PDA

View Full Version : Spectrum Receiver Questions

M.M.
06-24-2011, 03:12 AM
Okay so I have a pro boat 2.4 ghz system, with a spectrum mr3000. I know that with most 2.4 systems you do not need an external antenna. But I noticed on this receiver there are two antennas, and one is longer than the other. So I am just wondering if one of these antennas is supposed to be outside the hull??

Darin Jordan
06-24-2011, 08:31 AM
The long antenna goes outside the hull... The shorter one gets layed inside the hull.

dag-nabit
06-24-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm running MR3000 receivers in two SV27's, and in two Spartans, all 4 with both antennas installed inside the hull.

This may not be the preferred configuration, but it is working well in these boats. If we are losing any reception range, it is well outside the distance we want to run the boats. i.e. we can get far enough away it is difficult to see how the boat is reacting to water conditions, etc.

Mount the antennas above the water line, and keep them separated.

I'm also running an MR3000 in a Genesis hull with the long antenna mounted external and the short antenna mounted internal. I am not noticing any difference in reception reliability or distance between the different setup configurations, for the type of running we are doing .

Individual results can vary so function test your range before running, regardless of what configuration you choose to try.

Kevin

Derrick Davis
06-24-2011, 12:12 PM
I just ordered the DX3S through Horizon a couple nights ago and hope to receive it next week sometime. Although I don't race competitively (yet), I'm looking forward to the telemetry! Darin - Do you see any problem with me applying a ZAGG screen protector to the LCD screen on the radio?
People use the ZAGG screen protector products on their smart phones. With all the good reviews I've read on this radio, I have seen a few comments about how easily the screen and the bottom of the radio can be scratched. Understandable. I plan to protect these areas the moment I take it out of the box!
Thanks for your input!

P.S. I just realized I probably should have started a thread called Spectrum Radio
Also, I will welcome anybodies input. :smile:

M.M.
06-24-2011, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys, that's what I was thinking with the longer antenna out of the hull. Thanks! ;)