PDA

View Full Version : Flex cable rotation terminology question

Rgrove
06-22-2011, 03:27 PM
Hi guys, quick question...
So i dropped out one of the flex/drive cables from the port motor on my ekos (its just gone, with the prop, drive dog, etc...not sure how...).
But i got a pair of new frive cables, but the notes on rotation are unclear. It shows which one is left hand rotation and which is right hand rotation. But is right hand clockwise, left hand counter clockwise? And is that looking at the boat from the back? When i look at the remaining shaft on the startboard motor, it is wound contrary to what the directions show for the replacement cable, so im not sure if they were put in wrong from the factory or if im reading something wrong?
So far pretty happy w the boat...nice and stable, but my supervee 27 is faster...have to fix that over time!
Thanks for any help....i need to know to put it back together, but dont want to end up with binding flex cables!

Jeff Wohlt
06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
Grab the stub with your left hand and the cable with your right. Turn the cable with your left hand CC while you place your fingernail from your right hand on the cable and turn ...if it is LH cable it will move your finger nail from the right hand down to the end of the cable. If your nail goes up the cable it is a right hand cable...hope that helps...maybe I need to do a video.

bill1473
06-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Send them back and buy wire drives

Rgrove
06-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Grab the stub with your left hand and the cable with your right. Turn the cable with your left hand CC while you place your fingernail from your right hand on the cable and turn ...if it is LH cable it will move your finger nail from the right hand down to the end of the cable. If your nail goes up the cable it is a right hand cable...hope that helps...maybe I need to do a video.
Thank you for the reply! I need clarification please, counterclockwise looking at it how? If im holding the cable in front of me, left to right, is cc with the top of the cable goingtowardsme? Or away? And when you say move yourfinger to the end of the cable, is that the raw end or the end with thestub?
Thanks!

Rgrove
06-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Send them back and buy wire drives

Hey, im new here...is there a button i can hit to nominate "most helpful post of the year?"... I dont see it....

Jeff Wohlt
06-22-2011, 11:10 PM
LOL...yes, stub away from you and raw end to you. Horizontal. Turn the stub to the LEFT which is CC. Your other hand with your finger nail on the raw end.

Sorry...kinda of hard to explain.

Rgrove
06-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Jeff, thx for the clarification, ill give it a shot. Also, is it true you should leave close to a cable width gap between drive dog and strut? Seems like a lot!
Thx again