PDA

View Full Version : New Proboat Impulse 31" Deep Vee

airman66285
06-16-2011, 06:42 AM
Proboat has a new boat:
http://proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4250

Looks like another fantastic build by Darin. It has a very interesting transom. I like it!

ron1950
06-16-2011, 06:54 AM
looks nice but allready have a pursuit......pb sure is getting there money worth out of the 1800 and 60 amp esc.....

airman66285
06-16-2011, 07:24 AM
looks nice but allready have a pursuit......pb sure is getting there money worth out of the 1800 and 60 amp esc.....

It's a proven power system and I really like it. I have the same set up in my Fastech and it screams.

tunnelvision
06-16-2011, 08:00 AM
That looks really nice! Gotta give proboat some credit they sure are putting out some nice boats. I like the battery placement and the motor back further in the hull. Looks like it would be real easy to upgrade the motor/esc as well. Was thinking of selling some of my fleet for the Mystic but this intrigues me.

Scott T
06-16-2011, 08:25 AM
Interesting. It has a flooded stuffing box and the bottom of the rudder has had some attention. Looks like a lot of thought has gone into this one.

properchopper
06-16-2011, 10:06 AM
Now that Darin removed my "gag order", I'll come out of the closet and say that this is one hot model :thumbup1: Handles as good as anything I've ever seen, and in stock form leaves very little to be desired. We're lucky to have guys with Darin's expertise (and others :spy:) jump in and work with a solid company like Proboat to create offerings like this boat. While we're at it, check out the 26" Impulse : $169.95 RTR and a perfect boat to recommend to the entry level guy who wants to get into the hobby without busting the bank. We've come a long way, baby :beerchug:

electric
06-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Nice looking boat. Good to see something that is bigger than a SuperVee, but not up to that next level of size. Amazed at how many choices there are for fast electric boats these days that are RTR that were simply not there 3 or 4 years ago.

roadrashracing
06-16-2011, 10:48 AM
thats swett!!

twofford71
06-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Girlfriends gonna be mad... mystic and the impulse gotta have em tho.. sh will get over it tho I hope!!!

Doby
06-16-2011, 03:13 PM
Looks like the strut is offset as well. :thumbup1:

electric
06-16-2011, 05:32 PM
The name says it all IMPULSE, AS IN I BUY BOATS IMPULSIVELY (SP?)

Like I tell my wife, it could be worse, it could be cars, motorcycles,REAL boats...etc...

Rumdog
06-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Best rigged RTR on the market. And by far by the looks of it!

Darin Jordan
06-16-2011, 06:51 PM
Now that the cat is out of the bag, I can share some more info.

This boat, in February, with a hotter power system, ran an official 2-Lap time on an official 1/6th mile course at 29.20 seconds.

This boat, in April, with a little bit hotter power system, ran over 65mph through the timing traps at Legg Lake.

This boat, in May, with the same hotter power system, ran in this video in our P-Mono class.

C5Pn-9sO6ZA

I pushed it a little to hard into the turn and it took a bad hop there, but it was clearly running pretty well...

The trim tab mounting holes just "HAPPEN" to exactly match the bolt pattern on these SpeedMaster trim tabs: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-spdt-150

You have to reverse the screws and drill adjusting holes in the tabs to use them, and I'll post pics of this in a bit.

The battery trays will EASILY handle 4S2P, and more... There should be plenty of room for about any motor you'd want to drop in. You can easily fit 3S on each side. You MIGHT be able to put 5S on each side as wel. Not sure about 6S2P.

As I was going through mine, the only thing I found out of the box was that the motor mount wasn't tightened down square, requiring the two screws to be loosened, line it up, then retighten. Otherwise, it seems solidly assembled right out of the box. I would go over all the nuts and bolts, which should be standard practice anyhow. I would even go so far as to say you don't REALLY need to replace the trim tabs, as the stock ones are stainless, adjustable, and they have slotted mounting holes to adjust further.

It will only be offfered for now in a RTR version, with ProBoat 2.4gHz. If you really want PB to offer a PNP version, please contact them and let them know.

I hope you'll find this to be the most completely thought out, well designed, and nicest quality RTR that's hit the market to date. It is manufactured by the same company that makes the Stiletto, and the hull quality if right on par. This one marks the culmination of all of my past experience, and has everything done that I could talk them into doing. If the contacts were larger than 3.5s, I'd almost say it was perfect.

Here are some pictures of the sample I received last Friday...

Diesel6401
06-16-2011, 07:14 PM
:bowdown:

This looks AWESOME, great job Darin & PB. Can't wait for this to hit the stores. The last offereings from PB have really been great.

CC 1518 standing by for this one.

Darin Jordan
06-16-2011, 07:18 PM
Here is a shot of the Speedmaster Tabs installed on an earlier sample test boat...

Brushless55
06-16-2011, 07:35 PM
very cool, I dig it! :rockon2:
what kind of speeds could one expect on 4s using a different prop other than stock?

jac4412
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Looks really sweet.. can't wait to get my hands on that..

I was planning on building a boat but with proboat coming out with these 3 solid models I don't think I'll have the money!

Rumdog
06-16-2011, 07:58 PM
This will be my first FE rtr in years. Looks like a big win! Great job Darin! Thank you for your help in bringing great FE performance to the masses!

Rumdog
06-16-2011, 08:00 PM
One question.. 31" to the transom, or the transom overhang?

RIPFENCE
06-16-2011, 08:14 PM
wow great job!!! this will be my first rtr no doubt..its sick looking!! the rear of the boat actually looks like a swim platform on a real boat..the styling is great

arp1500
06-16-2011, 09:30 PM
thats awesome i was looking at getting the mystic or mg now im more interested in this deep v

ron1950
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
so just what is a hotter power system? how close would the stocker version do in p mono?

v-spec
06-16-2011, 10:57 PM
so just what is a hotter power system? how close would the stocker version do in p mono?

I'm guessing a Losi Xcelorin 2400kv :sorry:

Darin Jordan
06-17-2011, 12:56 AM
One question.. 31" to the transom, or the transom overhang?

It measures about 29.5" down the keel... 31" to the overhang.

The hull has a unique spray rail design that should help keep it from submarining most of the time, as well...

Initial speeds are typical of the power system... ProBoat took all their boats out and did some radar testing, using bone stock, out of the box boats with stock, un-prepped ProBoat props and here are the notes they sent me for this boat:

Impulse 31
Stock – 32mph on 4S-45C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-25C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-50C
1.9” Prop – 48mph on 6S-25C (Yes, we know you told us not to try this prop with this setup, and as you warned, we fried the ESC on this setup)

So, I'd expect about 40 or so with the right prop on 4S and obviously much faster with more cells. And WAY faster with more motor! ;)

fatboyelectric
06-17-2011, 01:18 AM
BY BY Super V! :buttrock:

ron1950
06-17-2011, 06:45 AM
good to hear real speeds and not how fast it looks.....what motor did u use in your p mono race?

arp1500
06-17-2011, 06:58 AM
so can we run 6s and be safe?
or is this a 4s boat just like the mg and mystic

siberianhusky
06-17-2011, 07:18 AM
Anybody want to buy my SV? (Kidding) Was going to gut it to build a DF29. Might just sell it next winter and try one of these. Looks like another sure winner with a solid well tested power system!
This is a new one for me, I even really like the graphics on it! Easy enough to dress up with some touches of your own without a complete re-paint.
Being a happy Spektrum user I would love a BnD version don't really need to add to the collection of radios I don't use, although another Spektrum would be a nice back-up! Just changed my mind!
Cheers

lectriglide
06-17-2011, 08:55 AM
Did anyone else notice the Properchopper style battery holder!!

Darin Jordan
06-17-2011, 10:06 AM
so can we run 6s and be safe?
or is this a 4s boat just like the mg and mystic

It's exactly the same power system, so in my mind, the jury is still out on whether or not 6S is "safe". That being said, people do it all the time.

More testing needs to be done at ProBoat before I believe they are going to be comfortable actually officially stating that, however.

Darin Jordan
06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
Did anyone else notice the Properchopper style battery holder!!

"Used with permission, all rights reserved"!! :rofl:

I talked to Tony about this and he loved the idea... I tried to get ProBoat to name it the "ProperLipo-Holder"... didn't fly! :bounce:

It's a good idea that is nice insurance against the batteries popping the hatch in a flip.

By the way, when it flips... this boat does SPECTACULAR flips! Especially when it's approaching 70! :thumbup:

Ron... the motor was a Losi Xcelorin 1/8th Scale Buggy Motor, 2400KV, with 4S2P, a Hydra 240, and an ABC 42x55 prop.

Brushless55
06-17-2011, 10:22 AM
maybe 5s2p with a M445 prop on the stock electronics could be mocho! :buttrock:

lonneyb
06-17-2011, 12:18 PM
This came out JUST in Time!!!/......I was going to get the Pursuit...BUT not no more!!!......This bad boy is ON ORDER!!!

lonneyb
06-17-2011, 01:01 PM
I have 2 of these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11940
Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack

and i have been running them 1 at a time of course in my Stiletto ...now i have the Mystic on the way and the Impulse 31 on Pre order ...Can i use these in all 3 of these boats?...I was concerned about the Mystic because it looks like you need 2 batterys to balance it out....but i couldnt use 2 of these in the mystic could i?

Darin Jordan
06-17-2011, 01:42 PM
I actually ran this boat with a single 4S pack several times and it works fine. One COULD remove the stud holding the battery hold-down and just use Velcro, or add some tie-down straps as well. With the motor towards the back like it is, and the long, wide, battery trays, getting many different battery configs to balance is doable.

lonneyb
06-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Awesome....Thanx Darin ...So in the Mystic ..i would HAVE to use 2x 7.4 5000ish mAh lipo packs...?

arp1500
06-17-2011, 04:52 PM
ok cool, im not sure if i should wait to see if it can take 6s before a buy new batteries to run 4s

darin what do you think the speed difference is between 4 s and 6s

ron1950
06-17-2011, 05:24 PM
arp...any time u use 6s on a 60amp esc u are asking for trouble.....you might get a strong one and u might get a weak one and have a hand gernade

arp1500
06-18-2011, 06:55 AM
ok i guess ill just run 2 4s in parallel
will it fit in the boat 2 4s?

bigcam406
06-18-2011, 08:15 AM
i was wondering if Proboat was going to release a deep v this year.i was checking my email yesterday,and voila! looks very promising.i like the looks,and it comes with proven hardware.great job Darin :thumbup1: cant wait to see how it flies.

lonneyb
06-18-2011, 08:48 AM
will it fit in the boat 2 4s?Im new to the Battery game could u explain running 2 x 4s in this boat...I have 2 but only run 1 at a time in the stiletto...

airman66285
06-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Im new to the Battery game could u explain running 2 x 4s in this boat...I have 2 but only run 1 at a time in the stiletto...

One can run either (2) 4S packs wired in parallel or (2) 2S packs wired in series. Both scenarios will produce 14.8 volts (4S total). A third option is to run a single 4S pack as well.

Brushless55
06-18-2011, 09:22 AM
will it fit in the boat 2 4s?

they will fit bro :rockon2:

wparsons
06-18-2011, 10:08 AM
Looks like a very well thought out boat, leaves very little reason for people to be building monos in this size from scratch :D

The offset wet well stuffing box is just amazing on a RTR boat!

Brushless55
06-18-2011, 10:20 AM
Looks like a very well thought out boat, leaves very little reason for people to be building monos in this size from scratch :D

The offset wet well stuffing box is just amazing on a RTR boat!

:iagree:
I was about to buy a 34" Insane

lonneyb
06-18-2011, 11:40 AM
One can run either (2) 4S packs wired in parallel or (2) 2S packs wired in series. Both scenarios will produce 14.8 volts (4S total). A third option is to run a single 4S pack as well.

Thanx for your reply.....So as long as i hit 14.8 v its all good...i see people talking about a 4s2p and 4s1p batteries...could you explain that in relation to a boat ...i looked at Hobby king and they seem thicker...so i assume its 2 battery's in 1?

wparsons
06-18-2011, 11:46 AM
"S" is the number of cells in series, "P" is the number in parallel.

4s2p means you have 4 cells in series, and two of those in parallel.

lonneyb
06-18-2011, 11:47 AM
Also would you use a special connector for series and/or parallel?...Thanx again

johnf
06-18-2011, 12:49 PM
Looks great! May have to get one of these. Is the hatch the same material as the mg hatch?

Darin Jordan
06-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Looks great! May have to get one of these. Is the hatch the same material as the mg hatch?

Hatch is all glass... with floatation already added, and a positive latching system... i.e.: no magnets. Even has a little handle to lift the hatch up with...

johnf
06-18-2011, 01:00 PM
That is great to hear! This should really be a winner. Congrats on a job well done Darin.

wparsons
06-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Also would you use a special connector for series and/or parallel?...Thanx again

Depends on what kinds of packs you're running.

For 2s1p, I just run normal 5.5mm bullets negative on esc to negative on one battery, positive on esc to positive on other battery, and the remaining two together.

If you have two 4s packs and want them in parallel, you'll need a y adapter on each ESC wire.

If you have 2s packs and want to combine them into 4s2p you'll need the two y adapters as well as plugging the packs together like I do.

roadrashracing
06-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Is proboat working on making the plastic lids work on more than one boat, theres a lot of boat out there that have them.

Darin Jordan
06-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Is proboat working on making the plastic lids work on more than one boat, theres a lot of boat out there that have them.

Not sure what you are asking... If you are referring to the sub-hatch, then yes... The MG, the Mystic, the Impulse's (26 and 31), all have them. So did the Elam.

If we can make it fit, it'll be there, unless someone higher up nixes the idea.

Brushless55
06-18-2011, 05:02 PM
any word of the date this one will be out? :biggrin:

bigcam406
06-19-2011, 12:18 PM
on the Horizon site,they say early July.

GP73
06-19-2011, 12:50 PM
No BND or PNP? :sad:

wparsons
06-19-2011, 07:33 PM
Not sure what you are asking... If you are referring to the sub-hatch, then yes... The MG, the Mystic, the Impulse's (26 and 31), all have them. So did the Elam.

If we can make it fit, it'll be there, unless someone higher up nixes the idea.

I think he was asking there was any intention of making the lids interchangeable, not sure though.

IMO it's not a huge deal since they all come with lids anyway.

§Bodo§
06-21-2011, 07:37 AM
This looks like a very interesting boat. I´ve got a Traxxas Spartan on backorder, maybe i´ll switch to this mono. Because i´m new to FE-boats, i do not know the reason why the teflon liner goes into the transom in a stuffing tube with much more diameter. I read it is called "wet well liner"? Is this for better cooling of the teflon liner with water or what is the advantage of this? And a second question: This little silver "knob" between the left trim tab and the stuffing tube, is it an outlet for water which will come into the boat?
Regards Bodo

wparsons
06-21-2011, 07:50 AM
IMO, cancel your order on the spartan and pick this up instead! Way better boat for the money.

The wet well stuffing tube isn't for cooling, it just gives you a much wider range of adjustment at the strut. Without it, you can only get a couple degrees of angle adjustment, and no real height adjustment.

I think the silver knob is a water drain, but with it sealed up you shouldn't need to use that much (or ever).

§Bodo§
06-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Thank you, wparsons, you helped me (again).

Brushless55
06-21-2011, 09:48 AM
This looks like a very interesting boat. I´ve got a Traxxas Spartan on backorder, maybe i´ll switch to this mono. Because i´m new to FE-boats, i do not know the reason why the teflon liner goes into the transom in a stuffing tube with much more diameter. I read it is called "wet well liner"? Is this for better cooling of the teflon liner with water or what is the advantage of this? And a second question: This little silver "knob" between the left trim tab and the stuffing tube, is it an outlet for water which will come into the boat?
Regards Bodo

I would ditch the spartan and get this one bro :thumbup1:
infact I sold my unran spartan in hopes a new mono would come by way of Aquacraft or Proboat :rockon2:

MfizzleS62
06-21-2011, 11:48 AM
i really like this boat... I wish it was a deeper V... looks good for flat water but on a big lake not sure how it will act?

My P1 KOS is finally running how it should but i was thinking about a spartan but with all the issues I would hate to have to rebuild it from the ground up just to have it run decent...

Darin Jordan
06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
i really like this boat... I wish it was a deeper V... looks good for flat water but on a big lake not sure how it will act?

The problem with making it a deeper V is that it takes more power to make a deeper V run respectably. This boat was designed to run well with the "P-Limited" power system, but also to be able to handle some decent power upgrades. It handles similarly to a Delta Force or boat of that class, except that it doesn't have the "ride-pad", instead having a true "V" bottom, so it'll actually run a little more stable in rougher water.

As the Product Development Manager for Pro Boat told me when he tested one of the prototypes, setup as I suggested... "It's so stable it's almost boring!" That's easy to fix by raising the tabs and moving the CG back slightly. It's a very tunable boat...

Brushless55
06-21-2011, 12:28 PM
I'm putting some things up for sale just to roll the cash into this Mono! :banana:

tunnelvision
06-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Saw this on the tube'. Horizon test run and review. Nothing we don't already know but nice to see it running!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck4ZEPmW9zs

GP73
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Ahem...

BND? :sold:

PNP? :sold:

RTF only? :ThumbsDown01:

:hug1:

MfizzleS62
06-21-2011, 03:42 PM
The problem with making it a deeper V is that it takes more power to make a deeper V run respectably. This boat was designed to run well with the "P-Limited" power system, but also to be able to handle some decent power upgrades. It handles similarly to a Delta Force or boat of that class, except that it doesn't have the "ride-pad", instead having a true "V" bottom, so it'll actually run a little more stable in rougher water.

As the Product Development Manager for Pro Boat told me when he tested one of the prototypes, setup as I suggested... "It's so stable it's almost boring!" That's easy to fix by raising the tabs and moving the CG back slightly. It's a very tunable boat...

one more question...

will a castle 2200kv motor drop right in? meaning will it bolt onto the motor mount or will i have to change the mount?

Darin Jordan
06-21-2011, 04:47 PM
will a castle 2200kv motor drop right in? meaning will it bolt onto the motor mount or will i have to change the mount?

Yup... Should drop right in. You may have to adjust the motor mount on it's slotted mounts to get clearance for a longer coupler, if you use one, but it should fit right in.

Brushless55
06-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Yup... Should drop right in. You may have to adjust the motor mount on it's slotted mounts to get clearance for a longer coupler, if you use one, but it should fit right in.

Darin, I'm thinking of dropping in a Medusa 3670 2300kv motor and run it on 4s :rockon2:

bigcam406
06-22-2011, 12:23 AM
just watched the vid from Horizon,the 31 looks like it'll be a rocket on the water.also said available late July,early August.guess i have to wait an extra month..

bigcam406
06-22-2011, 01:21 AM
wondering what kind of speeds with 8.4 nihms, havnt purchased lipos yet.

Brushless55
06-22-2011, 03:05 PM
I would love to see a race between this Impulse 31" and a 32" Pursuit with the same power for both boats of a CC1515 2200kv on 4s
I wonder how that would play out....?

skellyo
06-22-2011, 03:14 PM
I would love to see a race between this Impulse 31" and a 32" Pursuit with the same power for both boats of a CC1515 2200kv on 4s
I wonder how that would play out....?

That's the same question I have dancing in my head.

Diesel6401
06-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Noticed something kinda alarming. Obviously the RTR market is getting better and better and I always read a lot about products I plan on getting and this is no different. I was hoping the manual of this boat would be on the Horizon but nothing yet, which isn't the problem I looked at what they suggested to complete this boat and look at the recommended batteries http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/RelatedParts.aspx?ProdID=PRB4250&Category=Completion+Guides&SubCategory=Basic that horizon is suggesting.

As I new person if horizon has this listed as the proper batteries naturally someone is going to get them http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN1050 needless to say we all know what the results would be if someone ran those batts in the new boat. Darin is there anyway to get Horizon to list some proper batteries for this boat?

properchopper
06-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Noticed something kinda alarming. Obviously the RTR market is getting better and better and I always read a lot about products I plan on getting and this is no different. I was hoping the manual of this boat would be on the Horizon but nothing yet, which isn't the problem I looked at what they suggested to complete this boat and look at the recommended batteries http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/RelatedParts.aspx?ProdID=PRB4250&Category=Completion+Guides&SubCategory=Basic that horizon is suggesting.

As I new person if horizon has this listed as the proper batteries naturally someone is going to get them http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN1050 needless to say we all know what the results would be if someone ran those batts in the new boat. Darin is there anyway to get Horizon to list some proper batteries for this boat?

I'm not trying to answer for Darin, but taking a wild guess, I'd say that Horizon may be aiming their battery suggestions at the stock rtr crowd, not the "hi/po modded" rtr guys who populate this and other forums. I could just imagine the well-intentioned first-time buyer being somewhat rudely awakened when he finds out how much a good set of lipos and compatible charger cost. Horizon does list some premium packs, but a few of these and a quality charger will cost more than the boat by itself, and there lies the challange for the marketing department which counts on the reasonable for what you get boat package price being more than doubled to get the most out of the boat. Quite a conundrum.

Diesel6401
06-22-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm not trying to answer for Darin, but taking a wild guess, I'd say that Horizon may be aiming their battery suggestions at the stock rtr crowd, not the "hi/po modded" rtr guys who populate this and other forums. I could just imagine the well-intentioned first-time buyer being somewhat rudely awakened when he finds out how much a good set of lipos and compatible charger cost. Horizon does list some premium packs, but a few of these and a quality charger will cost more than the boat by itself, and there lies the challange for the marketing department which counts on the reasonable for what you get boat package price being more than doubled to get the most out of the boat. Quite a conundrum.

I understand and get that Tony and that's a good answer, but my concern is not over the use of NIMH cells (agree they are a great start for new guys), it's the cells they suggested (1800mah) which was my concern and my point with that question, sorry I didn't get more specific...

Those 1800mah are just not going to cut it, and the new guys are going to be disappointed with the results and running those batteries and something is gonna be damaged because those packs just aren't going to put out enough amps. They could/should have suggested some 5000mah nimh cells if they wanted to go that route.

Just my 2 cents....

properchopper
06-22-2011, 08:13 PM
I understand and get that Tony and that's a good answer, but my concern is not over the use of NIMH cells (agree they are a great start for new guys), it's the cells they suggested (1800mah) which was my concern and my point with that question, sorry I didn't get more specific...

Those 1800mah are just not going to cut it, and the new guys are going to be disappointed with the results and running those batteries and something is gonna be damaged because those packs just aren't going to put out enough amps. They could/should have suggested some 5000mah nimh cells if they wanted to go that route.

Just my 2 cents....

I don't disagree with your logic. In fact to carry it one step further I'd say that not only will performance be less than optimum, but guessing again I'd say that the first-time boatie may very likely have runtime expectations that would be above and beyond what the 1800 nimh's can supply and overdrawing these packs can easily cause some well-known problems.OTOH when Darin brought the boat to L.A. some time ago I had a chance to observe it and it is a REALLY NICE product :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
06-22-2011, 08:19 PM
I don't disagree with your logic. In fact to carry it one step further I'd say that not only will performance be less than optimum, but guessing again I'd say that the first-time boatie may very likely have runtime expectations that would be above and beyond what the 1800 nimh's can supply and overdrawing these packs can easily cause some well-known problems.OTOH when Darin brought the boat to L.A. some time ago I had a chance to observe it and it is a REALLY NICE product :thumbup1:

It def looks like an AMAZING boat. The RTR market keeps getting better and better. I just would hate to see a new guy grab that boat and those batts and have a bad taste in his mouth.

ron1950
06-22-2011, 09:54 PM
darin mentioned that proboat and horizon had a good size shake up of personel......maybe they need to get a few boat guys there to answer the phone.....

arp1500
06-22-2011, 10:25 PM
so what would be the benefit with going with one 4s battery instead of 2 2s in series or 2 4s in parallel?

Darin Jordan
06-23-2011, 12:17 AM
I'll connect with Pro Boat tomorrow. Might be just a typo in the part number or something. Easily handled.

Diesel6401
06-23-2011, 06:40 PM
I'll connect with Pro Boat tomorrow. Might be just a typo in the part number or something. Easily handled.

Thanks Darin... Would hate to have one of our new members be disappointed in the performance of there new boat over the wrong batteries. Keep the good stuff coming, you and PB are doing some AWESOME things!

bigcam406
06-23-2011, 11:29 PM
X2:bowdown:

Darin Jordan
06-24-2011, 09:49 AM
I contacted Pro Boat and they've updated the recommended batteries... Much more applicable option! :thumbup1:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/RelatedParts.aspx?ProdID=PRB4250&Category=Completion%20Guides&SubCategory=Recommended#prodDetailTabs

johnf
06-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Very cool Darin. You know, had this been a thread about the Spartan on the traxxas forum, page 3 probably would have just been deleted. Haha Good to see a manufacturer wanting the customer to have the best experience, even if it does cost a sale or two.

Brushless55
06-28-2011, 11:15 AM
any more news on this new boat?

arp1500
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
so guys what would be the benift to running a single 4s battery

Darin Jordan
06-28-2011, 04:52 PM
so guys what would be the benift to running a single 4s battery

Less wires/contacts = Less resistance = more Voltage to the motor. Also easier to charge.

On the Impulse 31, there is a long stud in the middle of the battery tray for the battery hold down. I haven't tried doing a lot of testing with a single pack just down one side, so I'm not sure how it would/could balance, but if you wanted to do away with the hold-down, and just rely on Velcro or add some straps, you could remove the stud very easily and open up the battery trays.

Personally, from my experience with this, and other monos, it might make sense to, even if you only need one single 4S pack, to put some balast (maybe a box the same size the 4S pack) on the other side to balance the boat, and also add some weight to help keep the boat on the water at higher speeds. In pretty much EVERY mono I've ever raced, as the speeds increase, you need to add weight to maintain handling. As soon as the hull separates from the water, handling goes to hell. Keeping a portion of the keel in the water, guiding the boat along, really helps handling and stabitlity, and the ability to put the power fully down!

steveo
06-28-2011, 05:15 PM
but what i want to know is will the boat handle the castle 2028 on 10s. jk- super sweet boat though, some great stuff coming out

Diesel6401
07-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Darin i noticed at the 3:48 mark on the new "On the Horizon" video the coupler isn't the normal PB coupler we are use to, but is a staight (set screw) coupler. Is this wire drive?

Darin Jordan
07-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Darin i noticed at the 3:48 mark on the new "On the Horizon" video the coupler isn't the normal PB coupler we are use to, but is a staight (set screw) coupler. Is this wire drive?

No... it has a .150" flex cable...

Diesel6401
07-02-2011, 07:01 PM
No... it has a .150" flex cable...

Thanks, im getting ancy on this boat... Im ready for her :rockon2:

lonneyb
07-04-2011, 12:05 PM
Depends on what kinds of packs you're running.

For 2s1p, I just run normal 5.5mm bullets negative on esc to negative on one battery, positive on esc to positive on other battery, and the remaining two together.

If you have two 4s packs and want them in parallel, you'll need a y adapter on each ESC wire.

If you have 2s packs and want to combine them into 4s2p you'll need the two y adapters as well as plugging the packs together like I do.

That would be what i would want to do i have 2 Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack...do u have a link to the Y adaptor or a diagram to make one>?
Thanx in advance

SpektrumAndrew
07-07-2011, 08:50 PM
I've got one on back order at my LHS can't wait to get it.

JackBlack26
07-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Is the stuffing tube chambered because it does not have a stinger? Boat looks great. I just hope the lid isn't thin plastic like the Geico.

wparsons
07-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Nope, but having it chambered gives you MUCH more room to adjust it. You typically can't get as much adjustment out of a stinger either.

ray schrauwen
07-25-2011, 08:57 AM

Yes, typically home made but, can be purchased from OSE.

ray schrauwen
07-25-2011, 09:06 AM
That would be what i would want to do i have 2 Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 4S 25~50C Lipo Pack...do u have a link to the Y adaptor or a diagram to make one>?
Thanx in advance

One Y should have one female at bottom and two males at the top, the other needs to be opposite. One male at bottom & 2 female at top.

Plug each pack into the pairs of Y wires and then you have a pair left for input to esc.

Make sure you connect positive to positive and negative to negative or :flashfire: .

dmwilson09
07-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Would 2 - 2S SPC 4700 mAh 25 Lipo packs be more than enough for this boat. Also, can the electronics on this boat handle 6S?

dmwilson09
07-29-2011, 12:16 PM

The hull has a unique spray rail design that should help keep it from submarining most of the time, as well...

Initial speeds are typical of the power system... ProBoat took all their boats out and did some radar testing, using bone stock, out of the box boats with stock, un-prepped ProBoat props and here are the notes they sent me for this boat:

Impulse 31
Stock – 32mph on 4S-45C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-25C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-50C
1.9” Prop – 48mph on 6S-25C (Yes, we know you told us not to try this prop with this setup, and as you warned, we fried the ESC on this setup)

So, I'd expect about 40 or so with the right prop on 4S and obviously much faster with more cells. And WAY faster with more motor! ;)

What prop would be recommended to get the boat to 40 plus on 4S?

wparsons
07-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Not sure about the prop, but if you're going to push it on 4s I would get 40C packs to be safe.

v-spec
07-29-2011, 01:30 PM
It'll do 40+ with an x445

slow-at-rc
07-29-2011, 01:38 PM
Mine is in the 40's or real close to it with a x445 with two Thunder power 40 c packs

cvlex
07-29-2011, 09:50 PM
Two 2S5000mAh packs or one 4S5000mAh pack for this boat?

Although I already have six ProTek 2S5000mAh40C packs for my Shockwave 26 BL and Miss Geico 29, it might be easier to charge one 4S pack than two 2S packs.

Any tips or recommendations are all welcome.

Thanks in advance,

cvlex

wparsons
07-29-2011, 10:48 PM
The stock battery holder is designed to hold two packs, either two 2s or two 4s packs. It could work with a single 4s, but it'll be easier with a pair of identical packs.

Brushless55
08-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I saw this boat today for the first time and dang I think it is the best looking RTR to date! :rockon2:

cvlex
08-03-2011, 11:01 AM
Mine arrived today.

One question:
The water-cooling tube runs rudder inlet -->BL motor-->ESC-->outlet.
Is it OK?

cvlex

v-spec
08-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Run it to the esc first then motor.

Darin Jordan
08-03-2011, 11:30 AM
Run it to the esc first then motor.

I concur with this... I always cool the motor first. The ESC doesn't usually require the level of cooling that the motor does.

Brushless55
08-03-2011, 11:36 AM
I concur with this... I always cool the motor first. The ESC doesn't usually require the level of cooling that the motor does.

and that's the way this is setup out of the box right?

Darin Jordan
08-03-2011, 11:52 AM
and that's the way this is setup out of the box right?

I don't know... I've never had one "out of the box"... Someone here could likely tell you though...

Honestly, either way, it doesn't REALLY matter for 95% of the users out there. The ESC isn't going to pass that much heat to the water, and the water pressure is going to be pretty high. As long as all the lines are connected, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

v-spec
08-03-2011, 12:19 PM

I've checked temps time and time again and here in California with 75-80 degree water the ESC NEEDS to be cooled first. I've seen temps drop over 25 degrees on the esc this way on the exact same setup. Ideally each would have their own fresh cool water source.

Brushless55
08-03-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't know... I've never had one "out of the box"... Someone here could likely tell you though...

Honestly, either way, it doesn't REALLY matter for 95% of the users out there. The ESC isn't going to pass that much heat to the water, and the water pressure is going to be pretty high. As long as all the lines are connected, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

just to give some props... I saw this Mono for the first time yesterday and I've got to say "WOW!"
to me the best looking and very solid RTR boat on the market right now :thumbup1:
I'm going to get one soon as I sell a few things off first...

Darin Jordan
08-03-2011, 12:58 PM
I've checked temps time and time again and here in California with 75-80 degree water the ESC NEEDS to be cooled first. I've seen temps drop over 25 degrees on the esc this way on the exact same setup. Ideally each would have their own fresh cool water source.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this. This is assuming that the ESC will fail under the same temps as the motor, which is generally not the case. The motor will start failing approaching 150-degrees F... The ESC should be able to withstand much higher temps...

You are correct in that IDEALLY, each would have it's own fresh-water supply...

indrumbum
08-03-2011, 06:05 PM
Darin I am a newbie to this, I just bought a impulse 31 and would like to run 6s on it, I have 2 3s 35c 5000mah. What would you suggest I change in order to do this?
New esc?
New esc and motor?
Any recommendations very much appreciated.

Larry

johnf
08-04-2011, 05:34 PM
Darin I am a newbie to this, I just bought a impulse 31 and would like to run 6s on it, I have 2 3s 35c 5000mah. What would you suggest I change in order to do this?
New esc?
New esc and motor?
Any recommendations very much appreciated.

Larry

Have you run it on 4s yet? Why the desire for 6s?

indrumbum
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
i have run it on 4s, looking for more speed, run 6s for about 1 minute and it screamed, but i didn't want to chance burning anything up so i put the 4s back in.
Today on 4s I tried running x445 prop. quicker out of hole, on top of water more, flipped it on second turn. drained battery quickly. Have a prather 230 on it now, waiting for batteries to charge. After that I have a x447/3 waiting to be put on.
There just happened to be a nitro race in my city today so I was able to find some used props that were already sharp, and balanced for cheap.

Larry

indrumbum
08-04-2011, 10:33 PM
Ran stock with Prather 230 prop, was really impressed with the speed increase, handled pretty well also.
I put on the 447/3, after I took off and made first turn remote control started acting wierd, I was bringing it back and it would not shut down and rammed into bank. Found that the receiver had got wet. Guess I will take the time to use hockey tape from now on. I will try that prop tomorrow but I believe the Prather 230 is going to be tough to beat. The only downside is the runtime on the Prather. It zapped the batteries pretty quickly.

indrumbum
08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
waited several hours and reassembled, steering now working but throttle not working. How can I check to see if it is the receiver (mr200) or the esc?

Larry

cvlex
08-05-2011, 03:37 AM
Another question:
In the parts bag, there is a short piece of silicon tube, 10mm OD, 6mm ID, 40mm long.
How to use this?

Thanks in advance,

cvlex

Darin Jordan
08-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Another question:
In the parts bag, there is a short piece of silicon tube, 10mm OD, 6mm ID, 40mm long.
How to use this?

Thanks in advance,

cvlex

If I'm not mistaken, that's the piece that goes over the long screw in the center of the battery hold-down. It's to keep the batteries from rubbing against the threads.

I cut mine in half, and stack it when using 4S packs (for 4S2P)...

cvlex
08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
If I'm not mistaken, that's the piece that goes over the long screw in the center of the battery hold-down. It's to keep the batteries from rubbing against the threads.

I cut mine in half, and stack it when using 4S packs (for 4S2P)...

Hi Darin,

Thank you so much for your quick reply.
As I use two 2S5000mAh packs, I cut the tube in half and it fits perfectly.
Thanks again,

cvlex

cvlex
08-06-2011, 04:45 AM
Today I maidened my Impulse 31 with two ProTek2S5000mAh40C hard case packs.
Our club fellow Shiro took some pics.

cvlex

57245 57246 57247

gcobra16
08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
In stock form can the impulse handle 2 3S lipos?

de-pro
08-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Hi everyone. first off, its great to be a part of this community. Lots of good info and tons of good reading.
I am not new to RC's but I am new to RC boats. I picked up an Impulse 31 as my first boat and I am glad I picked that over a Spartan. The boat runs good for an RTR with all stock electronics. All I had to do was to advance the timing to get a little more out of it. I dont have lots of money left to upgrade much on this boat although I will be trying out the Aquacraft 2030kv motor.
The only thing that I cant figure out is the occasional cutting out of the power. Its been like that from day one. Basically I run the boat for a few minutes and then it just cuts off for a minute or so and starts running again. The first thing anyone may suspect is the ESC thermaling. However at the end of a hard run I never got the motor or ESC hitting above 105-110.
The only other thing I can think of is signal loss to the radio and triggering the failsafe. I use my DX3S radio (with the proper firmware to work with marine receivers), the long antenna on the receiver is sticking out vertically and short one horizontally. Please keep in mind this problem happens only when the boat is around 3 or 400 feet away in the water.
Any suggestions to get rid of this annoying problem is appreciated.

v-spec
08-07-2011, 11:05 AM
The bullets on the motor to esc are only 3.5mm maybe they are getting hot and desoldering. I know that happened to me some years ago on a similar proboat motor and caused the same problem, even more so since you advanced the timing which would heat things up more.

de-pro
08-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. I never run 3.5mm bullets on any of my trucks. I was just waiting to get the new motor before I change them.
As a side note, speaking of bad solder joints, check this out
http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww105/savageskidoo/IMG00483-20110806-1521.jpg

The bullets on the motor to esc are only 3.5mm maybe they are getting hot and desoldering. I know that happened to me some years ago on a similar proboat motor and caused the same problem, even more so since you advanced the timing which would heat things up more.

v-spec
08-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Ouch! Don't feel bad I just had a bad solder on one of my esc wires for the very first time. I was glad it was something so simple though instead of something expensive. Are you going to run the 2030kv UL-1 motor? I've got that as my spec motor for mine. It's almost as fast as my big motor with the prop I'm using on it now, should run great!

dmwilson09
08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
Will that UL-1 motor be a drop in replacement that would work well with the stock waterjacket and stock esc?

v-spec
08-07-2011, 12:38 PM
Will that UL-1 motor be a drop in replacement that would work well with the stock waterjacket and stock esc?

YES, perfect and great with the stock esc as well. Just gotta change bullet connectors.

Brushless55
08-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Brushless55
08-07-2011, 12:47 PM

I'm very curious of how that UL-1 motor runs vs the stock motor...

Brushless55
08-07-2011, 12:57 PM
In stock form can the impulse handle 2 3S lipos?

to much for the esc
may get a good run out of it, but I will possibly ruin the esc

v-spec
08-07-2011, 12:57 PM
I'm very curious of how that UL-1 motor runs vs the stock motor...

About 4mph faster than the pb 1800kv with the same m545 prop and 11 degrees hotter.

Brushless55
08-07-2011, 12:58 PM
About 4mph faster than the pb 1800kv with the same m545 prop and 11 degrees hotter.

love those motors!

de-pro
08-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Funny enough that Y connector run fine on my land vehicles. The solder is actually gets melted inside the EC5 connector. The connectors get very warm with the thicker awg wire but with the newer Y connector and thinner wires, the connector is cooler. I guess the thicker wire allows more current through.I still have some extra room on the esc since as I mentioned it runs under 110 on the cap. Run times may get effected and I hope my flightmax 30c batteries can handle it. If not, I have some Gen Ace 40c on order from Hobbypartz. I am currently getting 140 on the batteries and after advancing the timing the temp on the battery went down by 10 degrees.

Ouch! Don't feel bad I just had a bad solder on one of my esc wires for the very first time. I was glad it was something so simple though instead of something expensive. Are you going to run the 2030kv UL-1 motor? I've got that as my spec motor for mine. It's almost as fast as my big motor with the prop I'm using on it now, should run great!

RIPFENCE
08-07-2011, 05:47 PM
guys i got my impulse up to 58 today with a catle 1520 on 6s1p crammed into the boat and an x645 prop..just so everyone is aware the hatch cannot take crashes above 45 mph...the gelcoat will chip off real easy..i am on my third hatch already..i am going to keep a brand new on hand for shelf queen purposes and reinforce my chipped hatches with carbon fiber..one other thing i have noticed when speed chasing is that the hull is super sensitive to the use of trim tabs..the boat wanted to fly until i started lowering the tabs..now its turning into a rocket in calm water with the tabs lowered...i have room to prop up and should be in the low sixties which is more the enough for this hull

ron1950
08-07-2011, 06:16 PM
sounds like u got it going fast enough......now what are you going to do with it? race or sport etc?

RIPFENCE
08-07-2011, 06:33 PM
just enjoy for sport running around...i never race or anything im just a dumb sportboater who overpowers everything..lol

gcobra16
08-07-2011, 06:33 PM

Impulse 31
Stock – 32mph on 4S-45C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-25C
Stock – 47mph on 6S-50C

Darin: Stock - 47mph on 6S - 50C. Is that two 3S - 50C battery's?

v-spec
08-07-2011, 06:55 PM
guys i got my impulse up to 58 today with a catle 1520 on 6s1p crammed into the boat and an x645 prop..just so everyone is aware the hatch cannot take crashes above 45 mph...the gelcoat will chip off real easy..i am on my third hatch already..

Mine busted going about 30mph. It's flexes right in front of the glued in flotation and cracks the paint off. Can you post some pics of your setup? What flex cable were you using?

RIPFENCE
08-07-2011, 08:35 PM
i am using a hughey .187 flex cable..i just removed the teflon liner in the boat and iy works fine..i had to lift the motor up a hair to accomodate the bigger aeromarine collet..barely has enough clerence to spin but it does...i also had to trim the stuffing tube back a touch so the collet would fit

gcobra16
08-07-2011, 09:08 PM
Thanks.

v-spec
08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
i am using a hughey .187 flex cable..i just removed the teflon liner in the boat and iy works fine..i had to lift the motor up a hair to accomodate the bigger aeromarine collet..barely has enough clerence to spin but it does...i also had to trim the stuffing tube back a touch so the collet would fit

Ok cool, I'm using a .187 cable too but I used a setscrew collet because my octura was monstrous. Looks like you just got it to fit. Get some video up if you can.

cvlex
08-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Our club fellow Sadatoshi took a short vid of the second run of my Impulse 31.
You may watch some bouncing or porpoising at the straight run on the vid, 00:49 to 1:31.
How to fix this ?

Any tips or advice are all welcome,

Thanks in advance,

cvlex

http://youtu.be/5fS6Y0focco?t=49s

v-spec
08-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Our club fellow Sadatoshi took a short vid of the second run of my Impulse 31.
You may watch some bouncing or porpoising at the straight run on the vid, 00:49 to 1:31.
How to fix this ?

Mine did that as well, I had to do a few things to get it to completely go away the first being moving the cg further forward with the lightweight battery packs. I also have the strut raised up 1/4 inch from the original location and added 1.5 degrees negative angle on the rear of the strut. I had to remove the upper strut bolt to do that but it's rock steady stable now. My cg is 8.75 inches from the rear of the transom not the transom overhang.

Tell your club buddy thanks for the video and you can also tell him the name of the band he put in your video is UVERworld I'd bet he'd be really surprised.

cvlex
08-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Mine did that as well, I had to do a few things to get it to completely go away the first being moving the cg further forward with the lightweight battery packs. I also have the strut raised up 1/4 inch from the original location and added 1.5 degrees negative angle on the rear of the strut. I had to remove the upper strut bolt to do that but it's rock steady stable now. My cg is 8.75 inches from the rear of the transom not the transom overhang.

Hi v-spec,

Thank you so much for your kind help.

The CG of mine is 8.46 inches. I wish to run with further foward CG.

BTW, I am a bit confused about your strut setting. I think that if you raise the strut up, the transom is pressed down, the bow up and the boat might become unstable...

http://www.modelpowerboat.com/content.php?118-rc-boat-hull-attitude

Please pardon me if I am wrong.

Thanks again,

cvlex

de-pro
08-08-2011, 10:05 PM
those 3.5mm connectors gotta go. I checked them today and noticed two of them were almost fused together. Used electrical tape for now.
Does anyone know an upgrade flex shaft for this boat without doing too much mod.

de-pro
08-14-2011, 09:08 PM
So finally I got the UL-1 motor and replaced the stock with it. Also changed the motor/esc connectors to 5.5mm. The good news, she rocks and the cutting out problem went away. The bad news, I could not make the stock motor cooling jacket to work with the ul-1 motor. She was leaking like crazy. a friend came to rescue with the stock spartan cooling jacket. She fit perfectly and no leaks. The new motor did not put any more strain on the batteries or the esc. There is more room for the boat to go faster though. I like to try out a different prop.

[QUOTE=v-spec;345731]The bullets on the motor to esc are only 3.5mm maybe they are getting hot and desoldering. /QUOTE]

Brushless55
08-14-2011, 11:46 PM
what prop are you using with the UL-1 motor?

Brushless55
08-14-2011, 11:47 PM

de-pro
08-15-2011, 07:35 AM
The stock prop

what prop are you using with the UL-1 motor?

roadrashracing
08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
would a grim racer prop 40x53 be to small for this boat? I am running stock radio gear and 2 7 cell packs. Should I also assume it would be a great idea to upgrade motor connectors?

roadrashracing
08-28-2011, 10:35 PM
anyone?:blink: