PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a first boat

Superdave
06-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi guys. Decided to give boating a try after 30+ land RC's in the last 15 years. I'm well versed in Brushless set up and tinkering so I'm not looking for the most "Noobie" kit on the market. At first I was all about the Traxxas Spartan until it turned out to be a turd! I have 2 sets of lipo's and would like to get a boat that will work off what I have if possible. I have 2 4c 5400's. I was thinking of running in parralell for long run times. Problem is these are not small and light batteries so not sure they will fit in most RTR boats? I also have 2 3c 3300's that are the same size a 2c 5000. I have looked at most of the popular RTR's...MG, Montley Crew, SV27R...etc I could go V or tunnell hull. Bottom line I don't want a boat that's to finiky and will be flipping over alot. Any help would be much appriciated.

Diesel6401
06-14-2011, 03:16 AM
Hi guys. Decided to give boating a try after 30+ land RC's in the last 15 years. I'm well versed in Brushless set up and tinkering so I'm not looking for the most "Noobie" kit on the market. At first I was all about the Traxxas Spartan until it turned out to be a turd! I have 2 sets of lipo's and would like to get a boat that will work off what I have if possible. I have 2 4c 5400's. I was thinking of running in parralell for long run times. Problem is these are not small and light batteries so not sure they will fit in most RTR boats? I also have 2 3c 3300's that are the same size a 2c 5000. I have looked at most of the popular RTR's...MG, Montley Crew, SV27R...etc I could go V or tunnell hull. Bottom line I don't want a boat that's to finiky and will be flipping over alot. Any help would be much appriciated.

Welcome to OSE...

- Your 4s 5400's are kinda big, so like you mentioned not likely to fit in most rc boats. What "C" rating are those?
- Your 3300mah 3s batts, the mah is to low for most boats. Boats are amp hogs, so battery selection is very critical more so then on cars/planes

* you want a stable hull, so you mention a v hull; out of stock right now though. http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html

that boat will need your own tx/rx and servo but the 2 4s batts you have paralleled should run great.

murphy3428
06-14-2011, 09:26 AM
The Titan 29 hull is a great hull to start with very stable plenty of room to work on it will handle speeds in the low 50's.

G-UNIT
06-14-2011, 09:57 AM
The UL1 hydro is fast and fun, also reliable out of the box, it will go in the 40s otb and into the 50s with just a prop change and runs on 4s 2x2s.

millzee
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
has anyone ran the rtr delta yet, I nearly ordered one of these before I decided to build my own.
http://www.deltaforcehobby.com/rtr06.html

Superdave
06-14-2011, 03:34 PM
Welcome to OSE...

- Your 4s 5400's are kinda big, so like you mentioned not likely to fit in most rc boats. What "C" rating are those?

They are 35C hardcase

* you want a stable hull, so you mention a v hull; out of stock right now though. http://kintecracing.com/Pursuit.html

that boat will need your own tx/rx and servo but the 2 4s batts you have paralleled should run great.

Will this boat be able to handle 2 bigger 4s batteries and have the room? The boat looks awsome, very similar to the traxxas which made me want a boat in the first place!

Diesel6401
06-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Will this boat be able to handle 2 bigger 4s batteries and have the room? The boat looks awsome, very similar to the traxxas which made me want a boat in the first place!

Spartan :thumbsdown: what a failure...

No this is a actual FE boat, not plastic junk, this will out handle, out run and out perform a spartan in every way possible. JMHO

I actually fit 2 6s lipos in this boat (just for a picture not to actually run, my setup will NEVER run 6s)... And they fit.. I run 4s2p in my boat. I run 2 4s 3600mah packs paralleled. Your packs should fit.

Here's mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az0zIeJiZJA&feature=channel_video_title

Here;s the pics of 6s2p (just images) http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showpost.php?p=325136&postcount=15

Superdave
06-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Cool, thanks diesel. A few questions, bare with me I'm a noob

-What does FE mean? i see it everywhere on this site.

- Do you not need battery trays with straps to keep the batteries from flying around?

- Why do some boats have all the electronics sealed and this one doesn't? Does it really matter?

-What are the upgrades that need to be done? I see 1 pc drive shaft seems popular.

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming. Knowledge is power. I am deffinatly gonna get this Pursuit once I find out all that I need!

Diesel6401
06-15-2011, 01:11 AM
Cool, thanks diesel. A few questions, bare with me I'm a noob

-What does FE mean? i see it everywhere on this site.

- Do you not need battery trays with straps to keep the batteries from flying around?

- Why do some boats have all the electronics sealed and this one doesn't? Does it really matter?

-What are the upgrades that need to be done? I see 1 pc drive shaft seems popular.

Thanks for the help guys keep it coming. Knowledge is power. I am deffinatly gonna get this Pursuit once I find out all that I need!

- FE = Fast Electric
- Nope just industrial strength velcro for me
- Example on what you mean?
- 1pc drive shaft is a great option I run a .187 3/16 flexcable with one. It makes it easier to remove to lube/ inspect the flexshaft and is more reliable. The 2pc shaft is a nightmare. You have to remove the strut just to get the cable out :ThumbsDown01:

Superdave
06-15-2011, 01:44 AM
I will pretend that I know what all that means.....lol

Diesel6401
06-15-2011, 01:54 AM
I will pretend that I know what all that means.....lol

:laugh:

Do you have an example of what boats you mean with this statment:

.187 is the diameter of the flexcable. 3/16 is the diameter of the shaft. Here is an example http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ose-1190

The thicker the flexcable the more amount of torque and power it can handle. Most rtr boats like the Motley Crew and Miss Geico for example come with .150 3/16 flexables. Hopefully that makes sense.

Superdave
06-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I've seen pic's of a few boats that have the electronics mounted inside a box with a plexi cover to keep them dry.

wparsons
06-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Gas/nitro boats all run a separate radio box, but most FE boats just have one big sealed chamber. By taping on the hatch it's sealed very well.

Diesel6401
06-15-2011, 09:19 PM
I've seen pic's of a few boats that have the electronics mounted inside a box with a plexi cover to keep them dry.

Well now that I really think about it there are a few electric boats with boxes like you said.

- BJ26
- Miss Elam
- Rio EP

* Those come to mind right now. Majority of electric boats don't have those though. Really good job taping the hatch down and a good setup normally keeps the water out well. I did a video on how to waterproof your rx and esc on youtube just for the chance something happens and water gets in. Some guys don't like the waterproofing the esc trick, thinks the waterproofing spray will trap the heat inside, me personally I have yet to see an issue with any on my esc's I have waterproofed.

Superdave
06-16-2011, 10:51 AM
Makes sence, got a link to your video?