PDA

View Full Version : Port sponson lifting on hydro?

Andris Golts
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Hi all finally got my 16'' hydro wet set up 3550kv on 2s 2100mah lipo x430 prop lipo pushed as far forward in bow as possible at full speed noticed the port side sponson lifting out of the water repositioned the lipo to the hulls port side a had a bit of improvement but port sponson still had a bit off lift where i had to throttle back . What else can i try to eliminate port sponson lifting out of the water? Regards Andris Golts.

NativePaul
06-20-2011, 05:40 PM
on the straight or in the turns? which side of the transom is your rudder on? if its on the right side you could try angling the bottom of the rudder back a little bit which will drop the left sponson in the turns.

Kris Flynn
06-20-2011, 06:00 PM
your turn fin could be sucking the right sponson down, pulling the left up

wparsons
06-20-2011, 06:08 PM
And if it doesn't have a turn fin, how sharp is your prop?

Andris Golts
06-20-2011, 08:24 PM
Hi native Paul the port sponson lifts on the straight aways and holds pretty good in the turns. The rudder is mounted also on the port side of the transom thanks again. Regards Andris Golts.

NativePaul
06-21-2011, 04:09 AM
It sounds like it could be turn fin misalignment as mentioned above, I assume your tun fin is on the starboard sponson for clockwise ovals, are you running a curved or bent turn fin, if so angeling the bottom of it forwards slightly will reduce the amount its pulling down on the straights and should even out your sponsons.

wparsons
06-21-2011, 07:33 AM
This could be the exception, but I haven't seen any 15-16" hydros with turn fins at all, I know the minicat (tenshock) ones don't and neither do the "small bolt"'s.

Andris Golts
06-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Hi native Paul the turn fin is mounted on the starboard sponson transom protrudes about 1 3/8 '' below the sponson bottom and is canted inward about 8 degrees looking at the hull from the transom towards the bow the turn fin bracket is adjustable to increase or decrease angle of the turn fin cant as per the Hydromite drawings. As also mentioned the Minicat does not use a turn fin but i also think the drive line is offset on the Minicat while my hydromite the drive line runs down the center off the hull. What should be my first turn fin adjustment? Regards Andris Golts.

NativePaul
06-21-2011, 08:16 PM
of its canted from the top rather than bent angling the bottom forwards like i suggested wont do anything, it may be the case that the turn fin is not quite parallel with the centerline of the boat, the back edge of it could be a little further to the left than the front edge, check it with a long straight edge held against one side of it, and tweak the bracket to make it parallel if it isn't already. is your rudder straight or did you have to apply trim on your maiden run? i would expect you to have dialed in some left trim on the rudder if your turn fin is out of alignment with the rear further to the left than the front.

Andris Golts
06-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks to all for the sugestions the problem was a misaligned turn fin that required 1/64'' aluminum shim behind the turn fin bracket. Regards Andris Golts.