PDA

View Full Version : Mystery esc

Mich. Maniac
04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Hey has anyone seen or used any of these mystery brushless esc's? Isee them on ebay for like 40. and they are 80amp constant. I know you get what you pay for but just wondered if they were even worth that?

Mich. Maniac
04-23-2007, 08:55 PM
I also see thare are these Pulso's that are water cooled but only 70Amp's for 80.00??? any suggestions?

hammertime
04-23-2007, 08:57 PM
i was lookin at a pulso myself..... looks like a nice esc.... they also have a combo with that big a$$ motor for like 179.99 i think..... looks like a nice esc though i might get one..... the mystery im not sure about

Mich. Maniac
04-23-2007, 08:59 PM
they are saying the pulso will work with pistol radio too

hammertime
04-23-2007, 09:00 PM
yes it does

hammertime
04-23-2007, 09:03 PM
if you want i have a towerpro esc waterproof and watercooled here ill sell ya

Mich. Maniac
04-23-2007, 09:04 PM
I actually need 2 matching of whatever I get. where to get another towerpro? what are the specs?

ED66677
04-30-2007, 10:39 AM
I won a bid on one of these ESC and I'm waiting for it, but I search on previous buyer on this item and had the chance to find an Englishman who got one, he simply said : "basic, cheap, 80amps, working fine, what else do you want?"

SJFE
04-30-2007, 10:45 AM
I bought the 80 amp mystery and only bench tested it. I was not going to push it very hard. The wires where cheap and the sloder joints looked suspect. I slated it for the fighter 550 with a 9L on 7 cells. Never got a test in before the boat sold. I have received no emails from the buyer to this point.

ReddyWatts
04-30-2007, 11:00 AM
I know a friend that is running some 80 amp Mystery controllers. He has run them at 90 amps and 165 F. They just keep working. He has not water cooled them either. I dont know if these are a fluke, but they work ok for a sport setup. You do have to listen to a power up tune each time you turn them on. Not sure what song it is. Kinda embarrassing.

part time
04-30-2007, 11:09 AM
if you want some lowcost esc why no go with the hextronic ones. i have not heard anthing bad about them. and at around $50 and a 1 year warrenty seems like a good deal to me.

ReddyWatts
04-30-2007, 11:21 AM
Steven, do you ever plan on selling any of these cheaper "sportsman" controllers?

SJFE
04-30-2007, 11:26 AM
I for one would pay an extra 10 or 15% just to avoid the transit time alone. I also don't have a problem installing my own water cooling or doing it for any one else for that matter. IMO it would be a win win.

Doug Smock
04-30-2007, 12:29 PM
Not sure what song it is. Kinda embarrassing.

A couple of guys at the club have them, it is embarrasing. I'm pretty sure it is"Twinkle twinkle little star" :eek: Makes ya want to go hide. :o

Steven Vaccaro
04-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Steven, do you ever plan on selling any of these cheaper "sportsman" controllers?

Ebay is hard to beat on pricing on those.

ReddyWatts
04-30-2007, 12:50 PM
Steven, I meant like a hextronic esc with a programming card.

I would not own one of those tune playing Mystery controllers that are hard to program.

Castle Creations has great controllers, probably the best. Their customer service cannot be beat. I would compare them as the Cadillac/Ferrari of this business, but sometimes I would like to be able to buy a Ford from you.

hammertime
04-30-2007, 03:26 PM
twinkle twinkle little star.....OMG THAT IS FUUUUUUNY

SJFE
04-30-2007, 03:34 PM
I second Reddy. I would be thrilled with just the Hex units. I don't think you would have to worry about beating ebay prices. I'd bet the farm 99% of your customer base is quite loyal. If you offer it I know I'm buying it from you regardless. My peace of mind is worth way more than 10 or 15%.

ED66677
04-30-2007, 04:31 PM
Just got mine from HongKong today, it does work, not really programable as it was said, no manual ship with, almost not even packed, but finaly found some setup info on a portuguese site!!!

ReddyWatts
04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
I cant find any Hextronic controllers on Ebay.

SJFE
04-30-2007, 06:26 PM
I have never seen one either. I was speaking in general in reference to any esc or part for that matter.

ReddyWatts
04-30-2007, 07:45 PM
I was surprised when I could not find any hex controllers there. I thought I was not searching properly for them, so you cant find any either?

SJFE
04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
No. I have the auto searches that run every day. I will add the Hex to the list. But I run a brushless esc search in my dailys to see whats new...and nothing there either.

ED66677
05-02-2007, 03:51 AM
yes Mystery plays anoying music at startup, also at the end of the programing sequence, but they are not hard to program, in fact there's not that much to program on it! :)

ED66677
05-02-2007, 07:35 AM
here's what you can program and the way to do it, throttle stick at full then turn on ESC, you'll hear that little music and then some short (.) and long (-) beep as following:
1) - - - Brake On
2) -- -- -- Brake Off
3).- .- .- NiCd/NiMh
4).-- .-- .-- LiPo
5)..- ..- ..- Soft Startup
6)..-- ..-- ..-- Hard Startup
7)...- ...- ...- Soft Timing
8)...-- ...-- ...-- Hard Timing
9).... .... .... Reset to factory settings

You can only change one parameter at a time
Move throttle to Idle to validate a parameter, keep throttle in this position and you'll hear a different music meaning you exit setup
During normal startup, you hear the music plus one beep if brake is on two beep if brake is off.
hope this help! :)

Mich. Maniac
05-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Nothing to do with this thread but I got that Venom balance charger and Venom 11.1 lipos. I have to say AWESOME!!! battery came at 11.4V and I balance charged to exactly 12.6 which is recomended and I flew my heli with it run time around 10minutes and it was only down to 11.1 min I think 9.6. WOW I have to give it up for these products. #1 in my book. just wish my LHS sold DeAns. all they have is trains.

Mich. Maniac
05-06-2007, 10:31 AM
I just noticed Fullers Fast Elec. has his hydra 120's for like 253.00. What a Guy. glad ive never gave him any biz. He does have some fast motors though. maybe next year.

Doug Smock
05-06-2007, 12:03 PM
I just noticed Fullers Fast Elec. has his hydra 120's for like 253.00. What a Guy. glad ive never gave him any biz.

Ray spends thousands of dollars each year sponsoring races so that we ALL have a place to compete.;) SAWs ect.
I don't mind at all doing business with a man like that. You have to spread the wealth.:)
We (6 club members) spent over $1500.00 last week. (New LSH stuff), Ray got half of it, and so did Steven.:cool:
It's all in how ya look at it.

Doug

Mich. Maniac
05-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Yeah thats a good point. I would LOVE to race or at least go to races but being the new family man and new homeowner I just dont have time except to charge my batts and go to the lake for 20 minutes. I guess thats a great point " spending a little extra now so when I have time these clubs are still going.

Mich. Maniac
05-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Dont get me wrong I dont down anyone or any site If I was in the biz I would double my prices!!!LOL

Doug Smock
05-06-2007, 12:23 PM
[QUOTE=Mich. Maniac;3506]Dont get me wrong I dont down anyone or any site/QUOTE]

No fowl Mich., I know what your saying. Just shedding some light sir!!:D

All the best,
Doug

SJFE
05-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Fullers hardware is priced about the same as every one else. The electrics he sells are more tward the high end or race guys not us sport runners. The prices reflect that. FDM is the same way to an extent. Steven has taken it upon himself to serve the entry level and sport boat guys. We are lucky to have him. It's not about makin money IMO it's about providing for the diffrent levels of boaters out there.

SJFE
05-06-2007, 04:07 PM
It seems I have to clarify exactly what the above post is trying to convey. The point was tried to make is this. Fullers and FDM are geared for more advanced boaters. They sell the electronic components that advanced users need for extreme performance. With performance comes a price. It's plain to see with just a few minutes of browsing. OSE's inventory is more diverse and serves both ends of the spectrum. I never implied one company was operating at a nice surplus while another was taking a loss just to provide service for sport boaters. I have considered going into business (still am) and have been advised "there is money in it but don't quit your day job". So my view on this subject is some what based on personal experience and advice I have been given. It was not my intent to bash anyone.

Steven Vaccaro
05-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Put it this way, there is money in what I do. If not I wouldn't do it. Its extra money for me to put towards my kids education. Am I rich? No way, I'm a working stiff like lots of people.

I aways say to my wife that OSE came at the wrong time in my life. I'm 37 years old. I wish I was 57 and I would downsize my home and retire from my day job and do what I truly love best!

FYI slowly I have been getting more of those high quality items. I'm a Neu motors dealer now. I haven't figured out the motors I want yet. I been pushing if off because I have been working on other boating things. IE hardware and things.

SJFE
05-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Well it would seem you got a big head start with your kids. I'm 35 with a 6 year old and another one planned next year. Sure I have been @ my job a long time..I can retire @ 48 with 25 years..BUT doing the math I will have one going into collage and another in Jr High...2 3rds my pay wont even be close. Ima be workin till I'm 60+...Uggggg

Steven Vaccaro
05-06-2007, 06:52 PM
I also started young. I was working at Dads store at 14 years old. At 15 my dad had a heart problem and was in the hospital for a few weeks. I took the time off of school to run the store that Christmas. Went back to school after a few weeks. After graduating high school I went directly into the family biz. I will have 20 years of full-time under my belt next year. I'm now a part owner.

SJFE
05-06-2007, 08:29 PM
It has got to be nice working with family. Worst case I have to put 37 years total in. I may just go to 55 so that I retain full medical benefits for life. MrsSJFE will finish school and start teaching next year. It will put us an a better position for retirment. I would love to own a shop some day. Alot of things will have to go right for it to happen.

Steven Vaccaro
05-06-2007, 08:41 PM
It has got to be nice working with family. .
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL. It couldn't be worse at some times. My father and I get along well. We are like "checks and balances". My sister and brother tried to do it, wanted more money than me and never wanted to get off their ass! needless to say, neither is there now. I have two girls that work with me that do about 4 times with work my brother or sister did without me ever asking them to do it!!!

Skunk Works
05-06-2007, 09:23 PM
I hear ya guys on these latest posts. Biz at the Skunk Works shop is pretty good, but I need to hit the full time corporate world to pay the bills and plan for the future.....I am hoping for a hockey or baseball scholarship for my son's college......LOL! Yeah right! 5 year old son and 2 year old daughter, life is great, just complicated at times.

I think the direction of the shop will be changing soon. I am thinking to do only full custom builds on boats and trucks. Everything from the paint to the finish. We'll see, every day is an adventure.

I do work with the Pulso 100 amp esc and I think it is solid. Works great for romping around the pond on the weekend. I like the setup. I do work with the mfg, they have good products, room to grow, see what happens.

Have a good one!

Scott

ED66677
05-07-2007, 05:14 AM
Just for your information guys, I ran My Xcyclone yesterday, don't know how many amps the 8XL did drain but it was a nice first run, the esc was just warm but the shrink wrap just cracked all along the "cold" side!!!
I'm re-designing my home made watercooling plate and will add a better wraping!
It's definitely a cheap contro! but as long as it is working...

robby76
05-08-2007, 08:14 PM
i use the mystery80s on my twin sea terror cat 42 inches 13 pounds. best speed was 39.7 mph. moved up to the hex120 and ran 42.5 mph GPS. after shut down one nimh cell flashed. salvaged the boat and ready to run again. you do need a pix-stix adapter for them and for twins the cost is the same if you order it for twin. other wise you will need a Y-adapter. not bad. have run stock settings on both and am pleased with the performance. smallest prop 42mm biggest 55mm.

ED66677
05-29-2007, 08:05 AM
Steven,
try to deal directly and evantualy ask for a quote here http://www.diytrade.com/directory/global/buy/products-list/0-s-c-1.html?qs=brushless+esc&qc=prd if you look at the second one you'll get there, http://www.diytrade.com/directory/global/buy/products/2598289/China_Manufacturers-brushless_motor_controller.html, the picture shows the same as the one I found for every other brand, sometimes called MC80 MC120 sometimes FM80 or FM120...
I'm sure you can get them for 10 bucks if you order 100 pcs, and I'm sure they can make it custom... with OSE sticker and no stupid music at startup!!!
the 120 would be very interresting for low budget and beginners!!!

part time
05-29-2007, 09:04 AM
the danlions boat controller wholesale price is not bad either. it would be nice if they were rated for more than 16 cells though.

Steven Vaccaro
05-30-2007, 10:35 AM
Thats for the links. I have used the diytrade site before. Its interesting whats out there. I finally worked out a deal and I should have some pulso motors and esc's in about 3 weeks.

hammertime
05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
what are the pulso esc amp rated

ED66677
06-24-2007, 03:44 PM
my Mystery just got flooded during a side jump at full speed :( it was not waterproofed so I could not get the boat back by itself :eek: , but the good news is that after 30 minutes drying by the sun it was working fine! :D

ED66677
07-17-2007, 05:11 AM
Does anyone has ever seen the 120amp version, on some document or manual I found it is mentioned FM120a as the 80amp is called FM80a?

Steve at Danford
08-21-2008, 07:01 PM
Hi Man - Can you tell me exactly how to set up the cooling plate on the 100A Mytery ESC. I have an Etti cooling plate now. Do I remove the yellow heat wrap and metal heat sink with no problems? - Steve

ED66677
08-22-2008, 01:16 AM
yes removed shrink wrap and yellow heat sink, put a thin layer of heat transfert grease on the side of the waterbock pointing to the ESC, before you put everything back in a new shrink wrap you may want to spray some conformal coating material, if you don't have any and don't want to use shrink wrap, use silicon sealant to glue to waterblock and to "coat" the ESC!

Steve at Danford
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM
OK ED - Thanks for the reply Man! I have the silicone conformal coating - I am going to use Hi-Temperature Red Silicone to glue on the plate. I had to ask you just to be sure as you seem to be the "Mystery ESC Expert". My 100A that I got cheap on EBay armed perfectly right out of the package. So far so good - I will keep you posted - Steve - I think I will try to find some "Heat Transfer Grease"

ED66677
08-22-2008, 07:34 AM
beware if using conformal coating, do not coat heat transfert surfaces (top of MosFET's)
Danford UK? for the thermal coumpound (I was looking for the exact name) go to RS components http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=0554311 3.23£

Steve at Danford
08-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Hi Ed - It's Danford Lake near Kazabazua Quebec, which is 90 km north of Ottawa in Canada. Nice and cool up there. OK Great - I used Conformal Coating on the front of the ESC - Do I use the Heat ink Compound on the FETS and the glue the ESC to the plate with the high heat silicone. Thanks - Steve

ED66677
08-24-2008, 05:20 AM
heat sink coumpound on Fet's then gluing the cooling plate in place and then coat the rest, do not only coat top surface, pcb's may have several layer and water could go through, coat the edges as well!

Steve at Danford
08-24-2008, 07:40 AM
OK Bro - Got it - Thanks for the good advice - Steve

launchpad
02-06-2012, 01:13 PM
twinkle twinkle little star.....OMG THAT IS FUUUUUUNY

How I wonder who you are...............haha. Where can I get instructions on arming it?So far I have found nothing about arming it.Anyone have any idea on this esc.

JIM MARCUM
02-06-2012, 05:40 PM
I bought two of these ESCs from HK. 200 Ampcont. 220 burst, $35. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=19441. The ESCs were the only items on this order, shipment was fast - 2 weeks.

Haven't ran them yet, but they appear to be well made & are water cooled. They are light weight & no larger than a typical 50-60 amp ESC. Certanly worth a look. JIM