PDA

View Full Version : Scooped up a MC.

wparsons
06-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Just picked mine up at lunch, found that a LHS had one left so I jumped on it.

Paint quality is bleh, motor/stuffing tube need to be re-aligned, but otherwise it looks solid. I was expecting both, so it wasn't a shock or disappointment.

I'm going to pull the flex and see how well it's soldered, and likely redo it. I'm also going to check the strut bushing to make sure its drag free. Deans are also coming off for some 5.5mm bullets as well.

Any other things I should look at before getting it wet?

I'm considering picking up the UL-1 rudder blade in place of the stock pickup, any thoughts on that?

Suggestions on a prop? I'm hearing good things about the x642 or m445 on it. I'm leaning towards the m445 but I haven't found one in stock anywhere.

v-spec
06-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Nice! It's a great boat! I'm at the lake right now running mine. Waiting for batteries to come off charger actually. The water pickup on the boat works great actually everything stays really cool and I'm running some fairly hefty gear for the hull.
4074 2200kv swordfish 200 and an x645 at the moment. 3 min run and hottest thing was the esc at 113. So at this point I'm sticking with stock cooling pickup.

wparsons
06-16-2011, 03:57 PM
It's not that I don't think its effective, but there's more drag (meaningful or not I don't know) having the pickup in the water like that.

I'll probably pick up the other rudder blade if I happen to find one in stock, but won't go out of my way to find one.

Stinger9D9
06-20-2011, 10:11 PM
I managed to find an MC still in stock at www.greathobbies.com which was great because since the only way to get anything right now is via courier, it's nice to not have to cross the border (and pay the brokerage fees). The price was right too. I must have got their last MC though, because they are now out of stock.

I was really, really hoping to get one of these before my summer vacation (a week at a cottage on the water up on Manitoulin). That is the one week when all my boats get a lot of miles. Now I have it - AWESOME :rockon2:

Anyway, the forums have been great for showing us what we need to check before heading out to the pond.

The finish on my boat is great (it's the prep that was done to the hull before the finish that's pretty gnarly). I don't care, it looks good from 2 feet - heck it looks better than I would probably have the patience for, so I can't really complain.

I did the usual, took out and de-burred the strut bushing, re-soldered the flex shaft, re-aligned the stuffing tube, checked all the screws to make sure they're snug and even added a thrust bearing between the coupler and motor for good measure.

For what it's worth, I think the flex shaft was soldered pretty darn well to begin with...but...it was a bit out of alignment, and I'm a little gun-shy after reading online of some bad experiences with the solder letting go. Once I de-soldered it I found a fair amount of hard grey grunge down in the bottom of the hole in the sub shaft. I cleaned it out completely with a drill, then lacquer thinner and a pipe cleaner, and then compressed air to be sure it was CLEAN before I re-soldered it. I don't know what the stuff was; for all I know, it could be extra flux that was used when they assembled the shaft.

So the boat is all back together and ready to go. Now I just need some time away from work to go run it!

wparsons
06-21-2011, 07:10 AM
When I checked with them, their only location that had one was the Ottawa store but nothing in the online warehouse. The day or two before they had online stock, so I guess you got the one I was going to order from them :p

Stinger9D9
06-22-2011, 08:39 PM
When I checked with them, their only location that had one was the Ottawa store but nothing in the online warehouse. The day or two before they had online stock, so I guess you got the one I was going to order from them :p

Yeah probably. The shipping (FedEx) was pretty reasonable too. I ordered it on Wednesday and got it on Monday...nice!

She's a bit disabled right now (see my other post) so I'm running her on a 1600kv SV27 motor for the next little while. I runs surprisingly well with that motor!