PDA

View Full Version : Loading (ish) a 4 blade?

Boaterguy
06-20-2011, 10:55 PM
I was thinking about 4 blade props and had an idea
I know loading props is bad and not good for the motor, but what if a 4 blade had two of the blades cut down to a small diameter, it wouldn't push much water, but with a low pitch small diam blade it might help with bite.
That being said, a loaded 4 blade would help actually keep the rev's and load even, it would be digging where the 2 blade would have no blade in the water
Thoughts?

Fluid
06-20-2011, 11:09 PM
You can try to reinvent the wheel if you want, but it will be a waste of time. Two-bladed props are proven fastest on most FE boats, although some have luck with 3-bladed props. These latter were usually chosen to reduce prop walk and torque rather than for speed. Most SAW records are held by 2-bladed props - gas, nitro and FE.

Better to spend your time learning how to cut and bend 2-bladed props. You will be ahead of most guys who only buy stock props, maybe sharpened and polished ones. But it's your time....

Boaterguy
06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
I guess stick with what's proven is better. If I have the time and money i'll try it out and see what I get, might as well, it would look pretty neat to have two little barbs on your prop.
I'm not saying to use all four blades, but a 50mm prop would have small, 10mm blades (radius).

Jeepers
06-23-2011, 10:38 PM
When CMDI was CNC cutting props I bought a couple of 4 blade props to try, the 2 times I got them to work on one of my hydro's it was a pig (a smaller 2 blade prop ran faster) and had soooo much lift that the boat hopped violently in the rear. It was so difficult to get the boat on plane even with my dad hand launching the boat as hard as he could that I just gave up on trying them.