PDA

View Full Version : LiFePo?

Doug B
06-14-2011, 12:23 AM
So is there any reason that Life packs are a problem in a boat? They seem alot safer, and are advertised as having more cycle life, so other than the lower voltage, any drawbacks or things I should be aware of before making a battery purchase?

Boaterguy
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Discharge and Capacity, I think that's the only reason lipo's are run, I may be wrong though.

sailr
06-14-2011, 07:33 PM
They will NOT deliver instant power. Their power curve will dip below cutoff momentarily and then you're SCLEWED! I have a very close friend who is a battery chemical engineer at the largest battery factory in china. He has verified this.

They work in cars because the cars are geared and don't demand enormous amp spikes like boats do. The liFE batts don't work well in airplanes either unless you eeeaaaassse into the throttle.

Also, liFE cells are big, heavy, very limited capacity, and overpriced. Other than that I guess they're OK.

Doug B
06-14-2011, 08:02 PM
dang, I hate getting sclewed. Thanks sailr, I actually did a search and found your post regarding it.. so not for anything fast, but perfect for a tugboat :)

Boaterguy
06-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Why was the batt type created if lipo exists, might as well have the power there, even if you don't need it, the same capacity life to lipo, the lipo is much lighter.

sailr
06-14-2011, 08:17 PM
LiFE's were created for totally different purposes but r/c car guys thought they would work and so they do...for THEM.

They would be GREAT in a tugboat!

Boaterguy
06-14-2011, 08:19 PM
I see I see

Doug B
06-14-2011, 08:29 PM
they really dont work for offroad cars, I have heard rumors of people using them, but I don't know anyone running them off road in central ohio, and I know pretty much everyone that actively races at a track.

LiFe packs are alot safer, and Im sure they are in widespread use somewhere.. maybe in Prius's (wtf is plural for that?) where safety is very important.. or military applications.. whatever.. we racers got luck that lipos were 3.7 V or whatever as opposed to the older 1.2 X 6 setup.. instant voltage bump..

My thoughts were running the spartan I picked up on 2 6S LiFe packs, in parallel, so I don't roach motors left and right.. and I may still do that, with lipos and 5S packs.. just thinking about it, might also go the parallel 3 S packs route.. but I know what comes after that :S

Boaterguy
06-14-2011, 08:56 PM
they really dont work for offroad cars, I have heard rumors of people using them, but I don't know anyone running them off road in central ohio, and I know pretty much everyone that actively races at a track.

LiFe packs are alot safer, and Im sure they are in widespread use somewhere.. maybe in Prius's (wtf is plural for that?) where safety is very important.. or military applications.. whatever.. we racers got luck that lipos were 3.7 V or whatever as opposed to the older 1.2 X 6 setup.. instant voltage bump..

My thoughts were running the spartan I picked up on 2 6S LiFe packs, in parallel, so I don't roach motors left and right.. and I may still do that, with lipos and 5S packs.. just thinking about it, might also go the parallel 3 S packs route.. but I know what comes after that :S

There isnt plural, they didn't plan on selling more than one.:bounce:

sanyijr
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM
Boaterguy, :iagree:

This post might get moved to "JOKES" forum before you know it.

Excellent point! :tape:

Boaterguy
06-16-2011, 03:59 PM
hee hee, jokes are usually not true, or exaggerated, so thsi will stay for now.