PDA

View Full Version : Just got my HW 180 and need alittle help

hyp7
06-20-2011, 08:11 PM
Here goes, I have a used Ul-1 that didnt come with an esc and was told to get the hobbywing 180 would be a good esc. So I bought one and the programming box. I would like to run 4s. I could use a little help in setting it up. Is it better to run 1-4s or 2-2s in series. The boat has a stock motor and hardware. I would like to use reverse if I could. I did test the boat with a brushless slash on 2s, I did get it to plane and go but was kinda slow. I dont race so this is just for play. Im new to boats but not rc, I race a losi 8e with a castle mamba on 5s and kinda know electric but there seams alot more to boats and dont want to mess anything up.
Any help would be great.
Thanks Hyp

dana
06-20-2011, 08:22 PM
two 2s will be fine. 4s packs dont fit in the ul-1 unless its been cut up anyways

Alexgar
06-20-2011, 08:26 PM
Also fitting the esc is gonna be tight it's a little tall I opted for a swordfish 120

dana
06-20-2011, 08:29 PM
Also fitting the esc is gonna be tight it's a little tall I opted for a swordfish 120

i agree. or even a seaking 120

hyp7
06-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Problem is I just bought the 180esc.

skellyo
06-21-2011, 03:55 PM
2 x 2S and DO NOT use reverse

electric
06-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Hmmm.. Yes two 2s batteries are "normal" for a UL-1. That is what the boat is set up to run. You will find it to be very fast if you are new to all of this. So figure out where you are going in your head in advance of pulling in the trigger and be in a big body of water. Chuckle. Remember always think turn right, imagine a clockwise circle with some straights in between.

Do not expect left turns to do much at all. You will be thrilled if you have never driven a boat like this before. Just give yourself a lot a room, a lot of them get run ashore on their first day because of the speed.

As long as the 180 will fit, I think it will, it will have no problem dealing with your setup and be very reliable. I would recommend you turn the LVC(low voltage cutoff) to "off". The 180's seem to have problems with this. The newer ones may be better, but the two I have are "off".

Why not use reverse skello? I think I have used reverse on mine a few times just as the boat is drifting into shore, but not that often. Did it cause you an issue?

skellyo
06-21-2011, 04:16 PM
Why not use reverse skello? I think I have used reverse on mine a few times just as the boat is drifting into shore, but not that often. Did it cause you an issue?

All it takes is one bump too hard on the throttle in reverse there goes the flex.

electric
06-21-2011, 04:21 PM
All it takes is one bump too hard on the throttle in reverse there goes the flex.

I have never had that happen, but that makes sense to me. Sure is possible. I seldom use reverse so that's probably why I never have experienced that. Which is surprising since I usually figure out new ways to destroy my boats on a somewhat regular basis...

hyp7
06-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Good info to know. Will I need to program the esc first? The instructions are kinda lame and state if u change some things you can never change them back. I read somewhere on here that a guy was programming his and lost the Bec and couldn't get it to work again.

Flying Scotsman
06-21-2011, 05:23 PM
I am not familiar with that ESC, but once you have all your goodies installed then program the ESC and if that ESC has a programing card, purchase it. I have never heard of a program value you can not change.

Douggie

hyp7
06-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Its a seaking 180 and I got the program card also

electric
06-21-2011, 05:42 PM
It will work fine with the card. You will not be unable to un-program anything. I have two of these 180's and I have used them a lot. Many others on this forum use them all the time to. No worries. Just set it up and go. That BEC problem was not because of programming. As I recall, the first version of these t180's were having problems with the BEC's failing after a short time. I belive that problem was pretty much taken care of with the "version 2" of these esc's because I have not heard about the issue much anymore.

Flying Scotsman
06-21-2011, 06:17 PM
You have to be kidding, once the parameters are set you can not change them???

Douggie

hyp7
06-21-2011, 06:29 PM
I read where a guy lost his bec while programming. I did some more reading of the instructions and they are referring to the sequences. Also states you can reset the esc back to default. Sorry for jumping the gun.
Thanks for all the help and info.