PDA

View Full Version : First FE flex/strut - OK?

cowana
06-19-2011, 06:52 PM
I'm constructing my first FE boat - a 32" cat from R2Hobbies.

There are a few threads on here about this particular boat. The design is nice and the sponsons are very sharp - the only negative is that the fibreglass is very thin. I sorted that by adding carbon fibre to the hull between the sponsons.

I'm planning to use a Leopard 4074 (2000kv) on 4s, with a Hobbywing 180A ESC.

Hardware is a HOR Racing strut and rudder with a 4mm flexshaft, going to an Octura X447.

I know 3/16" flex would be stronger, but it's too late for that now.

This is my first boat with a flexshaft - I've heard that the centre of the strut should be level with the bottom of the sponsons. This is how it's set up at the moment (see the photos). However, the boat is very shallow and light - I'm expecting it to sit high in the water, and it looks like about 50% of one prop blade will be out of the water when the boat is at rest.

My instinct is to put the prop lower so it is definitly submerged, but I thought I'd check with the experts first!

So; - is the centre of the prop level with the sponsons correct for such a shallow boat?

The motor mount is currently unglued and the brass propshaft is uncut - I'll wait for some answers before doing anything major.

Many thanks

Andrew

cowana
06-19-2011, 06:55 PM
...and a few more photos...

And just to add - this isn't for racing or anything serious - I'm just trying to get a fastish (40mph?) boat for not too much money. I find the building the best part, rather than the actual running.