07-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Come on Ray. You've been spouting on about the conspiracies for as long as I've known you. Do you really believe there are trillionaires in the states? If there were, how many peoples tables are filled with food that was paid for by jobs generated by the trillionaires? Stop think about some bucket of cash somewhere. That's not how it works. The truly diabolically rich got that way by being industrious, pooling resources, and investing in something with a return. Be it a business or 50 businesses.

Terry, I try to stay out of politics but, yes I do believe that there are Trillionaires in th midst of all of us. The spend next to nothing.

Yes, they have contributed to jobs for people but, on the backs of how many dead people, by destroying how much of the envioronment, etc...?

Please refrain from the derogatory remark 'conspiracies'. It really isn't fair. :tongue_smilie::tt2:

I think there are a greater amount of stories on the news everyday that come closer to 'conspiracies' than what I jive about.

David Rockefeller has hidden his real wealth for decades. They have stolen from so many people its ridiculous. Yeah, they created some jobs along the way... Does it augment the damage they have done to the world and society? No, not imo.

domwilson
07-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Terry, I try to stay out of politics but, yes I do believe that there are Trillionaires in th midst of all of us. The spend next to nothing.

Yes, they have contributed to jobs for people but, on the backs of how many dead people, by destroying how much of the envioronment, etc...?

Please refrain from the derogatory remark 'conspiracies'. It really isn't fair. :tongue_smilie::tt2:

I think there are a greater amount of stories on the news everyday that come closer to 'conspiracies' than what I jive about.

David Rockefeller has hidden his real wealth for decades. They have stolen from so many people its ridiculous. Yeah, they created some jobs along the way... Does it augment the damage they have done to the world and society? No, not imo.

But BP created jobs with that spill!:sarcasm1:

Steven Vaccaro
07-07-2011, 06:52 AM
I got this email from a friend yesterday. Seems like a fair deal.

Dear American liberals, leftists, social progressives, socialists, Marxists and Obama
supporters, et al:
We have stuck together since the late 1950's for the sake of the kids, but the whole of
this latest election process has made me realize that I want a divorce. I know we
tolerated each other for many years for the sake of future generations, but sadly, this
relationship has clearly run its course.

Our two ideological sides of America cannot and will not ever agree on what is right for
us all, so let's just end it on friendly terms. We can smile and chalk it up to
irreconcilable differences and go our own way.

Here is a model separation agreement:
--Our two groups can equitably divide up the country by landmass each taking a similar
portion. That will be the difficult part, but I am sure our two sides can come to a
friendly agreement. After that, it should be relatively easy! Our respective
representatives can effortlessly divide other assets since both sides have such distinct
and disparate tastes.

--We don't like re-distributive taxes so you can keep them.
--You are welcome to the liberal judges and the ACLU.
--Since you hate guns and war, we'll take our firearms, the cops, the NRA and the
military.
--We'll take the nasty, smelly oil industry and you can go with wind, solar and biodiesel.
--You can keep Oprah, Michael Moore and Rosie O'Donnell. You are, however, responsible for
finding a bio-diesel vehicle big enough to move all three of them.

--We'll keep capitalism, greedy corporations, pharmaceutical companies, Wal-Mart and Wall
Street.
--You can have your beloved lifelong welfare dwellers, food stamps, homeless, homeboys,
hippies, druggies and illegal aliens.
--We'll keep the hot Alaskan hockey moms, greedy CEO's and rednecks.
--We'll keep the Bibles and give you NBC and Hollywood .

--You can make nice with Iran and Palestine and we'll retain the right to invade and
hammer places that threaten us.
--You can have the peaceniks and war protesters. When our allies or our way of life are
under assault, we'll help provide them security.

--We'll keep our Judeo-Christian values.
--You are welcome to Islam, Scientology, Humanism, political correctness and Shirley
McClane. You can also have the U.N. but we will no longer be paying the bill.

--We'll keep the SUV's, pickup trucks and oversized luxury cars. You can take every Volt
and Leaf you can find.
--You can give everyone healthcare if you can find any practicing doctors.
--We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right.
--We'll keep "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" and "The National Anthem."
--I'm sure you'll be happy to substitute "Imagine", "I'd Like to Teach the World to
Sing", "Kum Ba Ya" or "We Are the World".

--We'll practice trickle down economics and you can continue to give trickle up poverty
your best shot.

--Since it often so offends you, we'll keep our history, our name and our flag.

Would you agree to this? If so, please pass it along to other like-minded liberal and
conservative patriots and if you do not agree, just hit delete. In the spirit of friendly
parting, I'll bet you answer which one of us will need whose help in 15 years.

Sincerely,
John J. Wall
Law Student and an American

P.S. Also, please take Ted Turner, Sean Penn, Martin Sheen, Barbara Streisand, & Jane
Fonda with you.

P.S.S. And you won't have to press 1 for English when you call our country.

Rumdog
07-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Love the right wing bigotry. If you can't see it there, you're blind. Sounds like a deal I'd take though!

T.S.Davis
07-07-2011, 08:21 AM

How in the heck did I miss it by that much?!? I wasn't even close. Ugh. See our education system is shot too. 130000 makes my point even better. That guy can afford it so it must be "fair". 130k is a couple years salary for Joe every day middle class dude.

On another note along the same lines. Does anyone know how the gov. "creates" jobs? Are they going to start making widgets? I'm so ignorant to this process. Road construction? It's clearly not been spent on education (see my math above).

All kinds of buzz phrases like "invest in our future" but what the heck does that mean? Are we taking tax money and subsidizing what ever industry the gov decides is a good idea. Again, with their track record we're going to trust them to pick a good product to invest in? Makes no sense at all to me.

Steven Vaccaro
07-07-2011, 10:48 AM
Love the right wing bigotry.

Na :w00t:

Steven Vaccaro
07-07-2011, 11:01 AM
Terry dont sweat it. The number really doesn't matter anyways, since the guy making $379K can clearly live off much less. He should just give his entire earnings to the gov.

I has a similar debate with this wonderful (and I mean it) fully left learning women this past winter. She explained to me that she loved Germany and we should be paying more taxes so we can be more like them. Her husband is a well to do exec, and she said, she could afford to make that sacrifice. I put her on the spot, when I asked how much she had given to charities last year. It took a while for her to make some number up. But it wasn't much. Then I asked if she checked the little "voluntary" tax box on her income taxes to pay more. Answer was no. Everyone wants someone else to pay more. Its time for people to stand up and take care of their own families.

tdonnellyem
07-07-2011, 11:09 AM
i have always like this explanation of redistribution of wealth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz2p4EQtEXs

Steven Vaccaro
07-07-2011, 11:21 AM
i have always like this explanation of redistribution of wealth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pz2p4EQtEXs

I like it.

Flying Scotsman
07-07-2011, 11:37 AM
Another civil war fought on twitter, facebook and other internet media....this could be interesting!

Douggie

Steven Vaccaro
07-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Another civil war fought on twitter, facebook and other internet media....this could be interesting!

Douggie

Just good old fashioned debate. In the end, we will be right where we started.

domwilson
07-07-2011, 12:30 PM
It would be nice if some in Washington would break from their party's ideologies and start doing what's right for a change. I think sticking to any one ideology limits the number of possible or correct solutions.

G1ST
07-07-2011, 01:04 PM
It would be nice if some in Washington would break from their party's ideologies and start doing what's right for a change. I think sticking to any one ideology limits the number of possible or correct solutions.

It would be nice but it will never happen. They are always campaigning for their next election.

m4a1usr
07-07-2011, 04:06 PM
How in the heck did I miss it by that much?!? I wasn't even close. Ugh. See our education system is shot too. 130000 makes my point even better. That guy can afford it so it must be "fair". 130k is a couple years salary for Joe every day middle class dude.

On another note along the same lines. Does anyone know how the gov. "creates" jobs? Are they going to start making widgets? I'm so ignorant to this process. Road construction? It's clearly not been spent on education (see my math above).

All kinds of buzz phrases like "invest in our future" but what the heck does that mean? Are we taking tax money and subsidizing what ever industry the gov decides is a good idea. Again, with their track record we're going to trust them to pick a good product to invest in? Makes no sense at all to me.

Here is a glimpse at what is being touted as the jobs fix in a bid to recovery. http://www.miller-mccune.com/politics/loans-based-on-merit-not-clout-29468/

John

domwilson
07-07-2011, 04:10 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

GP73
07-07-2011, 05:02 PM
--You can have your beloved lifelong welfare dwellers, food stamps, homeless, homeboys,
hippies, druggies and illegal aliens.
--We'll continue to believe healthcare is a luxury and not a right.

I'm wondering what would be the plan for those people that fell ill and spent all they had to cure themselves? Since they are now poor should they move out of the country? Or should they leave the money as inheritance for their relatives and die as soon as possible?

BTW, I kinda like the plan, I think North America should be split vertically, we can call one side Canada :canada: and the other U.S.A. :patriot: :roflol:

I'm ready to buy my property in Florida whenever you guys are done moving out. :biggrin: :beerchug:

Steven Vaccaro
07-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Here is a glimpse at what is being touted as the jobs fix in a bid to recovery. http://www.miller-mccune.com/politics/loans-based-on-merit-not-clout-29468/John Great another bank!!!

m4a1usr
07-08-2011, 03:55 PM
Great another bank!!!

And its actually worse news when you dig deep into Kerry's plan. He wants Congress to have the power to oversee its operation. Like that makes sense. Can you S-P-E-L-L pet perk projects? Oh no. That would never happen.

On the other hand it could be setup just like our US Treasury that controls our money and debt but is owned by private banks. Then they could make sure their profits wouldnt be as small. I bet big business would love to see Kerry's plan come about. Can you imagine them controlling the very thing that keeps us functioning as a nation. I bet the Government owned Hydro/ Electric Dams would end up being in corporate hands lickity split! Not to mention our National Parks, oh gawd the list goes on.

John