PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Castle Creations?

keithbradley
06-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Im looking for some help with my ICE 120HV controller. I have two of them in a 37" cat hull and tried it out for the first time today. One ESC acts like it cant find proper timing and shuts down quickly (I can even do it on the bench at times). I checked all my connections and they are good. I switched ESCs in the boat and put them on opposite motors and the problem followed the ESC. I tried playing with timing and PWM rate to see if it made a difference but it didn't. I even tried spraying it with corrosion x in case it was a mosture issue (although there was no water in the boat whatsoever) but that did not work either.

Each time the data logger shows 300A+ on that ESC and shows "over current detected".

Any help would be appreciated. I bought these ESCs NIB but from a OSE member so I dont have a receipt. :unsure:

JimClark
06-19-2011, 08:46 PM
I think Jay (Fluid on OSE) uses those or Brian (Raptor) also maybe they can help

keithbradley
06-26-2011, 10:01 PM
After getting no response here, and seeing that castle's current repair time is 3 weeks, I decided to try out a few more things.

I re-installed the lastest firmware on the controller, checked all solder connections, and checked the inside of the controller for any moisture or maybe poor soldering that could cause arcing. Everythng looked fine. A bench test showed that it seemed to be working well, so I made a trip back to the lake.

I tried running on 5s first (the boat is intended to run on 8s) and it ran ok for about a minute, then that same ESC hit the over current protection again. Upon inspection, both escs were about ambient temp, both motors were cool as well, and there were no signs of anything else going on. The data log on the goofy ESC again showed a 305A draw, while the other ESC was at a max draw of 50 something amps.
I decided to disable the over current cut off on the wonky ESC and see what happens on a quick run. The boat ran fine. I took a couple quick laps and brought it in. Again, everything was cool. I downloaded the data log and the wonky ESC again showed 305A THE ENTIRE SESSION. I then compared the logs from the ESC that said 305A, and the one that was in the 50A range. I noticed that the voltage drop was similar in both logs. I am running seperate batteries for each side, so no way the voltge drop should be the same. I had to come to the conclusion that the esc wasn't really drawing 305A. There is just no way a lipo will hold the same voltage at a 50A draw as it will at 305A draw.

So...at this point I decide that one controller has a bad datalogger and Im just going to have to live with it. So I put the intended setup in the boat. (2) 4s lipos, wired in series for 8s1p. I had y adapters that I used to wire the pos and neg wires of the ESCs together, so they were no longer on independent circuits. I ran it a little at light throttle and it didnt seem to plane out well...almost like one motor was spinning faster than the other...I drove it in front of me slowly and both props were turning, so I hit the throttle hard to see what it would do. That was it. It made that nasty noise that lets you know that the smoke is coming. I was close to shore, so I quickly grabbed it and took all the tape off, purging smoke from the hull like an angry dragon as soon as the seal was broken. I disconnected the batteries and tried not to throw the kid in the water who was standing 5 feet away laughing and commenting on how funny it was.

Sucks.
Here's where it gets worse, and even more confusing...

I get it home and pull everything out and begin to clean the hull. One ESC was a complete meltdown, the other has a small melted spot on the plastic where it mounts, but other than that it was all in tact...so at least I still have one good ESC, right?. The LiFe rx pack was ripped out at the lake, as it started to catch fire.
I examined the "good" ESC, and noticed it had hex head bolts holding the plastic casing together, while the melted one had phillips head bolts. I thought for sure when I took apart the goofy acting ESC it had hex head bolts...

After plugging that ESC back into the laptop to see what was recorded, I discovered that IT was the wonky ESC that was reading a 305A draw. The one that was reading fine is the one that fried. So I essentially have TWO junk castle 120HVs. I'm very frustrated with these ESCs right now. I've spent a ton of money on castle ESCs as I've used them in quite a few builds lately (pretty much all of them). I've never had a problem with the 160HV or the 100A models, but there is clearly something going on with these 120A models. Too bad there is not a castle rep here to discuss this matter. I dont have another $500 to dish out on new ESC...and I would be hesitant to do so at this point.

I know this is long and probably no one read it. Just needed to vent this somewhere.

crrcboatz
06-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Wow maybe that is why a guy sold me a nib 120 cheap!!!:doh::confused2:

Make-a-Wake
06-26-2011, 10:38 PM
I read the whole thing. Talk directly to a repair tech at Castle, I did and they have replaced a bunch of items for me.................in your case you did nothing wrong, i bet they replace both of them. In the meantime can you spring for some Turnigy 80 amp hv's, I use one with a 1515 Neu 2Y on 8s and have never had an issue. You can then sell the ICE controllers on Ebay when they are replaced...................i bet they do.

ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8945

keithbradley
06-26-2011, 10:44 PM
I read the whole thing. Talk directly to a repair tech at Castle, I did and they have replaced a bunch of items for me.................in your case you did nothing wrong, i bet they replace both of them. In the meantime can you spring for some Turnigy 80 amp hv's, I use one with a 1515 Neu 2Y on 8s and have never had an issue. You can then sell the ICE controllers on Ebay when they are replaced...................i bet they do.

ESC - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8945

I planned on contacting them, although I dont know how it will work out as I dont have receipts for them.

As far as getting something else to replace them...I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm so sick of these ESC meltdowns. It's funny how much you can over-stress an ESC and have no negative outcome for many runs...yet others cant even live up to (well below)their rating once.

Make-a-Wake
06-26-2011, 11:04 PM
There have been items i sent them with NO reciept.............they replaced them. Its their product and they dont care where you got it, i wish i knew the techs name i talk to a bunch..............i'll find out tomorrow and give you his name, nicest guy in the whole company and he cares. They will dismantle the item and check it out thoroughly, they will see the 305a on the graph, then tell them the screws were different and you think you got a re-built one..........blah blah blah.........they'll replace 'em. You should seriously consider the Turnigy 80a HV's, mine doesnt even get warm on 8s in my Elam.............and scoots it to mid 50's. Here it is crammed in there........

LarrysDrifter
06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
Keith, a Castle tech is a member here, although its rare he's online here. His user and real name is Joe Ford. Very nice guy and very willing to do anything to help. He is Castles " boat guy ". When you call Castle, as for him by name or enter his extention--119. Hope this helps.

sailr
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I had a castle 240LV blow yesterday. I had used this esc with no problems for over a year. The only difference is I had sprayed it down with corrosion X as a lot of people advise. Obviously the esc didn't like it! Now I'm wondering if Castle will honor any sort of repair option since I used the corrosion X? I know it's out of warranty but their repair option may be more than just buying a different brand esc.

JIM MARCUM
06-27-2011, 07:09 PM
I just talked to Castle & they said if I bought the ESC on ebay ( I did, the ICE HV 200) there is NO warranty!!! Hope you are right. JIM

Make-a-Wake
06-27-2011, 09:09 PM
I got a Castle ESC from hobbypartz or something like that, fried it, and sent it to Castle. I followed up with them and all they said i had to do was send the fried one back in the pre-addressed, postage paid envelope they sent me with the new ESC, and i did that.