PDA

View Full Version : So fustrated right now with this Stuffing tube spinning!!!! PLEASE HELP!

mtnbiker94
06-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Today i got back to my house and all i wanted to do was run my spartan in the small canal behind our beach house. Last time I ran it, since its salt water, I took out the flex shaft, cleaned it all up and lubed it and put it back in. Now when i went to run it the stuffing tube was spinning inside the brass tube. It look pretty old, and well used and since i had a new stuffing tube and flex cable I figured I'd throw it in real quick and it'd run fine....needless to say that wasn't the case :cursing: So I tried flippin around the brass tube both with the bend at the top and bottom because I wasn't sure which way it went. I tried spinning it to get the alignment just right. I tried torquing the crap out of the holder, in hopes of it holding the liner so it wouldn't spin. Nothing worked and I'm really bummed I can't run my spartan! :help:

I'm only at the beach for a week so im just looking to fix the problem with what I have, and then once I get home I'll get an upgraded one so this will never happen again!!!!

Thanks in advance guys!

dag-nabit
06-21-2011, 08:23 PM
I'm going to post some details in my thread "finally got to run my Spartan" but try running without the liner.

I tried it today after cooking the beejeezees out of my stuffing tube and twisting up another drive cable. (again)

It is a different boat running without the liner. Accelerates quicker and may be more stable. I can't confirm the stability part just yet because the water was too rough to run WOT for more than a second or two at a time, but I saw some evidence the torque roll and chine walk were less evident with the liner removed.

Grease the flex shaft up good and give it a go.

Worst case is over time you may wear through the stuffing tube, but it is cheap and easy to replace.

Kevin

mtnbiker94
06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
So run just the brass tube without the liner? Won't it rub on the brass and make a bad sound?

Rcforever27
06-21-2011, 09:25 PM
Your right Kevin, I'm running jeffs .187 cable and no liner and pit 3 runs through her and except fir a little discoloration, no issues, and I'm talking minor heat, so far..... I'm really starting to believe the liners are more trouble than their worth... At least with a bigger diameter cable i'n the brass tube. Not sure about the stock cable if it's a good idea. More of a possibility of it twisting flexing too much?

dag-nabit
06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
So run just the brass tube without the liner? Won't it rub on the brass and make a bad sound?

No, not if you keep it properly greased. Our SV27's have no liners in them and we have three seasons on them without a single drive line issue.

Kevin

Rcforever27
06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
That's awesome! Yeah i hear ya..... Gonna see how long mine lasts this way ... Not even gonna look for a liner....

mtnbiker94
06-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Hmmmm, soo where can i get one of jeffs .187 flex shafts? :) Sounds like that will fix my problems..hopefully!

dana
06-21-2011, 10:18 PM
the liner spins...yeah and...? mine do, but whats the problem? :confused2:

Rcforever27
06-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Www.wholtsrcboats.com look under Spartan.... He also has .150 cable that can be used with the liner or if you go with the .187 cable (recommended) IMO, you leave the liner out. You just have to make sure you grease after EVERY RUN OR everytime you bring it home and let it sit for the next time out to the lake.... Just make sure you use grim racer or any boat drive line grease as it's supposed to guard better from the water... Good luck! Keep us posted! You'll also have to get a motor to flex cable adapter as his .187 cable won't fit the stock coupler . Mine is from ose and it's a .187 for the cable and a 5mm motor end . The traxxas motor i think is a different size shaft . Hopefully someone will comment with the suze of the stock shaft. That's all you need to get. Cable/ and motor / cable coupler.... Good luck!

Rcforever27
06-21-2011, 10:25 PM
@ Dana , i never really saw mine spin for the one run that i did with the stock esc/ motor . But I'm assuming it will spin especially under a higher load as the flex cable expands. My only thought or concern would be more heat ? I might be wring and or it nay not be enough heat to even matter.... No worries tho those are cheap to replace....

GeoVW72
06-21-2011, 10:35 PM
www.rcraceboat.com (http://www.rcraceboat.com/Storewiredrive.html)
Jeff's cables are hands down better than the stock one.

dana: with standard components it's fine, but the stock 2 pole is at it's limit with the stock prop and can't take any extra load.

The stock brass also isn't great, for some reason it's smaller ID than standard 1/4" K&S.
With K&S it's ok, you can also set the liner in the brass with CA/super glue to completely stop it from spinning.

Rcforever27
06-21-2011, 10:38 PM
Is that a bad thing if it spins? Will it break apart?

dana
06-21-2011, 10:45 PM
mine spin, not all the time tho, usually after i grease they will spin a little cause the grease is somewhat sticky, after getting wet and warming up it stops. if anything the liner keeps things cool, take the liner out and you have brass to flexshaft direct contact, now that creates heat, especially if you dont grease every time. personally i say leave the liner in and run the thing.

dana
06-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Is that a bad thing if it spins? Will it break apart?

nope. its fine and normal

mtnbiker94
06-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Well when mine was spinning it was causing lots of friction, so it was heating up and it sounded pretty bad, so i didn't even run it. The weird thing is, everything was fine, until i cleaned it up the other day. I pulled the cable, lubed it and everything, and moved the strut to clean up some of the grease that sprayed out. Then today when i went to run it, it was spinning and making bad noises. So i put in a whole new drive line-brass tubing, line and cable. And for some reason it still did the exact same thing.

I'll try running it tomorrow with the stock cable with no liner and see how that does. All I want to do is run my boat!!

mtnbiker94
06-21-2011, 11:03 PM
I see on Jeff's website, that under the Spartan section it says wire drives coming soon. How do wire drives work? Just the brass tube? Seems like that would be a lot better then the flex cable for the spartan?

martin
06-22-2011, 03:47 AM
If you want to stop the liners spinning wrap some ptfe tape ( plumbers tape ) around the outside of the liner in a few places along the liner. You wrap it to oversize as this stuff compresses quite well when you put it back in the brass tube. When you put it back in twist the liner in the direction the tape is wound on as it goes in easier & the liner is tight in the brass tube but you can still remove it. Martin.